Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2021, 12:48 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Ok happy safe travels. We are jealous

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:00 AM   #42

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Judge ,

Enjoying your comments and photos

We have made similar trips over the years and enjoyed all of them

Few years ago got snowed in at Glacier NP in early Sept, keep your tank topped off for certain and keep the photos coming
Old 08-31-2021, 04:48 PM   #43

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Same here. Bringing back some fond memories and senses of adventure. It's trips like this that can possibly send you down the full time road.

Keep 'em coming! Have a great time and safe travels.

p.s. if you have the time and feel like, consider taking 83 down (through Beaver Creek). It's much more scenic and less 'crowded' than 93 or 35. There's also numerous pull offs by the lakes on the way to stop for lunch. Try to take note of the range on your left. There's some spectacular scenery to be seen. I passed up a perfect pic opportunity because I was barreling down the road at 55mph and it came right up on me. I didn't go back because the toad (4 down) would have been too much of hassle. There's a rest area in Clearwater Junction if you need it (at intersection of 83 & 200). I ate lunch there. Nice place.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:40 PM   #44

Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Montana
THOR #17100
Welcome to Montana! While in Glacier NP you should try to get to Polebridge and go to the bakery there. Also some great hikes in the area but make sure to take bear spray. Forrest fires may dictate where you can go. Glad you were able to see the Going to the Sun road, and thanks for the great travel documentary. Also thanks for all your posts-as a fellow Magnitude owner they are greatly appreciated!
Old 09-01-2021, 01:54 PM   #45

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Judge's 7-Week Midwest, Plains and National Park Trip Blog

So just getting some time this morning to catch up on my posts.......

Monday's drive from Medora, ND to the St Mary KOA in East Glacier took longer than expected due to some construction enroute. I opted to take routes 200 and 83 from North Dakota instead of route 2 based on feedback from people saying 200 / 89 would be more scenic.

Unfortunately, there were sections of route 200 that were alternating one-way traffic with the pavement removed so you were travelig on dirt and stone for several miles. There were two section of 200 that way and one section of 200 / 89 that was. It ended up adding about another 45 - 60 minutes to the trip.

In any case... we got to the KOA, setup camp and had a couple drinks to unwind and relax. They just started allowing campfires here again and it was a cool night so the fire was great.... unlike Nashville when we had one when it was in the 90's!

We have a patio site that is gravel and fairly level. We also have a nice fire ring and a Weber propane grill.... but the best part is the view!

There is alot of haze here so the view is not as brilliant as we expexted as we approached the mountains. It must be all of the spoke from the fires out west.

Weather looks to be dry this week with high temps around 60's and lows in the upper 30's to lower 40's.... perfect camping weather!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1628.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	33242   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1629.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	33243  

Old 09-01-2021, 02:23 PM   #46

THOR #12751
Tuesday we didn't have any tours scheduled so we decided to do the Going to the Sun Road. We figured Tuesday would probably be the least crowds before the holiday weekend..... that was a good call!

It got very windy quickly yesterday morning. A few awnings in the campground got damaged. Fornuntately our awning was in when the winds moved in.... they were shaking the coach.

We hit the park around noon and traffic on the Going to the Sun Road was relatively light. The water of St Mary Lake and Lake McDonald was as blue as you will ever see. It is unfortunate that the fires are so bad out west because in many places the mountains and glaciers look very hazy.

It tooks us about 6 hours to do the entire the Going to the Sun Road and stop to site see, take pictures, shop and get some ice cream. Our original plan was to do half of it this week from the east and then do the other half later from the west. I think it was a good call to do it all in one day given that the crowds and traffic were light.

Today we head to Two Medicine Lake for a boat tour and hike. Here are some pictures from yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1633.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	33245   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1643.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	33246  

Name:	IMG_1656.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	33247   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1682.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	33248  

Name:	IMG_1685.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	33252   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1699.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	33253  

Name:	IMG_1762.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	33254   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1764.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	33255  

Name:	IMG_1766.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	33256   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1783.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	33257  

Old 09-01-2021, 07:04 PM   #47

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Did you bring your fishing pole? I have looked everywhere for it!
Terry
Ps, thanks for the adult beverage, after that last road we traveled, I needed that.
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:29 PM   #48

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
Did you bring your fishing pole? I have looked everywhere for it!
Terry
Ps, thanks for the adult beverage, after that last road we traveled, I needed that.

