Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Machinetools1's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29m
State: California
Posts: 124
THOR #16201
Great camping spot in California

This spot is the best for bondocking. So peaceful and the stars at night are totally Awsome. This is Alabama Hills, just outside of Lone Pine on Highway 395. Click image for larger version

Name:	1001191834b.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	20926Click image for larger version

Name:	1001191835a.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	20927Click image for larger version

Name:	1001191834.jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	20928
__________________

__________________
Machinetools1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
Posts: 1,009
THOR #13362
I just pulled it up on Google Satellite Maps
I can see exactly where you stayed
Looks great, just 3.5hrs from me, and a nice stop-over on way to Yosemite
Thanks for sharing
__________________

__________________
'17 Vegas 24.1
taylorbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Machinetools1's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29m
State: California
Posts: 124
THOR #16201
Very cool spot. You can stay up to 42 days for free according to BLM. There are a ton of hiking areas and if your into mountain biking. There are places to dump and fill up your water tanks up 395. I was told Owens Valley never has to pay for water so it is plentifully in the area.
__________________
Machinetools1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:50 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
gnach's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
Posts: 631
THOR #6582
Very cool spot! I haven't been yet but the Wynns reported on it https://www.gonewiththewynns.com/Ala...ree-RV-Camping
Their coordinates were https://www.google.com/maps/@36.6138.../data=!3m1!1e3
__________________
I'm wearing trifocals now but my hindsight is 20/20.
*************
Bilsteins and Sumos front and rear...HUGE! FatMat and Hoodliner...HUGE!
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:52 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 16,265
THOR #8860
I always thought that the best Californian camping spots were in Nevada!

It is a really nice-looking spot!
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
"History shows again and again; how Nature points out the folly of Man!"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:37 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
SANDDOG's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Miramar 34.2
State: California
Posts: 133
THOR #14761
Jacks not downlove BLM IN ca

I grew up in Mammoth Lakes, ca totally get it itís beautiful area lots of open space to camp p, curious as to why you donít have your jacks down with your slide open that puts major stress on the gears and slide track. By the way did you check out the the RV campsite in Bishop California next to the golf.
__________________
Miramar 2017 34.2, roadmaster front & rear sway bars, sumo shock, Roadmaster stabilizer bar, Koni shocks, F150 crewcab coyote motor , 2004 40th #26th edition 911, E350 2 door coupe, Mini Paceman 2013 6 speed manual toad/ RV
SANDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:21 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Machinetools1's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29m
State: California
Posts: 124
THOR #16201
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDDOG View Post
I grew up in Mammoth Lakes, ca totally get it itís beautiful area lots of open space to camp p, curious as to why you donít have your jacks down with your slide open that puts major stress on the gears and slide track. By the way did you check out the the RV campsite in Bishop California next to the golf.
Hey SANDDOG....thanks for sharing. We are headed back in that direction again very soon and need a couple of other spots to check out if you can give us some helpful pointers.

We left Alabama Hills checked out Tuttle Creek and went to Bishop and checked out a place outside of Biship. I forgot the name but it was BLM and had hook ups, water and a place to dump. To many people and to tight a place for us. If there are other good areas we could check out that would be much appreciated. We will check out the R.V. Park by the Golf Course.

I guess it's hard to see but the jacks are down. The drivers front and rear wheels are slightly off the ground. We got there about 1/2 hour before dark. Spent the night there and then moved to a better location that was more of a flat area.Click image for larger version

Name:	1001191834a.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	21022Click image for larger version

Name:	1001191834.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	21023
__________________
Machinetools1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:41 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Machinetools1's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29m
State: California
Posts: 124
THOR #16201
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinetools1 View Post
hey sanddog....thanks for sharing. We are headed back in that direction again very soon and need a couple of other spots to check out if you can give us some helpful pointers.

We left alabama hills checked out tuttle creek and went to bishop and checked out a place outside of biship. I forgot the name but it was blm and had hook ups, water and a place to dump. To many people and to tight a place for us. If there are other good areas we could check out that would be much appreciated. We will check out the r.v. Park by the golf course.

