Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2020, 10:45 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ARIA 3901
State: New Jersey
THOR #5141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Thanks for the update... and the great pictures!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwife View Post
What, you didn't ship us all some live lobsta'? You're making this east coast native hungry.

Gosh, I remember hiking the Tuckerman Ravine trail in my MUCH younger days as well as may other area trails. Lots of beauty and challenge there. Dad was trying to have us all become members of the 2000 footers club.

Thank you though for basically planning our trip(s) for 2021 for us. We had hoped to get to the Outer Banks and south last spring, but Covid...

We're hoping to head to the Ozarks yet this fall, once DH is finished with apple harvest here. Then he's retiring early next year, so we are planning big things. Nice to have some good recommendations on some CGs along the way (since we'll be coming from Michigan and traveling a similar route to what you did.)

Wow, those are some fabulous photos too. I aspire to get some nice ones myself as we motor about.

Also wonderful to hear a reassuring shout out about Total Value RV. That's where we got our rig. We had a few small warranty items to fix, but had to make arrangements to have them resolved here locally since driving the 250+ mile each way trip during cherry harvest just wasn't in the cards. Thor was good about working with us and our trusted farm equipment shop (who does a whole lot of big MHs as well). With more time on our hands in the future it will be easier to use Total Value RV's services if needed. DH grew up close-by so it's also a good excuse to visit his sister.

Travel on and keep us updated. It's fun to live vicariously when we can't be on the road.
You didn’t get the Lobstah’s???? I’ll have to check with FEdX.

Love hiking the Whites. Did Tuckerman’s Ravine about 10 years ago ( I was 53 then) and that will be the last time!! But it was a great hike. Still love to hike but we do the less vertical ones now.

The Outer Banks was great. My first time there. If you do go I would highly recommend taking the ferry to Ocracoke and staying at the Ocracoke Island CG its dry camping but its so awesome. Ocean is just a 1 min stroll from the campsite. Right over the dune.

Nothing but good things to say about Total Value RV!

Old 10-07-2020, 10:46 PM   #62

THOR #5141
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleGGG View Post
We've definitely got to try Skidaway Island. Looks fantastic!
Oh it is! Very quiet, friendly staff and huge sites. Lots of trees so shade is the norm.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:49 PM   #63

THOR #5141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabs4 View Post
I’m traveling vicariously through you, Grizz. We were supposed to be traveling this fall, but our AC needs to be replaced under warranty. The unit is on back order.

Glad to have you along!

I was very lucky, My dealer just happened to have one AC unit left when I went in to have it replaced. She told me that they were on national back order and did not know when another would be available...and that was in July. Hope you get one soon.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:51 PM   #64

THOR #5141
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
Hey Grizz. Glad to hear from you and know you are still out there enjoying your rig. Keep posting.
Mike
Thanks Mike! I am having a blast. And Very much enjoying the Aria. I will keep posting, count on it.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:27 AM   #65

THOR #5141
Hanging out in Perdido Key Florida. Took a little hike in Gulf shores state park and ran across....well tiptoed around this Mama watching Junior. Pretty Cool![IMG]908EB8AE-C6F7-4439-A94A-2BC299DA8733 by Craig Schriever, on Flickr[/IMG]

Now just wondering what this Zeta storm is going to do?
Old 10-27-2020, 02:36 AM   #66

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #13816
Great picture! I’m so glad you are enjoying the journey!

Pam
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:02 AM   #67

THOR #5141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabs4 View Post
Great picture! I’m so glad you are enjoying the journey!

Pam
Thanks Pam!Very much having a great time. Meeting nice people and seeing wonderful places.
Old 11-06-2020, 07:20 PM   #68

THOR #5141
The Blue Angels took their final flight on 11/04/20 in the F/A-18 hornet. They flew right over where I am staying in Florida, Perdido Key RV Resort and Marina,and I was fortunate enough to get a few shots. They have flown this “Legacy platform for 34 years and with this last flight they will now transition to the F/A-18 Super Hornet. It was awesome to watch them fly!

Blue Angels by Craig Schriever, on Flickr
Old 11-07-2020, 03:31 AM   #69

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Beautiful. Great to catch a once in a lifetime shot like that.
Old 11-07-2020, 04:04 AM   #70

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
...After leaving Blackbear campground in NY on Fri 6/12 and traveling to PA, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois we are now in Missouri! Arrived yesterday so 4 days and 1300 miles so much fun!! We will stay here (Long Shoal Campground COE) till Thursday and then its off to Clear Lake Iowa for a couple of days probably go to the memorial at the crash site “The day the Music died” and then its off to South Dakota and the Badlands, Wall Drug, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower and Custer State park. Then.....don’t know yet? Maybe North Dakota and Teddy Rosevelt NP or Montana and Glacier NP. Wherever we wander too I’m sure its going to be pretty cool!

