Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2021, 03:38 AM   #121

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Bummer..... we don't get to Rushmore until next Sunday. We head to the Tetons tomorrow and Fireside Buffalo Valley Campground. Then we are off to Cody and the KOA there before heading to Rushmore.

Customer is on our list... along with the Bison Round-Up. We are going to be out there for a week and be putting on some miles. We have Deadwood, Sturgis, Custer, Rushmore, Devils Tower and a few other things. We'll be at the KOA Pulmer Gulch for a week.
Palmer gulch was one of the nicer cg Ive been to. They have a good Pancake breakfast. I highly recommend it

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:45 AM   #122

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Bummer..... we don't get to Rushmore until next Sunday. We head to the Tetons tomorrow and Fireside Buffalo Valley Campground. Then we are off to Cody and the KOA there before heading to Rushmore.

Customer is on our list... along with the Bison Round-Up. We are going to be out there for a week and be putting on some miles. We have Deadwood, Sturgis, Custer, Rushmore, Devils Tower and a few other things. We'll be at the KOA Pulmer Gulch for a week.
Morning we were in Rapid City for a week in 14 with the toy hauler and hit the sites by motorcycle. Hit the Devils Tower but skip the Devils Tower View Restaurant. Bad greasy spoon, no view except the corner of the parking lot. Old fried food grease smell and mediocre food. Yes we ate no we shouldn't have. We also rode out to the Badlands which if we had gone there first would have been OK but we spent time riding to Bryce Canyon, Cedar Breaks and some others like that first. They are spectacular, Badlands bland by comparison.

On that day rode out to Wall Drugs. Tacky tourist spot with little redeeming value except it's sort of iconic. Did have a great pizza for lunch though. Interesting waitress. Bulgarian student studying the tourist industry and was in Wall as an "indentured servant employee". We stayed at the AFB in Box Elder next to Rapid City.

Last time I was in that part of the country the fires in CA and western states had smoky air in SD, MT and WY.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 12:50 PM   #123

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
The trees at West Yellowstone KoA have gotten much taller and wider than when we were there eleven years ago. You are a better picture taker than I am and enjoy them. That Raven is a small cousin to the ones I saw in Alaska. Two would have made a dinner for two. The beaks were huge! And I did not take a picture!
I walked out of the coach yesterday morning and a guy said he say a Raven pecking at my roof. There are a lot of pine trees around and they are dropping needles and such everywhere. He better not be putting holes in my roof or I will be none too happy!!!
Old 09-13-2021, 01:10 PM   #124

THOR #12751
After seeing enough of Yellowstone the past few days. yesterday we drove up to Ennis for lunch. It is a small town that still has some of that old west look and feel. We ate at the Gravel Bar and the food was pretty decent. They had outdoor seating so we sat outside and watched people moving about town.

From there we went to Virginia City and Nevada City about 15 minutes west. If you really want an up close look at what the old west was like, I recommend checking out these old towns that have been preserved as much as possible.

Virginia City and Nevada City lie along Alder Gulch about one mile apart, and is the site of the richest gold strike in the Rocky Mountains, with an estimated total value of 100 million dollars throughout the 18th and 19th century. The area represents the true and original Old West.

Virginia City was designated as the new territorial capital of Montana in 1865 when Alder Gulch had gathered most of Montana's population. At its peak, 10,000 people flooded the area named "Fourteen-mile City" for the numerous settlements that lined the gulch. Virginia City became the largest settlement with an estimated population of 5,000 by mid-1864. It rapidly became the territory's first social center and transportation hub. It was designated a Historic Landmark in 1962.

They have many of the building of the town open where you can walk into the entry way and look around at their original contents from back in the mid to late 1800's. You can see men's and womens clothiers, the barber shop that was also the dentist office, an old Bell Telephone office . switchboard, blacksmith and livery, saloon, etc. They also do a riding tour a couple times a day on an old fire engine.

