Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2020, 04:00 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Beautiful pics Grizz.

Old 07-12-2020, 01:00 AM   #42

State: Arizona
THOR #11568
Back at Lake Powell

Six weeks and 6,700 miles+ and we are back home at Lake Powell. The Aria did great at 8.75 MPG/8.25 with DEF. Glad to be back in the desert as the rain and humidity was brutal. Had two issues that may help others watch for. Had a DS wiper come loose in a hard rainstorm in Louisiana but was able to tighten the two set screws while getting drench. I also had the Tire Minder save a rear dually. The rubber spacer was knocked loose and the extension rubbed on the rim until a slow leak developed. I think the guy who washed the Aria in Orange Beach got a little excited and may have knocked the rubber loose. Caught it in Shreveport and it was an easy fix. Thanks to the guys at Southern Tire Mart on I-20.

I did pass another Aria on Hwy 89 south of Page, AZ on our final leg from Flagstaff on Friday. Any Aria’s traveling through that day.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:36 PM   #43

Model: ARIA 3901
State: New Jersey
THOR #5141
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
Beautiful pics Grizz.
Thanks Mike!
Old 07-17-2020, 06:40 PM   #44

THOR #5141
A few from Yellowstone. What an awesome place! But so far everyplace has been pretty awesome!

Grand Prismatic Spring by Craig Schriever, on Flickr

Buffalo In the Mist by Craig Schriever, on Flickr

Bison by Craig Schriever, on Flickr

Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone by Craig Schriever, on Flickr
Old 07-18-2020, 02:51 PM   #45

THOR #9660
Most people never see Grand Prismatic from that side.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:22 PM   #46

THOR #5141
Definitely worth the hike! It’s funny we went to the other side early, first stop in the morning. It was pretty chilly about 37 deg so the steam was so thick that it was pretty impossible to see the feature with all the thick steam. So we went back later when it warmed up a bit and tooK the hike to see the other side.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:31 PM   #47

THOR #5141
Just an update on our travels.

I was holding off telling of my misfortunes until it was resolved, so here it is...

While we were in South Dakota I was leaving the CG, it was Thursday July 2nd Big holiday weekend coming up we were at The Rafter J Bar campground. The day before the rear Air conditioner quit, not cooling not heating (heat pump). Then getting ready to leave I’m pulling in the full wall slide and at about the half way point it quits. I put it back out and try again...same result. Great! Well after almost 5 hours I finally get the thing in (had to bounce it on the jacks and whatever was binding let loose and it came in) but now I’m sure not going to put it out again so... I call Tor and explain what’s going on and they can’t get me in until October. So no help there. I call my dealer Total Value RV in Elkhart IN. They said they could look at it on July 23d. OK That only 20 days away.

So we continue on to Wyoming and Montana and head back to Indiana for my appointment.

I was figuring this is going to cost a bunch I’m almost 4 months out of warranty. Slide, AC.

To try and make a long story short Total Value repaired te slide, new motors, new rails new rollers replaced the stiffeners and added more Installed a new AC....and got THor to cover it all....no cost to me (well some time but that’s ok) so I have to give a BIG thanks to the folks at Total Value RV. They really did right by me and also to Thor covering all the work.

So back to your regularly scheduled program and we are headed back east to NY state, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. Then its down to Georgia at the end of September to see my son who is coming back from Afghanistan he has been there for almost a year so it will be nice to see him.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:05 AM   #48

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
Just an update on our travels.

I was holding off telling of my misfortunes until it was resolved, so here it is...

While we were in South Dakota I was leaving the CG, it was Thursday July 2nd Big holiday weekend coming up we were at The Rafter J Bar campground. The day before the rear Air conditioner quit, not cooling not heating (heat pump). Then getting ready to leave I’m pulling in the full wall slide and at about the half way point it quits. I put it back out and try again...same result. Great! Well after almost 5 hours I finally get the thing in (had to bounce it on the jacks and whatever was binding let loose and it came in) but now I’m sure not going to put it out again so... I call Tor and explain what’s going on and they can’t get me in until October. So no help there. I call my dealer Total Value RV in Elkhart IN. They said they could look at it on July 23d. OK That only 20 days away.

So we continue on to Wyoming and Montana and head back to Indiana for my appointment.

I was figuring this is going to cost a bunch I’m almost 4 months out of warranty. Slide, AC.

To try and make a long story short Total Value repaired te slide, new motors, new rails new rollers replaced the stiffeners and added more Installed a new AC....and got THor to cover it all....no cost to me (well some time but that’s ok) so I have to give a BIG thanks to the folks at Total Value RV. They really did right by me and also to Thor covering all the work.

So back to your regularly scheduled program and we are headed back east to NY state, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. Then its down to Georgia at the end of September to see my son who is coming back from Afghanistan he has been there for almost a year so it will be nice to see him.
WOW!!!!!! Now that is a great dealer! Not to mention Thor providing some great customer service as well.