No fishing but plenty of adult beverages?

Shaken or stirred?
Old 09-02-2021, 12:27 AM   #49

THOR #24260
The road did the shaken, I did the stirring.
Semper Fi
Old 09-02-2021, 12:38 PM   #50

THOR #12751
Woke up this morning to 31 degrees! Great sleeping weather..... the coach was down to 48 so got the furnace fired up before pouring the first cup of coffee. I'm glad I'm a techie.... I can turn on the coffee pot and the furnace from my phone without getting out of bed!

Had a nice day at Two Medicine Lake yesterday. Thought we were going to freeze on our boat tour and hike. Outside the eastern side of Glacier the winds have bee 20+mph and it felt like 40 degrees the past couple days. But once we got into the park the winds died down and the sun came through it was very nice.

We took a boat built in 1926 across the lake. It ws enclosed so that helped with the winds early. They said they put 3000 hours of maintenance into her back in 2019 to keep her looking like new. Not bad for a 95 year old gal!

About 15 minutes into our hike we encountered a moose enjoying lunch about 20 yards off the trail. We also spotted several mountain goats in the distance on some of the mountains surrounding the lake. We hiked down to Twin Falls, which was a relatively easy hike.

When we hiked back to catch the boat to get back to the Jeep, the moose we saw earlier had worked her way down to the lake to get a drink..... very cool stuff!

Today we are going to head up to Many Glacier. The folks next to us were there yesterday and saw a mother Grizzly and her cubs.

Funny story..... as we were loading up the Jeep yesterday morning... a guy and his wife who pulled in with a Class A Newmar the night before comes over to me and ask..... "Are you the Judge?"

I started laughing and said I guess I'm notorious..... but how'd you know?

He said they are from Denver and have good friends with a Magnitude who follow me on the Forum. They said they took a picture of my coach when they pulled in and sent it to their friend who said he thought that had to be the Judge. His wife then ran inside their coach and grabbed his name and email address for me.... which reminds me its still in the Jeep. So if you're reading this..... I'll get in touch!

It is truly a small world.......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1861.jpg
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	33266   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1818.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	33267  

Name:	IMG_1817.jpg
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	33268   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1813.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	33269  

Name:	IMG_1827.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	33270   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1836.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	33271  

Name:	IMG_1850.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	33272   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1859 2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	33273  

Name:	IMG_1824.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	33274  
Old 09-02-2021, 01:26 PM   #51

THOR #20220
Great story.here comes the "judge"
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 09-02-2021, 02:35 PM   #52

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Woke up this morning to 31 degrees! Great sleeping weather..... the coach was down to 48 so got the furnace fired up before pouring the first cup of coffee. I'm glad I'm a techie.... I can turn on the coffee pot and the furnace from my phone without getting out of bed! [emoji38]

Had a nice day at Two Medicine Lake yesterday. Thought we were going to freeze on our boat tour and hike. Outside the eastern side of Glacier the winds have bee 20+mph and it felt like 40 degrees the past couple days. But once we got into the park the winds died down and the sun came through it was very nice.

We took a boat built in 1926 across the lake. It ws enclosed so that helped with the winds early. They said they put 3000 hours of maintenance into her back in 2019 to keep her looking like new. Not bad for a 95 year old gal!

About 15 minutes into our hike we encountered a moose enjoying lunch about 20 yards off the trail. We also spotted several mountain goats in the distance on some of the mountains surrounding the lake. We hiked down to Twin Falls, which was a relatively easy hike.

When we hiked back to catch the boat to get back to the Jeep, the moose we saw earlier had worked her way down to the lake to get a drink..... very cool stuff!

Today we are going to head up to Many Glacier. The folks next to us were there yesterday and saw a mother Grizzly and her cubs.

Funny story..... as we were loading up the Jeep yesterday morning... a guy and his wife who pulled in with a Class A Newmar the night before comes over to me and ask..... "Are you the Judge?"

I started laughing and said I guess I'm notorious..... but how'd you know?