I guess it's hard to see but the jacks are down. The drivers front and rear wheels are slightly off the ground. We got there about 1/2 hour before dark. Spent the night there and then moved to a better location that was more of a flat area.Attachment 21022Attachment 21023
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20191022-WA0003.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	21024Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20191022-WA0000.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	21025
__________________
Machinetools1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:25 AM   #9
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.2
State: California
Posts: 57
THOR #2580
I understand how people not from the desert may be in awe, however I live next to Joshua tree national park, California.
The star filled sky's are no joke I just love them.
though we sure don't want more desert scenes when we go on vacation I know we want water, green and fish
I do appreciate the information on the free camping that is a great thing.

Thank you
__________________
Jefvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:05 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Machinetools1's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29m
State: California
Posts: 124
THOR #16201
Where we live now is not to green, upper desert type terrain. The wind down by Joshua Tree can get intense. In your area is there any good spots you might recommend to stay at? Joshua Tree can get busy down there. I am not sure when the best time is to avoid people is. We camp all year long so the best time for us is when there is no crowds.
__________________
Machinetools1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:11 PM   #11
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.2
State: California
Posts: 57
THOR #2580
Joshua tree

Well in the winter months it's much cooler and the kids have all gone back to school so it slow way down.
We do get alot of Canada snow birds from November to late spring plus the European backpacking group however is much more pleasant for the visit.
Depending on the size of your rig you can stay in the national Monument if not depending on your budget there are several RV parks and moble home parks that take campers plus don't forget to look into the BLM land.
If your prior or active military you can stay at the marine base RV park I think it's around 3 or 350 per month
Good luck and safe travels.
__________________
Jefvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:03 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Machinetools1's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29m
State: California
Posts: 124
THOR #16201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefvm View Post
Well in the winter months it's much cooler and the kids have all gone back to school so it slow way down.
We do get alot of Canada snow birds from November to late spring plus the European backpacking group however is much more pleasant for the visit.
Depending on the size of your rig you can stay in the national Monument if not depending on your budget there are several RV parks and moble home parks that take campers plus don't forget to look into the BLM land.
If your prior or active military you can stay at the marine base RV park I think it's around 3 or 350 per month
Good luck and safe travels.
If we were to stay in BLM land do you recommend one place better than another.
__________________
Machinetools1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:56 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
SANDDOG's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Miramar 34.2
State: California
Posts: 133
THOR #14761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinetools1 View Post
Hey SANDDOG....thanks for sharing. We are headed back in that direction again very soon and need a couple of other spots to check out if you can give us some helpful pointers.

We left Alabama Hills checked out Tuttle Creek and went to Bishop and checked out a place outside of Biship. I forgot the name but it was BLM and had hook ups, water and a place to dump. To many people and to tight a place for us. If there are other good areas we could check out that would be much appreciated. We will check out the R.V. Park by the Golf Course.

I guess it's hard to see but the jacks are down. The drivers front and rear wheels are slightly off the ground. We got there about 1/2 hour before dark. Spent the night there and then moved to a better location that was more of a flat area.Attachment 21022Attachment 21023
. Hello machinetools, thank you regarding the jacks down couldnít tell but I see that all the time. As far as dry camping up 395 N. Mammoth Lakes has a couple of hook up areas as well as twin Lakes upper mammoth, your motorhome might be too big. check out Owens river road past Mammoth about 5 miles unbelievable trout fishing and you can dry camp and another 5 miles forward is June lake, doesnít get any better. Winter is a common so maybe this summer coming up
__________________
Miramar 2017 34.2, roadmaster front & rear sway bars, sumo shock, Roadmaster stabilizer bar, Koni shocks, F150 crewcab coyote motor , 2004 40th #26th edition 911, E350 2 door coupe, Mini Paceman 2013 6 speed manual toad/ RV
SANDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:03 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
SANDDOG's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Miramar 34.2
State: California
Posts: 133
THOR #14761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinetools1 View Post
If we were to stay in BLM land do you recommend one place better than another.
Hey just noticed you ride dirt bikes did you race in the mammoth motocross races, I had four Maicoís 450 and one was a Sandspider that Dave McCoy of mammoth mountain gave me to ride for a year broke my foot on it trying kick starting
__________________

__________________
Miramar 2017 34.2, roadmaster front & rear sway bars, sumo shock, Roadmaster stabilizer bar, Koni shocks, F150 crewcab coyote motor , 2004 40th #26th edition 911, E350 2 door coupe, Mini Paceman 2013 6 speed manual toad/ RV
SANDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×