Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2017, 11:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta
State: California
THOR #3975
Grand Canyon North Rim - Cape Royal road in 24 Class C?

Just wondered if anyone was familiar with the North Rim of the Grand Canyon - specifically the road to Cape Royal. Any reason not to do this drive in our Thor Siesta? It's supposed to be spectacular - but one Trip Advisor review said they would not do it in an RV. No details on that comment, tho...

My wife and I are spending 2 nights at the N Rim CG, and one night at the Lodge, in mid July, celebrating our 3rd anniversary (newlyweds in our 60s!), and are fairly new to RVing.

If you don't have an answer, perhaps you can recommend another place to ask this kind of question.

Thanks in advance
Dan

Old 05-19-2017, 11:47 PM   #2

THOR #3975
Sorry - that's "24 FOOT Class C"... altho you probably figured that out.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:56 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I haven't driven the roads in the area (only been on the roads near the South Rim) but offer an alternative if no one responds (LOL! What am I thinking its the Grand Canyon I'm sure someone on here has been this way).

As an alternative you can use street view to follow the roads and see for yourself. In fact, if you install Google Earth (yeah that still exists) you can program a route and sit back and "drive it": GE will follow the route along the street view. I frequently do this before driving a route I/we haven't traveled on.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:13 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
In 2013, either last week of May or first week of June, I drove a 30-foot rented Class C to the end of the road to Angel's Window. I've driven that road a few times over the years and don't recall any reason I wouldn't do it again.

It is narrow at times, and tree branches can hang close to or over edge of road, but with care it's not bad.

Unless they have added RV restrictions since my latest visit, I would recommend driving it to see Angel's Window. There are other points of interest/view along way also, but my favorite is the overlook at end.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:36 AM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I don't know but now you've got me wondering about doing that, or maybe some other similar treks in my 31L
Something else for me to research....
I don't want to get crazy, but I so much would like to get off the beaten path a bit when we go out there.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:45 AM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
ha ha
well, if you go to google street view
they don't have images of the road out there
but go take a look at the north rim road where the road out to point Royal turns off.... You'll see a class c about the size of my 31 ft turning onto the road.

It looks like a nice paved road on google maps... I was expecting some potentially rough dirt two-track jeep trail
Old 05-20-2017, 02:12 AM   #7

THOR #2121
blw2, it was nicely paved all the way when I was there. I think the main concerns are elevation (+/- 8,000 feet), tight turns, and steep (but short) grades near end. My main concern was not scratching side of RV on overhanging trees. Mostly, road was narrow by highway standards as I recall.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:25 AM   #8
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
We did the North Rim about 5 years ago...camped in Page and rode the dresser to the North Rim...I am not familiar with the road in question, but we did find that many of the roads in that area are unimproved...which kept us on blacktop. I think,if you go to the Grand Canyon website, and lookup maps, you will find the information you are looking for too.

Have fun ! We had lunch at the Lodge...it is beautiful ! with great views !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #9

THOR #3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I haven't driven the roads in the area (only been on the roads near the South Rim) but offer an alternative if no one responds (LOL! What am I thinking its the Grand Canyon I'm sure someone on here has been this way).

As an alternative you can use street view to follow the roads and see for yourself. In fact, if you install Google Earth (yeah that still exists) you can program a route and sit back and "drive it": GE will follow the route along the street view. I frequently do this before driving a route I/we haven't traveled on.
Great idea - thanks!

D
Old 05-20-2017, 01:04 PM   #10
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by lspotho View Post
Great idea - thanks!

D
We agree with Jamie ... Google Earth and Satellite view are excellent tools when traveling unfamiliar routes.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:13 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I just did that too! Used the camper to go to a concert nearby but all our normal routes were closed due to construction (Michigan has two seasons: Winter and construction season). Used streetview to see the landmarks and bridge heights along my planned route before leaving the house.

Also used Michigan's Michigan Drive interactive map--if you plan to visit or frequent Michigan bookmark that site (or install the app). It shows you everything going on with Michigan's freeways (and you can view the camera's too).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:04 PM   #12

THOR #2121
The view from up there is spectacular. Well worth the drive. You'll be about 5,000 feet over the Colorado River. Sorry about poor picture quality; was taken by a family member.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5100.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	4991  
Old 05-20-2017, 05:57 PM   #13

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I just did that too! Used the camper to go to a concert nearby but all our normal routes were closed due to construction (Michigan has two seasons: Winter and construction season). Used streetview to see the landmarks and bridge heights along my planned route before leaving the house.

Also used Michigan's Michigan Drive interactive map--if you plan to visit or frequent Michigan bookmark that site (or install the app). It shows you everything going on with Michigan's freeways (and you can view the camera's too).
OMG you're so right about the construction in Michigan. We took 94 from northwest Indiana up to Wayland yesterday. All we saw were State Police giving out tickets and construction that included stopped traffic, it was not a fun drive.