He said they are from Denver and have good friends with a Magnitude who follow me on the Forum. They said they took a picture of my coach when they pulled in and sent it to their friend who said he thought that had to be the Judge. His wife then ran inside their coach and grabbed his name and email address for me.... which reminds me its still in the Jeep. So if you're reading this..... I'll get in touch!

It is truly a small world.......
Great read. Keep it up

I wish more members got the thorforum decals to help identify each other. I met a nice lady at the Oasis cg in Amarillo 3 years ago. She saw the decal and came over to talk with Dino and me. She mainly posts on the thor facebook group but the decal made the introduction

Judge I'd bet more followers have seen you but didn't know it was you

Anyways continue with your trip. Im enjoying your adventures

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:59 PM   #53

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
A great story to add to your memories.

Paul
Old 09-02-2021, 04:39 PM   #54

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Great read. Keep it up

I wish more members got the thorforum decals to help identify each other. I met a nice lady at the Oasis cg in Amarillo 3 years ago. She saw the decal and came over to talk with Dino and me. She mainly posts on the thor facebook group but the decal made the introduction

Jerry
I'm not seeing the Thor Forum Decal available any longer...

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...&postcount=183
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5514948C-9C7F-4EAD-8446-E5EF9892D3FD.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	33279  
Old 09-02-2021, 04:49 PM   #55

THOR #20220
Where are decals
Old 09-02-2021, 10:46 PM   #56

THOR #24260
Judge,
Thanks for the recent pics, my wife loved them. You puta big smile on her face, bless you.
Terry
Semper Fi
Old 09-03-2021, 12:18 AM   #57

THOR #20220
Be careful

https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n/0bl6O...AmWUJ&hl=en_US

Black bear euthanized at Glacier National Park
Old 09-03-2021, 03:49 AM   #58

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I'm not seeing the Thor Forum Decal available any longer...

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...&postcount=183
I dont want to hijack Judges great trip thread but here's where to get them

Makestickers com
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:45 AM   #59

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Great read. Keep it up

Jerry
Thanks Jerry!

I think it is important for all of us to share as much as we can. Repairs and upgrades are only part of it and giving each other ideas about places to experience is also an important pat of the Forum.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:07 AM   #60

THOR #12751
Yesterday we went to Many Glacier. Be aware that the road into the park is under construction with alternativne one-way traffice. The road is horrible right now.... down to dirt and stone..... and keep your windows up because it is a dust storm with all the trafic. There can be delays of 20 - 45 minutes to get into or out of the park. But it is well worth enduring the construction mess for sure!

The Many Glacier Hotel on Swiftcurrent Lake is a beautiful site. After walking around the outside of the hotel, we were going to hike the loop around the lake but a portion was closed because of repairs until September 8. We talked to someone who recommended taking part of the trail and then branching off to Lake Josephine.... so we did. That was a great recommendation!

On the way we saw some cool ducks playing in the water and the scenery was wonderful. The hike was relatively easy with only minor elevation changes and the trail was in fairly good shape. We did pass a sign that said the trail to Grinnell Lake was closed because of bear activity.

When we got to Lake Josephine we got a great view of Grinnel Glacier..... the whole are was just spectacular.e of

On our way back we saw some people taking pictures..... it was a moose on the edge of Swiftcurrent Lake. Then I saw something I have never seen..... the moose going for a swim in the lake! The DW had her camera so we could get some great pictures even though it was too far away for an iPhone camera.

We got back to Many Glacier Hotel and stopped for a drink insde the restaurant and to relax a bit after the hike. Then we jumped back in the Wrangler to confront the constuction. On the way we saw a huge crowd of cars and people taking pictures on the side of the road so we new it was an animal of some sort.

It was a grizzly! The first time either of us have seen a grizzly so it was very cool! Again it was too far for an iPhone but my wife's camera took great pictiures and gave us a close-up look at that big beauty!

We got back to camp.... we started a campfire.... had a few drinks... and then cooked steaks for dinner. Then we invited the neighbors from Denver over to share our fire and some stories. It was just a great day all the way around.

Today we have a boat tour on St Mary Lake and a hike planned. We are heading into the park by 7:00AM to head to Logan's Pass before our 9:00AM boat tour so we can beat the crowds.

Here are pics from yesterday.... the ones with the lake and reflections of the mountains are great from my iPhone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1877.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	33288   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1878.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	33289  

Name:	IMG_1880.jpg