A few thoughts on the Midwest man there are a lot of corn fields!!! I mean lots of corn fields. Who eats all this corn? I’m from New Jersey and we have a lot of farms (contrary to popular belief) and really good corn but geeez!

They said Get an RV it will be fun! They said take the backroads and see America it will be fun!

Some of the roads in Illinois are marked as roads...and they are more like goat paths. You end up driving through endless corn fields on this “road” now in a car its no problem, in a 40 ft MH towing it’s quite the experience! But it was fun and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Having FUN!!
First of all, good for you

Second, you must like cold weather camping? Dude, it's getting downright cold in those parts this time of year. Bundle up and good luck.
Old 12-20-2020, 03:02 PM   #71

THOR #5141
End of the year wrap up...6 months, 11,302 miles, 21 States, 46 different Campgrounds. There is A LOT of empty space in this Country. Saw so many amazing places, met some really nice people, talked to people from many different places and enjoyed every minute of it. We are on the Space Coast of Florida for the remainder of the winter and there is plenty to see and do here. We would like to wish everyone in a Very Merry Christmas, and a Happy and Blessed New Year!

With all the travels and sights and sounds we have had over the last 6 months, and all the future exploring and traveling we will do in the future, Dorothy had it right....”there’s no place like home!”

Untitled by Craig Schriever, on Flickr
Old 12-20-2020, 07:25 PM   #72

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
End of the year wrap up...6 months, 11,302 miles, 21 States, 46 different Campgrounds. There is A LOT of empty space in this Country. Saw so many amazing places, met some really nice people, talked to people from many different places and enjoyed every minute of it. We are on the Space Coast of Florida for the remainder of the winter and there is plenty to see and do here. We would like to wish everyone in a Very Merry Christmas, and a Happy and Blessed New Year!

With all the travels and sights and sounds we have had over the last 6 months, and all the future exploring and traveling we will do in the future, Dorothy had it right....”there’s no place like home!”

Untitled by Craig Schriever, on Flickr
Sounds like a great trip, glad you enjoyed it and Merry Christmas to you and your family as well
Old 12-21-2020, 12:44 AM   #73

State: Indiana
THOR #20066
Hey Grizz! Sounds like you had a great trip! Really enjoyed the pics. My wife & I live in Indiana & are planning on heading out West next June-July in our 2019 Thor 28A. We are planning on camping in a few spots on way to Glacier NP, then hit Yellowstone, Grand Tetons & a few towns in Colorado on our way back to Indiana. We do not have any reservations yet. Would you recommend we get reservations or just fly by the seats of our pants?
Old 12-21-2020, 12:39 PM   #74

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
We’re planning similar National Parks trip. Leaving early May 2021. Through South, then North. Same question. Reservations? Or just see where we make it and call around?
Old 12-21-2020, 02:26 PM   #75

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Wow That was a lot of miles and smiles along the way. What a great adventure you must have had. Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas to you too.

Paul
Old 12-21-2020, 03:16 PM   #76

THOR #5141
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick h View Post
Hey Grizz! Sounds like you had a great trip! Really enjoyed the pics. My wife & I live in Indiana & are planning on heading out West next June-July in our 2019 Thor 28A. We are planning on camping in a few spots on way to Glacier NP, then hit Yellowstone, Grand Tetons & a few towns in Colorado on our way back to Indiana. We do not have any reservations yet. Would you recommend we get reservations or just fly by the seats of our pants?
Hmm Well I would say to try and get reservations if you want to stay in any of the National Park CG’s ASAP. They are a tough get in the high season. Except for Gros Ventre in Grand Teton which is a first come first serve CG in the park. I just showed up on a Tuesday and got a water/electric site. If you get in you can stay up to 2 weeks.

If you don’t want to stay in the NP then my experience is that you can find someplace close but still I’d try and book about 2 weeks out. Thats what I did anyway. Never found myself without a place to stay.
Old 12-21-2020, 03:16 PM   #77

THOR #5141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
We’re planning similar National Parks trip. Leaving early May 2021. Through South, then North. Same question. Reservations? Or just see where we make it and call around?

Lol same answer.

Hmm Well I would say to try and get reservations if you want to stay in any of the National Park CG’s ASAP. They are a tough get in the high season. Except for Gros Ventre in Grand Teton which is a first come first serve CG in the park. I just showed up on a Tuesday and got a water/electric site. If you get in you can stay up to 2 weeks.

If you don’t want to stay in the NP then my experience is that you can find someplace close but still I’d try and book about 2 weeks out. Thats what I did anyway. Never found myself without a place to stay.
Old 12-21-2020, 03:20 PM   #78

THOR #5141
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Wow That was a lot of miles and smiles along the way. What a great adventure you must have had. Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas to you too.

Paul
Thanks Paul! Merry Christmas to you!!

It was a great adventure and it will continue after the winter, well at least what the calendar considers winter I don’t think winter happens in Florida.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:33 PM   #79

State: Indiana
THOR #20066
Smile

Thanks Grizz! Merry Christmas!