If you are planning a trip out this way, I would recommend you spend half a day and riding up and checking out Virginia City. Virigina City does have a restaurant, candy store, ice cream store and a few other operating businesses. Nevada City is more of a ghost town.

We're breaking camp this morning and then heading to the Tetons. It's less than 3 hours going through the south entrance of Yellowstone to get to our next stop, Fireside Buffalo Valley CG. Keep your fingers crossed that my temporary slide repair holds up!!!!!

Here are some pics....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2551.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	33578   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2544.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	33579  

Name:	IMG_2536.jpg
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	33581   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2541.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	33582  

Name:	IMG_2539.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	33583   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2532.jpg
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	33584  

Name:	IMG_2528.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	33585   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2526.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	33586  

Name:	IMG_2524.jpg
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	33587   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2520.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	33588  

Old 09-15-2021, 01:27 PM   #125

THOR #12751
We got to the Tetons on Monday..... it was a nice drive though the Yellowstone south entrance to get here.

We are staying at the Fireside Buffalo Valley RV Park, which is right on the border of Grand Teton NP. It is a basic campground but not bad. Reviews were all over the map from 1-star to 5-stars when I was looking to book something last January. We have full hook-ups and the gravel pad is level. Water pressure is only 25 - 30 psi but the on-demand hot water has been able to handle it for showers. The WiFi is not that great but we have both AT&T and Verizon cell signal that is decent. It is an interesting place in that it has two different sections with entrances about 100 yards apart on the highway and the main section also has a gas station (w/ diesel and propane), convenience store and bar. It also has a failry nice laundry with what looks like new equipment.

There are no trees so no shade and full sun but that is not much of an issue this time of year. Some spots have nice veiws of the Tetons. The biggest problem right now is it is very hazy from the fires so you can't really see the Tetons very well until you are right on top of them. I would give this place a 3 1/2-star rating.

Here are some pics....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2657.jpg
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	33636   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2659.jpg
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	33637  

Name:	IMG_2660.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	33638  
Old 09-16-2021, 12:15 PM   #126

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Now that you're there, do try to get to that place I mentioned. I just hope he smoke doesn't ruin it for you. Good luck.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:58 PM   #127

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Now that you're there, do try to get to that place I mentioned. I just hope he smoke doesn't ruin it for you. Good luck.
I meant to let you know yesterday that I took your advice and thank you for it..... but it has been a busy couple days.

There were a few different Teton National Forrest access roads that we explored. We did find people camping in some places and we did find some places with great views.

We went up a hour before sunet hoping to get a spectacular view. Unfortunately, depending on the time of day the haze around the mountains really dulled the view of the mountains.

The early mornings have been the best time to get a clear view but yesterday the haze was not as bad as it had been.

It was still worth exploring and to get a different vantage point. A few of the roads we took got a little rough. There were some big ruts from whenever the last time there were big rains here... probably months ago. I don't think you would have made it in your truck in a couple of those places.

Here are some of the pics from that adventure......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2682.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	33670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 6.45.55 AM.jpg
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	33671  

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 6.46.04 AM.jpg
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	33672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 6.51.06 AM.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	33673  

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 6.52.45 AM.png
Size:	896.3 KB
ID:	33674  
Old 09-16-2021, 01:28 PM   #128

THOR #12751
We've had a nice couple of days in the Tetons. We've done several scenic drives, including Jenny Lake, Signal Mountain Summit Road andTeton Park Road as well as several gravel road pull-offs.

We saw the Tetons in the winter and covered with snow several years ago when we were snowmobiling in Yellostone NP. It is amazing how different they look without snow. They are so much more jagged and rugged looking this time of year compared to looking more rounded from the snow pack. They also look very different than the mountains in Glacier or Yellowstone.

The water levels in Jackson lake were down quite a bit. We saw boat docks just sitting on dry land. I'm sure they lower the water levels in the lake before winter to prepare for the rain in the fall and snowmelt in the spring but I have to think the levels were down much more than normal because of the hot and dry summer.

