Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2019, 02:05 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
We had planned on visiting Custer State park and the Mammoth digs in Hot Springs SD on Sunday.
But, we ran out of time.
One of DW’s brothers and his family were staying in cabins near where we were camped so we ended up spending time with them instead. We hadn’t seen one of DW’s nieces in over 10 years.
Also, had an early wake up and departure on Monday morning so we need to get the RV ready for travel.
Today, Monday, we left the campground at 7:30 am had a 9 hour trip to our first night’s stop in western Kansas.
Hope to be home mid day Wednesday.
The SD was fun even though short.

LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:43 PM   #22

State: Florida
THOR #13084
Just been to SD stying at a small but extremely friendly site called Big Pine. Custer is wonderful and you’ll love the State Park, Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:26 PM   #23

State: Florida
THOR #13084
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
We leave Sublimity Oregon this Friday nite or early Saturday morning, headed to Rapid City/Box Elder SD to establish our new South Dakota State residency..
have reservations @ Sacora Station (former Covered Wagon CG) for the week in Piedmont SD.. might see you guys...

If you get the chance to stay at Jim & Mary’s RV Park en route at Missoula, DO IT!!!
Old 06-27-2019, 02:47 AM   #24

THOR #12827
Our South Dakota trip is complete. Put a little over 2500 miles on the RV in 10 days. Actually the RV driving was all done in 6 days, because for the remaining 4, it was parked at the RV Park in Keystone SD.
I learned a few lessons, reacquainted my self with a few others and made some observations.
Since this was our first long trip in our Class C, I learned how to drive a 32 Ft motorhome, towing another vehicle. By this I mean, I learned not to follow to close in traffic. Automobiles can stop much faster than an RV. I learned to CAREFULLY check out the area you plan to use a a turnaround. Got myself into a jam twice because I misjudged the turning radius. One time I had to disconnect the toad to get out of the situation.
I learned how to use the brake pedal to down shift in order to decelerate faster.
I learned to watch out for some truckers. They obviously don’t like RV’s. Got cut off more than once by a semi going back into the right lane after passing me.
I relearned that I am not as young as I used to be. I need to plan shorter driving days. On the way home, I drove 9-1/2 hours one day, 8 another and 6 the third day. In the future, 5 hours a day max will be my objective.
I relearned not to fully trust GPS. Several times it wanted me to go in the opposite direction I needed to go. Luckily I had also looked at my intended route on Google maps the night before, so I knew when GPS was in error. Also, GPS’s ETA is only a WAG. Gas and potty stops are not part of its calculations.
Some observations:
Many of our Interstate highways are in poor to bad shape. Disintegrating pavement, perpetual construction, closing lanes, poor repairs and neglect are among the reasons. I wish our politicians in D.C. would put aside their petty political feuds and pass legislation to fix our infrastructure. They all say it’s need but none of the will do anything about it.
The Missouri River flooding has damaged many miles of highways. If this river has a history of flooding, then WHY didn’t they build these roads to avoid being flooded out every year.
I was surprised by the number of campgrounds that offer WiFi, but not cable or satellite TV channels and are located where there is little or no OTA TV available.
Usually trying to stream over their WiFi is unsuccessful too. Fortunately for me, we carry our own hotspot. I’d like local TV access for weather and live news..
Hopefully I will be able to remember all of this the next time we take a long trip.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:56 PM   #25

Model: Chateau Super C 35SF
State: Kansas
THOR #11472
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
Our long planned trip to S Dakota (Black Hills) is set to begin next Monday.
I used Trip Wizard to plot the route from Central Arkansas to the Rapid City area.
We were planning to take I-40 to I-49 and at Kansas City, pick up I-29 to I-90.
Our first nights stop is at Nevada Mo. and the second night at Onawa Ia. so we really need to stay as close as we can along the I-29 route.
However, on the local news tonight, I learned that I-29 is closed from just north of St, Joseph Mo. to Omaha Nebraska due to the flooding from the Missouri River.
Went to the Iowa and Mo. traffic websites and their suggested detour is to take I-35 out of Kansas City to Des Moines Iowa, then I-80 west to I- 680 to where it joins I-29 north.
This adds about 100 miles and a couple of hours to that day’s travel.
I was looking at alternate routes and it looks like I could pick up US-71 off of I-29 just north of St. Joseph and take it into Iowa to I-80 west. This only adds about 40 statute miles to the trip.
Does anyone have experience taking US-71?
Or, can anyone offer another route.
Thanks for any input.

US 71 is a good alternative. The irony is that none of I-29 is underwater, but a lot of the roads at the exits are. Those of us who would travel I-29 between Kansas Citiy and Omaha, without exiting the interstate, are baffled at why the highway department can't simply close the exits and let people travel through on I-29.

Kim
Old 06-29-2019, 08:26 PM   #26

THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCKim View Post
US 71 is a good alternative. The irony is that none of I-29 is underwater, but a lot of the roads at the exits are. Those of us who would travel I-29 between Kansas Citiy and Omaha, without exiting the interstate, are baffled at why the highway department can't simply close the exits and let people travel through on I-29.

Kim
I agree, US 71 was a good alternative. I had originally planned to take it up to I-80 before turning west. However, when I got up to US 34 in Iowa, the detour signs said to take it since I-29 was open from there north.
But, as I had stated in an earlier post, US 34 was in terrible shape regarding the condition of the roadway.
When we did get on I-29, the water levels on both sides were very close to the pavement. There were some exits that were still closed.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:16 PM   #27

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: Nebraska
THOR #3161
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
The Missouri River flooding has damaged many miles of highways. If this river has a history of flooding, then WHY didn’t they build these roads to avoid being flooded out every year.
I have lived in Omaha for 52 years and this is only the second time that I remember that the Missouri has flooded to the extent it has this year. I-29 has only been closed due to flooding in 2011 and this year. It hasn't flooded every year.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:31 PM   #28

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
State: Texas
THOR #13025
I have been towing a toad for 20 plus years and never felt any effects of going down hills including going down hill in the Rocky Mountains. Are You sure you are feeling your toad going down hills?
Old 06-30-2019, 04:59 PM   #29

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
State: Texas
THOR #13025
You may have a baseplate set up wrong and your to bar at the wrong height.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:14 PM   #30

THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glensouth View Post
I have been towing a toad for 20 plus years and never felt any effects of going down hills including going down hill in the Rocky Mountains. Are You sure you are feeling your toad going down hills?
I feel something when first descending a fairly steep incline, more like a nudge.
I can’t compare it to driving without the toad because I haven’t driven on the same roads when not towing.
Recently experienced the sensation going south out of the Black Hills in South Dakota on US 385.
It doesn’t feel like a consistent push, just a nudge when first descending.
There’s a photo of my tow bar setup in post #12 of this thread.
It’s not something I’m really concerned about. It doesn’t affect control of the rig, I originally mentioned it because it felt odd to me.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:22 AM   #31

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsacrossamerica.net View Post
If you get the chance to stay at Jim & Mary’s RV Park en route at Missoula, DO IT!!!
Yup. unfortunately this trip is straight over and back,( truckstop parking lots or rest areas) DW still has to work for another 3 weeks before calling it quits and retiring....
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote