Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2016, 09:25 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Inexpensive or free camping spots

As discussed in the making RVing more economical, I was interested in starting a thread where we could post inexpensive (around $10 a night or so) or even free camping spots that we have stayed in. This thread is for Camping spots not Walmarts or Cracker Barrel's or rest stops. Those are fine and are being covered in another thread. For this thread, I hope you will post a link to a web site (if possible) where you can get additional information or a map so that you can find the site and a picture, if you actually stayed there. I will start off wit a few that we really enjoyed last summer in New Mexico and Colorado.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:39 AM   #2

THOR #1765
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...pots-5867.html

Use above to view four inexpensive campsites that we used last summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4129.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	3560  
Old 12-17-2016, 09:42 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #6110
Great thread idea.

I've spent many a night at truck stops but would have gladly paid $10-15 for the ability to spread my slides and not listen to 500hp trucks driving by all night
Troutkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:20 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
As discussed in the making RVing more economical, I was interested in starting a thread where we could post inexpensive (around $10 a night or so) or even free camping spots that we have stayed in. This thread is for Camping spots not Walmarts or Cracker Barrel's or rest stops. Those are fine and are being covered in another thread. For this thread, I hope you will post a link to a web site (if possible) where you can get additional information or a map so that you can find the site and a picture, if you actually stayed there. I will start off wit a few that we really enjoyed last summer in New Mexico and Colorado.
Thanks for taking your time to spell out some of your campsites. One question, since you have the AXIS, do you also tow a "toad" or do you just use the AXIS for local traveling?

We are planning some extended visits to COLORADO this spring (once the snow leaves) and haven't used our VEGAS enough yet to determine if a toad is needed (or wanted)
Old 12-18-2016, 02:44 AM   #5

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Thanks for taking your time to spell out some of your campsites. One question, since you have the AXIS, do you also tow a "toad" or do you just use the AXIS for local traveling?

We are planning some extended visits to COLORADO this spring (once the snow leaves) and haven't used our VEGAS enough yet to determine if a toad is needed (or wanted)
We have had four RVs over the last 10 years (Vegas and Axis being the largest) and traveled over 100,000 miles - twice to Alaska and multiple times to Canada and out west. We have never towed. For me, to tow or not to tow depends on how you are going to use your RV. We use it to travel and generally do not stay put in one place for more than 3-4 days. We like to dry camp in National Parks and Forests and we generally stay away from cities. We also live in the Florida Keys so if is a long journey to just get out of the State of Florida nevermind to Colorado or Canada. For us a tow is a hassle, expensive and limits the places we can camp. In 10 years we have rented a car during our RV trips approximately a half dozen times - usually because we wanted to visit a city and could not find a place to camp close enough to walk to the city transportation system. In Denver, we found a nice park within walking distance of a tram line into the city. In New Orleans, there is an RV park within walking distance of Bourbon Street. In Las Vegas there is an RV park on the bus line into the strip.
If you use your RV to travel to a spot and stay there for weeks at a time, then I can see the usefulness of a toad. With the Axis, it is one plug (if we have electric) and we are ready to go. For me, the inconvenience of not having a small vehicle to get around in from the campground is more than compensated for by not having to tow. I have always been a strong advocate of the "KISS" principle. The more complicated and difficult you make it, the less fun it is. 100,000 miles of not towing has saved us a ton of money and aggravation. And there have been very few times that we did not do something because we could not park the RV. In those few instances - if you plan ahead, you can get a rental car.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:31 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post

We recently purchased a new Vegas for the specific purpose of touring and traveling. We traded in our 37' Pace Arrow because we wanted a smaller unit that we could use without a toad, taking it places that our earlier coach couldn't go. In just the two weeks we've had it, we've taken it just about everywhere we wanted to go with it. We travel by day and usually stay in a different place every night, so we set up and take down daily anyway.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:12 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike
You can also rent a car. Use someone like Enterprise and they will take the car to you.

For our first season with the Axis we rented. I'd drive to the local Hertz office, rent the car and the wife would follow in the car to the campground. When leaving we'd reverse the process. It is an alternative to taking the RV everywhere or pulling a toad.

If you are really curious about it check out 48 in 366 | 48 States, 42 National Parks and All the Backroads In Between or https://www.facebook.com/48in366/ She has spent the entire year touring the US with only herself, an Axis/Vegas, and a puppy. No toad, no rentals.

