Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2016, 09:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 33SW
State: Florida
THOR #4193
Heading to the Southwest

We are fairly new to full timing, just over a year. We spent our first winter on the road in the Carolina’s, Georgia and Florida. This winter we want to go to the southwest.

We are currently in NE PA and after stops near Chambersburg, PA, Spartanburg, SC and N Alabama we’re planning to head to the southwest in mid to late November. What would be the best route and what kind of weather should we expect.

Also, this is our first trip west and any suggestions about places to go or things to see are appreciated. We are not limited for time and plan to be back in PA in late spring. We want to visit as many National and State Parks as we can while we’re in the west.

Bill/Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:42 AM   #2

State: California
THOR #3545
Sedona

I would recommend Sedona. I have been there 3x's and each time its just a wonderful experience. On the outskirts of the city is an RV park called Lo Lo Mai. Trees everywhere, a river runs up to the banks and close enough to the city if you have a vehicle. Sat reception might be off and on due to the trees. There is another rv park right in the middle of the city which is nice as well.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:32 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Some Arizona State Parks to check out - but keep in mind in November they may be pretty busy with winter visitors:

• Lake Havasu State Park (near Lake Havasu City), right on the lake
• Cattail Cove State Park (between Lake Havasu City & Parker AZ), right on the Colorado River
• Buckskin Mountain State Park (just north of Parker), right on the Colorado River
• Catalina State Park (near Tucson)
• Picacho State Parl (near Tucson)
• Fool Hollow State Park (near Show Low)
• Roper Lake State Park (near Safford), right on the lake

Here is the website for the state park system:
Arizona State Parks

These all have electric & water (usually no sewer but always a dump station), and very lovely settings!

Eileen in AZ
Old 09-30-2016, 11:47 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Some of the higher elevation parks are shut down for camping in the winter or have water shut off. We experienced that in February several years ago.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
X2 for Sedona. Go to it off rt 40 through Oak Creek Canyon. Be mindful of weather in the panhandle of Texas and Flagstaff Az. It can be nasty at times with no warning. Don't forget to hit all the National parks in Utah its a beautiful state with lots to see. I've been everywhere in the southwest on a motorcycle when I lived in Las Vegas. If you need any info I can try to help. Enjoy and take your time, there is so much to see.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:00 AM   #6

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
Quartzsite Show end of January

Recommend Quartzsite show if in the area (end of January each year). We go each year to see the toys (assessories) for the RV. It is just over the California/Arizona Border on I10 in Arizona. All the BLM land is free camping (dry camping). Best deals are on the next to last day late. Some venders are getting ready to leave the last day in the morning. We stay at the Black Rock RV park. Zion and Grand Canyon NPs are must see in that area even in winter as long as no snow storms forcasted. Vegas at night is something to see too.

For Dental, Pharmacy and Optical needs I recommend Los Algondonas, Mexico (very safe) access from Winterhaven California (Yuma Az). Large parking lot just before border and you walk across and back. We haven't done dental but prescriptions and eyeglasses we have done a few times. We have eaten there each visit too - no problems. Have to bring passport now to get back into US or the border guards whine alot with just a driver's license.

https://youtu.be/-WJdxe8V_Rk
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:57 AM   #7

THOR #4193
Thanks for your replies. Sedona looks like a place to visit with places to see in the area.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:10 AM   #8
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Depending on your route and the weather..if you come through New Mexico...you have many options...Albuquerque ... Santa Fe to the north and Taos...
moving on west if you are on I40, going into AZ you have the painted desert and petrified forest...then, of course Grand Canyon, etc...and to the north all of the wonders of Utah.
Weather will play a big role in where you go.
And....other than Sedona, the Phoenix and Tucson areas have many RV Resorts.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:40 AM   #9

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #3186
Just a reminder but the southwest can be very very windy at times. Something AZ. utilizes are wind socks in areas known to hazardous. Quartzite can get extreme winds too. It's usually windy there in January.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:40 AM   #10