Glad you are back on the road and enjoying the coach..... and life!
Old 08-07-2020, 12:38 AM   #49

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
It is always good to hear something positive for a change. Total Value RV is also a good place to get Thor parts once out of warranty. They have been great to me on the phone.
Be safe and continue having a wonderful journey.

Paul
Old 08-07-2020, 09:47 PM   #50

THOR #5141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
WOW!!!!!! Now that is a great dealer! Not to mention Thor providing some great customer service as well.

Glad you are back on the road and enjoying the coach..... and life!
Yes I agree they are a great dealer and Thor really did do right by me. So no complaints and I’m a happy camper!
Old 08-07-2020, 09:49 PM   #51

THOR #5141
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
It is always good to hear something positive for a change. Total Value RV is also a good place to get Thor parts once out of warranty. They have been great to me on the phone.
Be safe and continue having a wonderful journey.

Paul
Thanks Paul. Yeah you always hear the bad stuff, the complaints...and most are well deserved. But I wanted to throw a happy ending story in the mix, you don’t here them as often.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:52 PM   #52

THOR #5141
After leaving Indiana we made our way to New York State, Stayed at the 1000 island association CG on Lake Ontario and what a HUGE CG. Must be 350 sites. And I did’t count but I’m guessing that 100 of them are lakefront. Nice size too. They give you plenary of space even the waterfront sites. I would stay here again.

Next made our way into Vermont but did a drive through. Stopped in New Hampshire at the Twin Mountain/Mt Washington KOA. Very nice CG. Clean as a whistle and super friendly staff. Did the drive up to the top of Mt Washington, we hiked up Mt Washington taking the Tuckerman’s Ravine trail (a few years ago lol) and driving was much easier!!

Now we will spend the next month in Maine, Right now in Bucksport and making our way towards Acadia and finally up to Lubec. Will consume many Lobsters, clams, scallops and other assorted seafood along the way.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:59 PM   #53

THOR #5141
Spent the month in Maine and had a great time. Tried to deplete the Atlantic of its Lobsters but I failed.

After Maine we traveled back to New Jersey for a few weeks to pester the kids, and grandkids.

Then headed south to Cape May for a few days then took the Ferry and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel to Cape Hatteras then the Ferry to Ocracoke Island. Stayed at the National Park service Campground there, dry camping and it is very nice!

Left there took the Ferry back to Swansquarter NC and then down to Charleston SC, stayed at JamesIsland County park and it too is an Awesome place. Huge sites full hook ups and tons of things to do. Oh and the food is pretty good in Charleston also!

Left there and am now in Savanah at Skidaway Island State park. Another great CG with huge sites and a jungle feel to it. OK that’s al for now.

Ocracoke
[IMG]Ocracoke by Craig Schriever, on Flickr[/IMG]

Skidaway

[IMG]Skidaway Island State Park by Craig Schriever, on Flickr[/IMG]

Tight fit on the ferry.

[IMG]01A39AFF-7D88-4A8E-9F18-017B3E11A67D by Craig Schriever, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 10-07-2020, 02:17 PM   #54
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Thanks for the update... and the great pictures!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 04:01 PM   #55

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Michigan
THOR #20290
What, you didn't ship us all some live lobsta'? You're making this east coast native hungry.

Gosh, I remember hiking the Tuckerman Ravine trail in my MUCH younger days as well as may other area trails. Lots of beauty and challenge there. Dad was trying to have us all become members of the 2000 footers club.

Thank you though for basically planning our trip(s) for 2021 for us. We had hoped to get to the Outer Banks and south last spring, but Covid...

We're hoping to head to the Ozarks yet this fall, once DH is finished with apple harvest here. Then he's retiring early next year, so we are planning big things. Nice to have some good recommendations on some CGs along the way (since we'll be coming from Michigan and traveling a similar route to what you did.)

Wow, those are some fabulous photos too. I aspire to get some nice ones myself as we motor about.

Also wonderful to hear a reassuring shout out about Total Value RV. That's where we got our rig. We had a few small warranty items to fix, but had to make arrangements to have them resolved here locally since driving the 250+ mile each way trip during cherry harvest just wasn't in the cards. Thor was good about working with us and our trusted farm equipment shop (who does a whole lot of big MHs as well). With more time on our hands in the future it will be easier to use Total Value RV's services if needed. DH grew up close-by so it's also a good excuse to visit his sister.

Travel on and keep us updated. It's fun to live vicariously when we can't be on the road.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:21 PM   #56
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If I had known he was there: it would have been worth the short drive to join him!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 04:33 PM   #57

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
We've definitely got to try Skidaway Island. Looks fantastic!
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:52 PM   #58

State: Texas
THOR #13816
I’m traveling vicariously through you, Grizz. We were supposed to be traveling this fall, but our AC needs to be replaced under warranty. The unit is on back order.
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:37 PM   #59

THOR #5141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Thanks for the update... and the great pictures!
Your welcome Bob!
Old 10-07-2020, 10:41 PM   #60

THOR #9660
Hey Grizz. Glad to hear from you and know you are still out there enjoying your rig. Keep posting.
Mike