Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2020, 03:21 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #20695
North GA in late Dec Camp spots???

Looking for a great State Park or Campground to take my Class C and family after Xmas. Want to be able to day trip around for a few days and visit scenic/ historic places. Any advice greatly appreciated. Currently have a reservation at James "Sloppy" Floyd State park because it the only spot found availability so far. Never been in that area...

Old 12-05-2020, 03:44 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Don't know any campgrounds, but north Georgia is beautiful.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:51 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Alabama
THOR #18612
Quote:
Originally Posted by paw786 View Post
Looking for a great State Park or Campground to take my Class C and family after Xmas. Want to be able to day trip around for a few days and visit scenic/ historic places. Any advice greatly appreciated. Currently have a reservation at James "Sloppy" Floyd State park because it the only spot found availability so far. Never been in that area...

Vogel state park is open I think. There are trailheads to some great hikes right in the park. You can also get to Cleveland, Hiawasee, and Helen pretty easily from there.

Just FYI, it is fairly primitive with no cell service.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:12 PM   #4

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds is a great facility in Hiawassee GA.

https://georgiamountainfairgrounds.c...er/campgrounds
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 01:54 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
North Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds in Hiawassee is open year round and with full hookups - centrally located to many places, like Helen, Clayton, Franklin NC, Murphy NC, etc.
The highest state park in Georgia, located in Clayton, Black Rock Mountain state park, has excellent views, and viewing platforms... though you'd have to check whether it's open in that timeframe - elec and water.

Back to Hiawassee, though, there are PLENTY of rv parks in the area.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 02:14 PM   #6

THOR #20695
Thank you folks so much for the advice. I'll look into your recommendations. If you ever need any FL advice particularly on the east coast, shoot me a note, Im a true floridian........ Pat
Old 12-05-2020, 04:11 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Unicoi SP is where we stay in the north GA mountains. If you want to hike in the mountains and still tour Helen this is the place.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:20 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
As a former Hiawassee resident, the suggestions offered are good choices.

A few cautions. Many private rv parks in the area close on November 1st. Double check on state run parks such as Georgia Mountain Fair Grounds and others. The weather there can change quickly from rain and mist to ice, black ice, and snow depending on elevation. Unicoi and Vogel are up in mountains.
Depending upon your route to get to the parks, you'll have some pucker factor mountains to cross. Any kind of bad weather and the highway patrol is pretty good at telling you what the actual conditions are at the moment.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:34 PM   #9

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
As a former Hiawassee resident, the suggestions offered are good choices.

A few cautions. Many private rv parks in the area close on November 1st. Double check on state run parks such as Georgia Mountain Fair Grounds and others. The weather there can change quickly from rain and mist to ice, black ice, and snow depending on elevation. Unicoi and Vogel are up in mountains.
Depending upon your route to get to the parks, you'll have some pucker factor mountains to cross. Any kind of bad weather and the highway patrol is pretty good at telling you what the actual conditions are at the moment.
I lived in Hayesville, NC, Hiawassee and Blairsville GA for many years. Definitely pay attention to roads coming from the south if you've never been in the area. Hwy 129 (Blood Mountain) can be interesting for newbies.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:00 PM   #10

State: Colorado
THOR #13538
Margaritaville at Lake Lanier is great!!
Old 12-12-2020, 09:38 PM   #11

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
North GA in late Dec Camp spots???

We like Skidaway Island State Park near Savannah. They give a Vet discount and have a trolly into Savannah.

Sorry, missed the No Ga part. My bad.
Old 12-12-2020, 09:46 PM   #12

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #2902
Our Favorite note of Atlanta but outside GA

We love Devils Fork State Park at Lake Jocassee in South Carolina. 2 1/2 hrs from Atlanta. lots of great waterfalls hikes nearby and there is Stumphouse Tunnel and Oconee Station Historic Sites.
Good luck!
During peak months, you'll need to book a reservation 13 months in advance.
Old 12-12-2020, 09:54 PM   #13

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Quote:
Old Federal is a Corp of engineers campground on Lake Lanier. Beautiful sites, water views. No sewer, but if you have a rolling tank it’s a great campground. 30 minutes to Atlanta. But if you aren’t Mario Andretti and used to driving 95 mph the interstate into Atlanta can be very testy.
Old 12-12-2020, 09:56 PM   #14

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleGGG View Post
I lived in Hayesville, NC, Hiawassee and Blairsville GA for many years. Definitely pay attention to roads coming from the south if you've never been in the area. Hwy 129 (Blood Mountain) can be interesting for newbies.
Blood mountain is one of 2 most challenging hike/climbs on the AT. We were on all 4’s in the rain. Never driven it.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:49 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #20549
Track Rock Campground & Stables in Blairsville GA is a lovely family owned and operated campground, with horseback riding & hiking on site.
https://trackrock.com/

Hartwell lakeside RV Park in Hartwell GA used to be a state park, but is now privately run. Many beautiful waterfront sites were available when all the other state parks were full a month or so ago (peak fall).
https://hartwelllakesidervpark.com/
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200926_162119.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	27598Click image for larger version

Name:	20201107_152017_HDR.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	27604
Old 12-13-2020, 01:35 AM   #16

Model: Windsport 34F
THOR #7286
Corps of Engineer Park around Acworth, GA a little North of Atlanta. Nice campground, but no full hookups. Neat little town, as well with a couple good restaurants. 15 minutes to Atlanta.
ArtieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 01:43 AM   #17

Model: Windsport 34F
THOR #7286
We are now in Bunnell, FL for the last year and a half, but all our trips down via I-75 we made sure we stopped at Corps of Engineer Park right off I-75. No full hookups, but (as I recall) bathhouse were clean, lots of space between sites, most overlooking the water. There are several in that area.
ArtieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 03:30 PM   #18

THOR #20833
Quote:
We have stayed at Vererans State Park three times because it is really nice. Pine Mountain is a charming town and The Southern White House at Hot Springs is definitely worth seeing. I think there is a Warm Springs State park, but we did not stay there.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:03 PM   #19

Model: Challenger 35MQ
THOR #21743
Quote:
Thank you folks so much for the advice. I'll look into your recommendations. If you ever need any FL advice particularly on the east coast, shoot me a note, Im a true floridian........ Pat
What suggestions do you have in Florida's east coast? Central or northern would be most appreciated.