Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2018, 03:39 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
How'd we get into a discussion of Sales Taxes?
Talking about RVs is a whole lot more fun!

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:41 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Druff is exactly right!! I live in GA and own our retirement home in PCB. We've owned one home or another down there for over 25 years. If any state got this right...Florida did!! There are lots of people working for cash...many transients in Florida working the fruit fields, etc. Doesn't matter to Florida...if they purchase anything...they pay!! It's a huge recreational state for tourist. Tourist pay for the "no state income tax" privilege for the residences. I get it, and appreciate all the tourism. Most everybody in Florida moved there from somewhere else. Notice how gorgeous the state is landscaped...notice when you cross the state line how freshly paved and smooth the highways are?? YEAH TOURISM...BRING IT ON!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:50 PM   #23

THOR #2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druff View Post
Florida has no state income tax, that means those of us that come down there in the winter are the ones supporting the states economy through the high sales tax. If it wasn't for all the outside money pouring into the state you would have much higher taxes.
I was stating a fact as to why our RV parks are booked solid throughout the year. Our sales tax isn't any higher than anywhere else in the country and we pay the same sales tax all year long. There is no question the impact that tourism has on Florida although tourism and temporary residency may be viewed as 2 different things. We have met terrific people from many different States on our camping excursions that we would not have met otherwise. My statement wasn't intended to offend or show any disrespect. I'm sure your next set of reservations for next winter will be just as challenging.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:05 PM   #24

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
We've bought into a rv resort in Arizona, which we really like, & they remodeled all their rv sites last summer angling them making all of them longer.
So this past winter they were completely full all winter & most of those folks paid the annual fee so therefore the park is already completely booked for this upcoming winter.
The office is not taking any reservations after Oct 1st 2018. Now if you want a spot today you'll have your pick of about a 100 sites.
It's like the movie "Field of Dreams", if you build it they will come.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:15 PM   #25

Model: Four Winds 28z
THOR #5725
They are trying that in FL- with mixed results. The sites are going for 150-200k down near Ft. Myers and in Tarpon Springs- the one in Tarpon hasn't gotten off the ground yet and is in some trouble...

Remember that upscale Guy Harvey RV resort near Tarpon Springs. Forget the Guy Harvey part

that is a lot of money for a full time spot. We stayed at one in the middle of the state that isn't quite so bad- about 80k for a lot.
River Ranch - RV Resort
Old 05-24-2018, 04:24 PM   #26

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Making reservations has been a way of RV life for years on the West Coast. I have noticed in the past year or so, most parks book up earlier than they used to. I have never been interested in buying a spot, IMO not a good value, and most times very difficult to sell when you need or want to.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:27 PM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
We’ve stayed at a State Park in Colorado that wouldn’t take reservations, even on day of arrival. We called about an hour or two before getting there and they wouldn’t hold a site for us even if we payed in full. During most-recent visit it was strictly on a first come basis.

The lady later told us that too many sites were being left unoccupied, and that simply collecting the cost didn’t address the entire issue. She said you’d be surprised how many people would pay ~ $30 and not show up, while others were eager to use that site.

The downside is that it’s hard to plan a trip without some reservations.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:39 PM   #28

THOR #11130
The boating/harboring industry (big yachts) in South Florida went this direction a few years ago. In lots of desirable places you cannot rent a transient slip or rent month to month. Slips are sold just like homes and real property...titled and owned. Some you can sublet...some you can't. RV parks in Florida will follow this pattern. I'll just travel around and away from the hot spots and vacation dream lands during the times of furry.

gator...State Income Tax is what pays for the parks. You mentioned "us tax payers"...you are not a tax payer...neither am I...the tourist pay it for you. We pay sales tax just as everyone else does in Florida...resident or not. That makes everyone equal.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:40 PM   #29

THOR #5725
Chance,
I agree completely- I posted something about this a couple of weeks ago. I would say it is at 20% at least- it is too cheap to get at 25 bucks a night, and they don't cancel. My solutions were:
1- if you don't show the first night it gets opened up for the rest of the reservations- no refunds.
2- Penalization charge equal to the of the cost of your fees if you don't cancel.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:48 PM   #30

THOR #5725
it gets even better Gritz

There is no personal income tax in Florida. Florida Sales Tax: Florida sales tax rate is 6%. Florida State Tax: Florida does not have a state income tax

For example, Florida, South Dakota, and Washington each raised about 60 percent of their collections through sales taxes in 2011; nearly double the national average.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:53 PM   #31

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
The business according to a friend and RV salesman has been improving over the last 5 years....proving that more people are retiring and have the money for an RV. Add to that, the increasing numbers that sell their houses to buy the big boxes. Problems on the horizon.....builiding more RVs at a faster rate to meet demand tend to be problematic for the quality side. Also, with gas prices going up like crazy and half a dollar more than last year at this time will slow some buyers along with the increasing interest rates show us that the economy is not going be a friend to Rving and won't help sales....or unfortunately those of us who own, fuel up, and/or owe on a coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
Is it my imagination or is the hot selling RV industry taking its toll on campground capacity, especially on the weekends? My wife and I tried to book a weekend at or near Knoebels Amusement park with our grandson in PA and all the campgrounds are booked solid over the weekends all summer. Same with the state parks. Getting a site during the week not a problem but probably will become one once the kids are out of school. Making reservations a year in advance is not something I like doing as you never know what changes will occur within that time frame.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:54 PM   #32

THOR #11130
Posted the wrong thing....SALES TAX pays for the parks!! Sorry...fingers got stuck to the keyboard with buggers.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:55 PM   #33

THOR #5725
then cheers!!!!! Welcome neighbor! Let me know when you have the hookups ready for me to stop by!