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
Just a reminder but the southwest can be very very windy at times. Something AZ. utilizes are wind socks in areas known to hazardous. Quartzite can get extreme winds too. It's usually windy there in January.
Been there for last four years no wind problem and thousands of RV's go there every year. Average wind speed in Jaunuary is 5 mph. Now this year it will probable be 45 mph since I posted this
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:10 AM   #11

THOR #3186
Been there about 5 times in 7 years have run into sand storms and extreme winds twice. Once we left early and the main tent was damaged along with a lot of vendors canopies. Phoenix is known for their sandstorms, so are we. The wind can always be a problem in the desert.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:51 AM   #12

THOR #4193
Wind. I'm not a fan of wind - or blowing sand. We were on the Outer Banks of NC last year for a month and it was windy every day. We've been going to the OBX for 35 years (Our first time in an RV) and never saw it so windy. Our topper flapped so hard it sounded like gunshots. And of course all that wind meant blowing sand - lots of it.

Is that what we can expect in the southwest?
Old 10-20-2016, 02:42 AM   #13

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
We've been in Arizona for a month already & tomorrow is the 1st windy day forecast, 12-14 mph with gust to 20 mph. We're from the Texas panhandle & 20 is just a nice breeze. We spent last winter here also & I can't recall but maybe a couple days of bad wind when blowing a storm by, no way near the winds we encountered in SC on the coast.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:10 AM   #14

THOR #3186
We get windstorms with many georgous beautiful days in between. We are in a drought, add wind and drought it can get nasty, so pull into a campground and spend the day and or night till it's over.

There are areas that see increased winds due to the tunnelling or funnel effects. There are areas such as Phoenix where the very dry winds of the Rockies swoop down. The good news these winds are predictable and the appropriate warnings are issued. I am in a red flag warning area right now but there is no wind here. I just avoid those areas at those times when high winds are forecast. If I get into them I slow down.

So be aware and be prepared. You will have days to make choices and decisions. When going through Mt. passes, into and out of canyons slow down. I've seen 60 mph gusts of headwinds and sidewinds, I slowed down. I created distance. Be prepared you won't have an issue.

But we rarely have tornadoes and never hurricanes, earthquakes yes but so does the Midwest.

I'm going to Quartzite for the RV show. I'm going to San Diego next week - Red Flag Warnings. We travel throughout the west each year but I do prepare for weather.

So expect 300 days of sun each year with some rain, snow and wind. Doesn't get much better than that.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:15 AM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump
But we rarely have tornadoes and never hurricanes, earthquakes yes but so does the Midwest.
Lets see, in Michigan:
  • No hurricanes here (great lakes are big, but not that big LOL).
  • Occasional tornado (1-5 or so per year depending on location)
  • Earthquakes....yup we get one about every 10-50 years
  • Blizzard...now we're talking 2-3 per season (if we're lucky )
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #16

THOR #3610
We were in central Michigan near Frankenmuth in '13 & took shelter due to tornado sirens.
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-20-2016, 03:53 PM   #17

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Always take alerts serious, we lost everything to a tornado except our lives because we got to the basement in time because of weather alerts on our phones and the city alarm system.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:11 PM   #18

THOR #3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Lets see, in Michigan:
  • No hurricanes here (great lakes are big, but not that big LOL).
  • Occasional tornado (1-5 or so per year depending on location)
  • Earthquakes....yup we get one about every 10-50 years
  • Blizzard...now we're talking 2-3 per season (if we're lucky )
Born and raised south side of Chicago. I've worked in the Arctic -76 but I remember nothing colder or windier than the Loop in November, December and January. Lived in East Lansing 10 years, T.C. 4 years. Loved the Michigan State Parks, among the nicest we have ever been to. They did it right and often.

That's why I live on a mountain top, gotta have seasons, gotta have snow and the more the better. Came home from Quartzite early a couple years ago, snow flakes greeted us and two days later I had 7' to grapple with, loved it. Sure hope we get some this winter.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:22 PM   #19

THOR #3610
We also like 4 seasons as long as; #1 NO SNOW!!!!, #2 NO SNOW!!!, #3 NEVER BELOW 32 degrees. You might notice a pattern here, NO SNOW!!!
Replacement undetermined