Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2016, 01:28 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #5288
Highway Lanes

"Trucks and busses... Left Lane only" and similar signage... Applies to us in motorhomes as well or no?

Old 09-12-2016, 12:19 AM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Maybe, you'll need to check the state statute on it.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:25 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Doesn't it depend on how they are licensed? I guess I need to check on NO TRUCKS roads also
Old 09-12-2016, 12:48 AM   #4

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
I stay in the truck lane during construction as I find the lanes sometimes are wide, farther away from the workers, and farther away from the soft shoulders.

I use the passing and HOV lane when their is a lot of traffic.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:44 AM   #5

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Generally speaking when you see signs on the interstate highway system restricting "trucks" in some fashion they are referring to commercial vehicles. Since most of our RV's are licensed as recreational vehicles it would probably not apply. It does get confusing because those signs would apply to commercial truck-tractor-trailer combinations and large commercial passenger transport buses, but not that 45' DP blasting down the left lane.

Some states could restrict speed limits by GVW or licensed weight though.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:31 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Joe-Fl is correct, the signs for "No trucks or buses in left lane" ONLY applies to commercial vehicles. Passenger buses are commercial vehicles because they are "for hire" vehicles. MH's are registered as private vehicles and the restrictions don't apply. If you have a 45' diesel pusher you can drive in the left lane all you want! I have not researched every state, but most of them, and again, MH's are considered a private vehicle. If someone knows of a state that is different, please share.

As a rule, since I try to limit my speed to a max of 65 mph, I do not drive in the left lanes unless I am passing another vehicle. As most MH owners I have seen, I try to be a safe and courteous driver.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:16 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If a motor home is registered and/or licensed in the name of an LLC it could be considered a commercial vehicle and then commercial vehicle laws may apply.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:18 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I would imagine you are correct about LLC, could be a gray area with respect to being used for profit or hire. I would not like to be a test case! Will stay to the right and out of trouble if possible!!!
Old 09-15-2016, 01:20 AM   #9

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I think it normally relate to 3 or more axles. But once my Garmin 760 RV told me to take the truck bypass. I still have a roof because of that.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:21 AM   #10

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Also would depend on whether you're towing. In CA vehicles towing are limited to 55 mph while those not towing can go full posted speed.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:21 AM   #11

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
I think it normally relate to 3 or more axles. But once my Garmin 760 RV told me to take the truck bypass. I still have a roof because of that.
There is much confusion about class 2 truck routes, interstates, secondary roads, etc. Since I am a retired Trooper it sort of all makes perfect sense to me.

As stated earlier much of the restrictions, such as left lane restrictions, "all trucks must weigh", etc., etc....., do not apply to recreation vehicles. Some restrictions could apply, for example a road weight limit sign that restricts the weight of any vehicle on a certain road or bridge for example to 8 tons. So if you have that big DP and 30' trailer loaded with your F150 and Harley then you had better know your weight.

From the time I purchased my first 5th wheel I visited the scales. I weighed about twice a year and kept track of what my trailer weighed and my total weight along with other weights. I also measured the height of my rig myself and knew my exact width. Unless trying to make my way to a campground I always stayed on interstates or designated truck routes. I know where these routes were because I had a current Trucker's Atlas.

Remember, just because most of the commercial restrictions do not apply to our RV's, due to some of our sizes and weights we still have to be responsible and know what roads we can safely travel on.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:21 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Well stated, Over the years I have witnessed many RV'rs grossly over weight for their equipment,inadequate rear vision (improper mirrors or no mirrors at all) and a host of other less than advisable habits.

Thanks for the post.
Retired truck driver, 47 years, 5 million miler
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #2858
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeliec View Post
Also would depend on whether you're towing. In CA vehicles towing are limited to 55 mph while those not towing can go full posted speed.
Correct, a MH can travel in the HOV lane unless it's towing. I'd have to check but there may also be a restriction if the MH has a tag.