As for us: We now have a dolly and take either one of our cars with us (Escape or C-Max). Many of our trips involve sightseeing in metropolitan areas that aren't suited for the RV (even one as small as our Axis).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:11 PM   #8

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
We have had four RVs over the last 10 years (Vegas and Axis being the largest) and traveled over 100,000 miles - twice to Alaska and multiple times to Canada and out west. We have never towed. For me, to tow or not to tow depends on how you are going to use your RV. We use it to travel and generally do not stay put in one place for more than 3-4 days. We like to dry camp in National Parks and Forests and we generally stay away from cities. We also live in the Florida Keys so if is a long journey to just get out of the State of Florida nevermind to Colorado or Canada. For us a tow is a hassle, expensive and limits the places we can camp. In 10 years we have rented a car during our RV trips approximately a half dozen times - usually because we wanted to visit a city and could not find a place to camp close enough to walk to the city transportation system. In Denver, we found a nice park within walking distance of a tram line into the city. In New Orleans, there is an RV park within walking distance of Bourbon Street. In Las Vegas there is an RV park on the bus line into the strip.
If you use your RV to travel to a spot and stay there for weeks at a time, then I can see the usefulness of a toad. With the Axis, it is one plug (if we have electric) and we are ready to go. For me, the inconvenience of not having a small vehicle to get around in from the campground is more than compensated for by not having to tow. I have always been a strong advocate of the "KISS" principle. The more complicated and difficult you make it, the less fun it is. 100,000 miles of not towing has saved us a ton of money and aggravation. And there have been very few times that we did not do something because we could not park the RV. In those few instances - if you plan ahead, you can get a rental car.
Some very good points to consider in deciding the tow or no tow issue. I've had the Axis 2 1/2 years now with no toad. We've rented from Enterprise several times but stay at the same CG a few days usually.

I've contemplated the issue numerous times but always decide not to go the added expense of towing, along with the extra hassle and risk. I may do so in the future but am presently happy with it as is.

But, to each their own. Or there's more than one way to float the boat.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:24 PM   #9

THOR #1765
Absolutely. There is no right or wrong way on this one. There are good reasons either way.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:07 AM   #10

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
I used to tow, first flat and later with a dolly. I still plan to use the dolly once in a while to tow my car.
But most of the times I use my motor scooter now. I carry one of these smaller scooters on the back of the motorhome on a motorcycle carrier. The thing weights about 300 lbs and I hardly can feel it there, The carrier I have allows for rather easy loading or unloading, and the added mobility is really great!
Old 12-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #11

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
I used to tow, first flat and later with a dolly. I still plan to use the dolly once in a while to tow my car.
But most of the times I use my motor scooter now. I carry one of these smaller scooters on the back of the motorhome on a motorcycle carrier. The thing weights about 300 lbs and I hardly can feel it there, The carrier I have allows for rather easy loading or unloading, and the added mobility is really great!
I suppose it depends on how you use your coach. We are finding ourselves making/planning short week long trips in the fall and winter, and then extended 2 to 4 months summer travels. The summer travel involves at least 2 months of stationary camping up north visiting kids/grandkids.

For shorter trips we simply tow the Harley Trike on an aluminum trailer. For the 1350 mile summer trip north we still tow the Trike but then the DW follows in the SUV. Not an ideal way to travel so far each year.

We are still trying to decide on options. Do we spend $6,000 to $8,000 for an extended tow dolly so we can pull the Harley and a car? Problem with this is our current new SUV weighs almost 4,000 pounds, Trike weighs about 1,200 pounds, plus just under 1,000 pounds for the large extended dolly and we are way past our 5,000 pound tow limit. So going this extended tow dolly route would involve getting a smaller car that weighs under 3,000 pounds.

Or do we save all that money and rent a car for 2 to 4 months each summer while up north? That would involve spending at least $1,000 to $3,000 on rental expenses each year.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:44 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL
We are still trying to decide on options. Do we spend $6,000 to $8,000 for an extended tow dolly so we can pull the Harley and a car? Problem with this is our current new SUV weighs almost 4,000 pounds, Trike weighs about 1,200 pounds, plus just under 1,000 pounds for the large extended dolly and we are way past our 5,000 pound tow limit. So going this extended tow dolly route would involve getting a smaller car that weighs under 3,000 pounds.

Or do we save all that money and rent a car for 2 to 4 months each summer while up north? That would involve spending at least $1,000 to $3,000 on rental expenses each year
Have you thought about pulling a small pickup and putting the Harley in the bed? (Of course this is assuming the Harley will fit in the pickup bed--ooh its a Trike...probably not)

You can flat-tow a GMC Canyon 4x4 (4139lbs: 2017 Canyon Small Truck: Features & Specs | GMC)

Granted that is more $$ picking up a new truck.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 03:33 PM   #13

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Have you thought about pulling a small pickup and putting the Harley in the bed? (Of course this is assuming the Harley will fit in the pickup bed--ooh its a Trike...probably not)

You can flat-tow a GMC Canyon 4x4 (4139lbs: 2017 Canyon Small Truck: Features & Specs | GMC)

Granted that is more $$ picking up a new truck.
Yep, trike won't fit in the bed of any PU, too big of butt. We will probably try the rental option for our extended summer trip. We just did a 4 day short trip in Florida with just coach pulling trike. We used trike daily for sightseeing and going to the beach. There was never a time when we would have needed a regular toad. We can even load several large bags of groceries on it when needed.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote