Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-16-2020, 08:55 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Grizz's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ARIA 3901
State: New Jersey
Posts: 145
THOR #5141
And the Journey continues...

...After leaving Blackbear campground in NY on Fri 6/12 and traveling to PA, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois we are now in Missouri! Arrived yesterday so 4 days and 1300 miles so much fun!! We will stay here (Long Shoal Campground COE) till Thursday and then its off to Clear Lake Iowa for a couple of days probably go to the memorial at the crash site ďThe day the Music diedĒ and then its off to South Dakota and the Badlands, Wall Drug, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower and Custer State park. Then.....donít know yet? Maybe North Dakota and Teddy Rosevelt NP or Montana and Glacier NP. Wherever we wander too Iím sure its going to be pretty cool!

A few thoughts on the Midwest man there are a lot of corn fields!!! I mean lots of corn fields. Who eats all this corn? Iím from New Jersey and we have a lot of farms (contrary to popular belief) and really good corn but geeez!

They said Get an RV it will be fun! They said take the backroads and see America it will be fun!

Some of the roads in Illinois are marked as roads...and they are more like goat paths. You end up driving through endless corn fields on this ďroadĒ now in a car its no problem, in a 40 ft MH towing itís quite the experience! But it was fun and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Having FUN!!
__________________

__________________
2019 Aria 3901--2019 Jeep Wrangler
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:12 PM   #2
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 4,375
THOR #1469
Your car is using a bunch of that corn.
__________________

__________________
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:12 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
Posts: 924
THOR #11781
Cars, trucks and RVs eat all that corn in the form of ethanol.
__________________
Lt Keefer
2018 Hurricane 29M
CHF, Saf-T-Plus, SumoSprings
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:11 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 14,639
THOR #8860
Cornfields?
From the State whose Official flower is a tomato plant growing on a pile of poop at a sewage recycling plant?
(I served my Collegiate sentence at Rider: in Lawrenceville. )
__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:22 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
Posts: 138
THOR #2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
...After leaving Blackbear campground in NY on Fri 6/12 and traveling to PA, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois we are now in Missouri! Arrived yesterday so 4 days and 1300 miles so much fun!! We will stay here (Long Shoal Campground COE) till Thursday and then its off to Clear Lake Iowa for a couple of days probably go to the memorial at the crash site ďThe day the Music diedĒ and then its off to South Dakota and the Badlands, Wall Drug, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower and Custer State park. Then.....donít know yet? Maybe North Dakota and Teddy Rosevelt NP or Montana and Glacier NP. Wherever we wander too Iím sure its going to be pretty cool!



A few thoughts on the Midwest man there are a lot of corn fields!!! I mean lots of corn fields. Who eats all this corn? Iím from New Jersey and we have a lot of farms (contrary to popular belief) and really good corn but geeez!



They said Get an RV it will be fun! They said take the backroads and see America it will be fun!



Some of the roads in Illinois are marked as roads...and they are more like goat paths. You end up driving through endless corn fields on this ďroadĒ now in a car its no problem, in a 40 ft MH towing itís quite the experience! But it was fun and I would do it again in a heartbeat.



Having FUN!!


90%+ of that corn is used for animal feed and for making ethanol. Very few farms out thataway grow sweet corn for human consumption. Like the others said, your RV is consuming a lot of it.
__________________
Rick Norris
Norrirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:21 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Grizz's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ARIA 3901
State: New Jersey
Posts: 145
THOR #5141
My Post about the corn was kinda tongue-in-cheek but thanks to all that responded. But I did look it up and about 40% of the corm grown is used for Ethanol, 36% is used as feed most of the rest exported. Only about 1% is sweet corn. Really interesting info about corn, which I probably never would have thought about if I was not wandering around the Midwest.
__________________
2019 Aria 3901--2019 Jeep Wrangler
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:28 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 14,639
THOR #8860
My response was definitely tongue-in-cheek...
We're just all glad to know that you're out there enjoying your rig!
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
"Well I may be confused... But you know I sure ain't down!"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:35 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Grizz's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ARIA 3901
State: New Jersey
Posts: 145
THOR #5141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
My response was definitely tongue-in-cheek...
We're just all glad to know that you're out there enjoying your rig!

Thanks Bob! Yes I enjoy and appreciate your sense of humor.

Yes enjoying the rig, the travel and all the folks on this forum.
__________________
2019 Aria 3901--2019 Jeep Wrangler
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:04 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Grizz's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ARIA 3901
State: New Jersey
Posts: 145
THOR #5141
Now in Iowa and guess what? Even more corn!! We are in Clear Lake Iowa and just had to stop and see where the music died. Having fun...
Clear Lake Iowa by Craig Schriever, on Flickr
__________________
2019 Aria 3901--2019 Jeep Wrangler
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:08 AM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 8,751
THOR #1150
and the Cash Cab rolls on.....


oops sorry LOL
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:13 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Popfla's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Florida
Posts: 407
THOR #14543
Cool

You don't want to know what all those corn cobs are used for.

Hope the rest of your trip is lots of fun!
__________________
Ed
2019 Thor Freedom Elite 30FE
Living The Dream in "God's Waiting Room"
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:08 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Ron1Z's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: Florida
Posts: 396
THOR #8069
10 State Trip

Just returning home from a 10 state trip, Fl,Ga,Sc,Nc,Va,Md,De,Pa,Wv,Ky,Tn, just a little under 2500 miles, visiting friends and family along the way.
The Windsport did great up and down the mountains, had no issues with the RV except an awning problem. Keep up the good work Thor!
__________________
Good Sam Member 836274654
FMCA F491320
Ron1Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta 24SS
State: California
Posts: 486
THOR #12698
Glad you are enjoying the life style on the road. It is an adventure for sure with a few minor bumps in the road along the way.


Paul
__________________
paulwadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 03:02 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Grizz's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ARIA 3901
State: New Jersey
Posts: 145
THOR #5141
Made it out of Iowa and through a bit of Minnesota and arrived yesterday in South Dakota. Staying the night at A COE park, Tailrace campground. Itís on an island in the Missouri River. Really cool place. Also did my first Blue Beacon Truck wash in Sioux Falls. Not too bad for the price really. Had to have it done because of the little wrong turn through a cornfield in Iowa! Man those gravel road throw up some dust when it hasnít rained for awhile. And there ainít no turnin around. Lol. Today its off to the Badlands and will spend 11 days in the area. Having fun and so far so good!

https://earth.app.goo.gl/nku5mQ #googleearth
__________________
2019 Aria 3901--2019 Jeep Wrangler
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:18 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
Posts: 132
THOR #4796
Lovin me some corn

If you find corn that interesting, you may want to stop in at Mitchell, North Dakota, on your way out to Rushmore. They have the Corn Palace in Mitchell. :-)
__________________
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:26 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Grizz's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ARIA 3901
State: New Jersey
Posts: 145
THOR #5141
Yeah I saw that as I was crusiní on 90. Was tempted but maybe next time. Enjoying the Badlands now. Bison by Craig Schriever, on Flickr

Big Horn Sheep by Craig Schriever, on Flickr

Badlands National Park by Craig Schriever, on Flickr
__________________
2019 Aria 3901--2019 Jeep Wrangler
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:24 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Arizona
Posts: 24
THOR #11568
Cool Across the country

We started at Lake Powell/Page AZ on 5/24. Went north through UT, ID and MT and stopped the northern route at Coeur díAlene. Turned west through MT, then to Black hills and Badlands, and across Iowa and IL. You are right about some of the backroads. Then through Indiana and Kentucky and stopped in Pigeon Forge for the Smokey Mountains. Visited grandkids in NC with one at the USCG in Atlantic Beach. Then south to Myrtle Beach and now in Anderson, SC at my brothers. Over 4300 miles and everything is going great. Just still trying to get to the rain and humidity out here. Headin south to the gulf next and then back west. Keep those Ariaís moving
__________________
Tebo53AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:30 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Grizz's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ARIA 3901
State: New Jersey
Posts: 145
THOR #5141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebo53AZ View Post
We started at Lake Powell/Page AZ on 5/24. Went north through UT, ID and MT and stopped the northern route at Coeur díAlene. Turned west through MT, then to Black hills and Badlands, and across Iowa and IL. You are right about some of the backroads. Then through Indiana and Kentucky and stopped in Pigeon Forge for the Smokey Mountains. Visited grandkids in NC with one at the USCG in Atlantic Beach. Then south to Myrtle Beach and now in Anderson, SC at my brothers. Over 4300 miles and everything is going great. Just still trying to get to the rain and humidity out here. Headin south to the gulf next and then back west. Keep those Ariaís moving
Sounds like your having a great time! Yes keep em moving! I hear ya about the rain and Humidity, I lived in it my whole life, well the humidity part anyway. We are leaving the Badlands today heading for the Black Hills and Custer and Rushmore. After that its time to head for higher elevations and cooler temps. Not sure where yet.
__________________
2019 Aria 3901--2019 Jeep Wrangler
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:08 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 14,639
THOR #8860
Maybe Flagstaff?
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
"Well I may be confused... But you know I sure ain't down!"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:58 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 2,569
THOR #3156
Great adventure Grizz. Please post more pic. Sure wish I was out there with you

Jerry
__________________

__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×