Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2019, 11:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Rt 70 Colorado to Moab UT

Is there any restrictions using rt128 for an RV? My navigation doesn’t like a direct route through.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:58 AM   #2

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Georgia
THOR #5927
There are no restrictions on 128. We have a second house in Castle Valley which is off of 128. I’ve driven the entire route without an issue. Heck, they drove in both sections of my modular house via 128.

Now, the road can be a little narrow at times. And, it’s twisty. Just follow the posted speed limits (especially in the corners) and you should be fine. It looks like you have a Sprinter based RV, so it shouldn’t be a problem. I regularly see 40 footers on the road.

Of course, I’m biased, but I think it’s one of the most scenic drives anywhere.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:05 AM   #3

THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSexton View Post
There are no restrictions on 128. We have a second house in Castle Valley which is off of 128. I’ve driven the entire route without an issue. Heck, they drove in both sections of my modular house via 128.

Now, the road can be a little narrow at times. And, it’s twisty. Just follow the posted speed limits (especially in the corners) and you should be fine. It looks like you have a Sprinter based RV, so it shouldn’t be a problem. I regularly see 40 footers on the road.

Of course, I’m biased, but I think it’s one of the most scenic drives anywhere.

Thanks. Toad as well but .... the navigation keeps me around even if I list castle valley as a waypoint. Strange. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2019, 01:14 AM   #4

THOR #5927
Before we left the Moab edition Jeep out in Moab, we were towing it behind a Sprinter based RV.

As a matter of fact, I’ll be taking 128 from I70 into Castle Valley Tuesday afternoon.

If you have any other questions about the area, just let me know.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:21 AM   #5

THOR #12830
Quote:
Before we left the Moab edition Jeep out in Moab, we were towing it behind a Sprinter based RV.

As a matter of fact, I’ll be taking 128 from I70 into Castle Valley Tuesday afternoon.

If you have any other questions about the area, just let me know.
Appreciate that. Heading through in mid sept. Any not to miss spots?
Old 08-26-2019, 01:22 AM   #6

THOR #5927
Ok, I was just reminded that when we left in June, several sections of 128 were closed due to construction. They were only supposed to be closed for a few days. But, this was they same people who said they were going to shutdown a road completely so that they could work on it faster and have the project done in 9 months. They finished it 2 years later.

Apple maps don’t show any construction there now. But, I’ll have a definitive answer on Tuesday
Old 08-26-2019, 01:24 AM   #7

THOR #12830
Quote:
Ok, I was just reminded that when we left in June, several sections of 128 were closed due to construction. They were only supposed to be closed for a few days. But, this was they same people who said they were going to shutdown a road completely so that they could work on it faster and have the project done in 9 months. They finished it 2 years later.

Apple maps don’t show any construction there now. But, I’ll have a definitive answer on Tuesday
Maybe that’s the navigation issue but normally shows the detour. Funky. It would be great if you could.....
Old 08-26-2019, 01:31 AM   #8

THOR #12830
Found this.. cites work thru end of September.
https://moabtimes.com/2019/05/31/par...osed-june-3-7/
Old 08-26-2019, 01:37 AM   #9

THOR #5927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
Appreciate that. Heading through in mid sept. Any not to miss spots?

Oh boy, how much time do you have. I could go on and on.

It looks like from your profile that you have a CRV. So, limiting to things you can do without a 4x4, I would start in this order:

Arches NP
Canyonlands NP (the part nears Deadhorse SP)
Deadhorse SP
Canyonlands (the part south of town)
The loop road from Castle Valley to Moab
Fisher towers on 128
Wilson arch
Old 08-26-2019, 01:41 AM   #10

THOR #12830
Thanks. Meant along rt 128.

Those are on the list but your detail is helpful.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:34 AM   #11

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Here's something that might not be on your moab list.
About 6 miles south of town, on the east side of the highway, there's a park. Above the park is a very big man made waterfall. There's a serviceable dirt road that goes up close to the top.
There's a mountain range between the river and moab. They tunneled through it, pump water through the mountain and down that big man made waterfall. Pretty tall falls through a natural rock bedding.

Cool place, little known. Ask when you get into town.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:46 PM   #12

THOR #5927
So, now that I am in Castle Valley, I can give a definitive update. Yes, the are currently working on sr128. They have the first layer of asphalt down for almost all of the entire road (I think they were working on the last portion yesterday). There was on section where they had it down to one lane with a lead car to drive traffic through the construction. The worst length of time we have spent waiting at one of these spots was about 20 minutes (we’ve lived through 2 other construction projects on 128).

So, I’d say it very possible to drive down 128. The new paving has made the road smoother. The only real complaint I would have is this. They are expanding the lanes, which normally is a good thing. There are now several spots where the expanded lanes are uncomfortably close to the edge where the land falls away and the guardrails haven’t been installed.

Oh, and if your navigation routes you through Cisco, ignore it. The road through Cisco is shorter, but all the locals avoid it. Take exit 204 on I70 which is for sr 128.

And while driving 128 last night, I should note that the first 4 to 5 miles is completely boring. Give it a few miles before judging my comments on how scenic it is.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:50 AM   #13

THOR #5927
Inquiring minds want to know, did you take SR 128?
Old 09-29-2019, 11:56 AM   #14

THOR #12830
Quote:
Inquiring minds want to know, did you take SR 128?
Unfortunately we got as far as Denver. Spent two days at Estes Park and had to head back to Boston. My son in law got in an accident and we had to help and support the family. 8 week trip shelved till next year . Thanks for the info.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:46 PM   #15

THOR #5927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
Unfortunately we got as far as Denver. Spent two days at Estes Park and had to head back to Boston. My son in law got in an accident and we had to help and support the family. 8 week trip shelved till next year . Thanks for the info.

Sorry to hear about that. I hope he is doing ok.

Look at bright side: they will definitely be done with the construction.