Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2021, 02:26 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Help outer banks North Carolina

Hi we will be traveling from Chattanooga Tennessee and want to spent time near the open in an area called outer banks off the coast of North Carolina*in Dare County with over 100 miles of shoreline.

Any campsites folks have stayed at?
Site seeing

Old 09-17-2021, 03:01 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Hi we will be traveling from Chattanooga Tennessee and want to spent time near the open in an area called outer banks off the coast of North Carolina*in Dare County with over 100 miles of shoreline.

Site seeing
Our fav is the Refuge on Roanoke Island, but it is not near the coast, but next to one of the best restaurants. If you want on the ocean, the the Sands of Time in Avon is the best. The best restaurants on the Outer Banks are around Kill Devil Hill and Kitty Hawk. Awful Arthur's Oyster Bar at mile post 16 (NC-12). Numerous dry campgrounds run by the Park Service, but I need A/C.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:38 AM   #3

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
Just made the trip from Pigeon Forge Tennessee to Rodanthe/ Outer Banks North Carolina. We stayed at Camp Hatteras on the bayside. Have stayed here a number of times, very nice campground. The KOA right next door looks nice also.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:04 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Just keep an eye on the weather out there...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:11 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by suenmike View Post
Just made the trip from Pigeon Forge Tennessee to Rodanthe/ Outer Banks North Carolina. We stayed at Camp Hatteras on the bayside. Have stayed here a number of times, very nice campground. The KOA right next door looks nice also.
X2. We stay at Camp Hatteras, ocean side, quite often. We also stayed the KOA as well and like Camp Hatteras better.

IMHO, The food in kitty hawk, kill devil hills etc is tourist food. There are a couple good places but you’ll have to wait quite awhile for a seat. The good food is at Oceania Bistro in Avon or at the numerous seafood restaurants along route 12 South of Rodanthe

Never stayed at them but there are a couple National seashore campgrounds along the coast starting around Oregon Inlet.

Beware of the weather before crossing the inlet bridge. From experience on the lower bridge I will no longer cross is wind speeds are over 13 MPH. The new bridge is much higher and the winds at the top a lot stronger.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:24 PM   #6

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Another mark for Camp Hatteras. We stayed there 2 years ago and enjoyed it. Nice place but the wind is always going so keep that in mind.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:15 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Wife booked Carolina Beach state park

Thx
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:37 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 34.2
THOR #3584
Great, enjoy!
Old 09-17-2021, 08:16 PM   #9

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
X2. We stay at Camp Hatteras, ocean side, quite often. We also stayed the KOA as well and like Camp Hatteras better.

IMHO, The food in kitty hawk, kill devil hills etc is tourist food. There are a couple good places but you’ll have to wait quite awhile for a seat. The good food is at Oceania Bistro in Avon or at the numerous seafood restaurants along route 12 South of Rodanthe

Never stayed at them but there are a couple National seashore campgrounds along the coast starting around Oregon Inlet.

Beware of the weather before crossing the inlet bridge. From experience on the lower bridge I will no longer cross is wind speeds are over 13 MPH. The new bridge is much higher and the winds at the top a lot stronger.
We crossed the bridge in May in our 4dr Jeep with winds blowing 30 to 40. It was interesting. I told my wife be glad we weren't in motorhome.

We stayed at OBX Campground in Kill Devil Hills and really enjoyed it.

We plan on going back in January or February to visit my daughter and just chill.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:12 PM   #10

THOR #6411
Quote:

Thx
Hate to tell you, but you booked a place in Hew Hanover County and not in Dare County. It is a ways south of the CHNS. You might run over to Wilmington and visit the BB-55 (The North Carolina) and travel down to the NC aquarium Fort Fisher. Carolina Beach is the party beach of NC much as Myrtle Beach is to SC. The old folks beach is Wrightville.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:03 PM   #11

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Quote:

Thx
Go get donuts!
Old 10-02-2021, 06:33 PM   #12

State: Massachusetts
THOR #2883
Camp Hatteras

Quote:

Site seeing
Camp Hatteras is amazing!
Old 10-02-2021, 07:30 PM   #13

State: Michigan
THOR #17177
Red face RV driver's beware the ferry boat

Just a word of caution to RV driver's who decide to venture over to Ocracoke Island. The Swan Quarter Ferry boat is fun, adventurous and worth the trip. However, don't do what we did. As instructed by the ferry boat crewman I pulled up and onto the ferry quarterdeck where cars and trucks are ferried across the Pamlico Sound. He parked me very close to the raised portion of the boat (Fo'c'sle) with just inches to spare. Unbeknownst to me the exhaust of the boat's engine compartment was equal height to blow into my open driver's window. It was very hot that day and the carbon monoxide blasting into our motorhome was at first undetected and almost did us in. We became very sleepy, headachy...and layed down. Something woke me up and and I realized we were in trouble. In hindsight, we should've exited the RV and closed the windows. Lesson Learned, and we're alive to tell the story. Be safe out there and God Bless.
Old 10-03-2021, 04:51 AM   #14

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #3323
Smile Hatteras KOA is fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suenmike View Post
We stay at the Hatteras KOA at least once every year! Camp Hatteras is good too!

With either, you are so near the beach you hear the waves pounding ashore!
Old 10-03-2021, 11:37 AM   #15

THOR #13886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The best restaurants on the Outer Banks are around Kill Devil Hill and Kitty Hawk. Awful Arthur's Oyster Bar at mile post 16 (NC-12).

I live in Kitty Hawk so let me "correct" some here. Awful Arthur's is at Mile Post (MP) 6, not 16. The Outer Banks encompass all of Dare County and Ocracoke, which is in Hyde County. There are some people that try to "expand" that definition to beaches South of Ocracoke, but that is not correct.

Food, well, this area is a resort area and has tons of restaurants. So to say the best restaurants are in only 2 of the towns is not correct. There are some nice, higher end restaurants in Nags Head and other areas.
Old 10-03-2021, 02:36 PM   #16

THOR #17765
Quote:

Thx
Have fun. But that’s not the outer banks!
Old 10-03-2021, 11:18 PM   #17

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasspilot View Post
I live in Kitty Hawk so let me "correct" some here. Awful Arthur's is at Mile Post (MP) 6, not 16. The Outer Banks encompass all of Dare County and Ocracoke, which is in Hyde County. There are some people that try to "expand" that definition to beaches South of Ocracoke, but that is not correct.

Food, well, this area is a resort area and has tons of restaurants. So to say the best restaurants are in only 2 of the towns is not correct. There are some nice, higher end restaurants in Nags Head and other areas.
I guess my memory is going. All I remember is to head up NC-12 to the Avalon Pier and it is across the street. I thought the mile post was 16 but you are correct in that would be out of town. It been a while since I worked at the Dare County Bombing Range.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:25 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
They say that the memory is the second thing to go...
... and I've forgotten what the first one was!
Old 10-04-2021, 01:00 AM   #19

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
They say that the memory is the second thing to go...
... and I've forgotten what the first one was!
... You were going to send me a $1,000 for all my help. No need to thank me for the reminder
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 01:29 AM   #20

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Hate to tell you, but you booked a place in Hew Hanover County and not in Dare County. It is a ways south of the CHNS. You might run over to Wilmington and visit the BB-55 (The North Carolina) and travel down to the NC aquarium Fort Fisher. Carolina Beach is the party beach of NC much as Myrtle Beach is to SC. The old folks beach is Wrightville.
FYI - Carolina Beach ain’t nothing like MB.