We drove into Jackson for lunch at the Sidewinder Tavern yesterday afternoon. Good few and a nice view if you can get outdoor seating. The crowds in Jackson are crazy..... even this time of year. Tons of tourists during the day and evening.

Last night about an hour before sunset we went to Schwabacher Landing. Again, one of the gravel road pull-offs. The DW read on Facebook that someone was there two weeks ago at sunset and saw a bull moose. We took a drive down and sure enough...... we came across an amazing bull moose and two cows at the end of a trail near some water. I just sat and watched him for 15-minutes..... it was an absolutely awe inspiring site.

We'll be breaking camp this morning and heading to Cody for a few days.

Here are some pics.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2590.jpg
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	33677   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2602.jpg
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	33678  

Name:	IMG_2612.jpg
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	33679   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2620.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	33680  

Name:	IMG_2640.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	33681   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2708.jpg
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	33682  

Name:	DSCN2315.jpg
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	33684   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2353.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	33685  

Name:	DSCN2318.jpg
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	33686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 7.26.24 AM.jpg
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	33687  

Old 09-16-2021, 01:48 PM   #129

THOR #12189
Quote:
I meant to let you know yesterday that I took your advice and thank you for it..... but it has been a busy couple days.

There were a few different Teton National Forrest access roads that we explored. We did find people camping in some places and we did find some places with great views.

We went up a hour before sunet hoping to get a spectacular view. Unfortunately, depending on the time of day the haze around the mountains really dulled the view of the mountains.

The early mornings have been the best time to get a clear view but yesterday the haze was not as bad as it had been.

It was still worth exploring and to get a different vantage point. A few of the roads we took got a little rough. There were some big ruts from whenever the last time there were big rains here... probably months ago. I don't think you would have made it in your truck in a couple of those places.

Here are some of the pics from that adventure......
That's the place and the road looks about the same. The truck did it multiple times but it was dry as bone. I would not have made it if wet. If that's the same road, there would have been two camping areas, lower and upper. The upper would have been where you took the pics from.

From your shots, it seemed you beared right at the fork in the road. Had you explored to the left, you might have been equally pleased. You're right though, that haze certainly takes away from it. If I have my bearing right, what did you think when you crested the hill to the upper plateau?

It's an absolutely gorgeous place - isn't it? Go to the town square in Jackson Hole and take note of the entrances to the park. I leave it there. There's more places to eat there than you can shake a stick at. Have a blast.

Edit: I just saw where you're leaving...hope you had a great time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200610_120212a.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	33688  
Old 09-16-2021, 02:57 PM   #130

THOR #12751
Quote:
That's the place and the road looks about the same. The truck did it multiple times but it was dry as bone. I would not have made it if wet. If that's the same road, there would have been two camping areas, lower and upper. The upper would have been where you took the pics from.

From your shots, it seemed you beared right at the fork in the road. Had you explored to the left, you might have been equally pleased. You're right though, that haze certainly takes away from it. If I have my bearing right, what did you think when you crested the hill to the upper plateau?

It's an absolutely gorgeous place - isn't it? Go to the town square in Jackson Hole and take note of the entrances to the park. I leave it there. There's more places to eat there than you can shake a stick at. Have a blast.

Edit: I just saw where you're leaving...hope you had a great time.
We did hit the Town Square on Monday evening after we set up shop. I could not believe how packed it was for a Monday evening in mid-September. It is cool comparing everything we say in the winter to what we saw this time of year.

I did see the two camping areas. We pulled down to the right a bit but there were a bunch of people camping in the upper level (lower level busy too) and I didn't want to disturb them too much with my dust because it is so dry.

To the left it was wide open an beautiful.... when we made the turn and hit the open fields the view of the mountains was amazing! It was just too bad the air wasn't more crisp and clear but we were both happy. We took out Minature Pincher (Bailey) with us and she had a great time too looking around and smelling many new smells! LOL

I appreciate the tips you gave me..... they were perfect!
Old 09-16-2021, 04:22 PM   #131

THOR #12189
Quote:
We did hit the Town Square on Monday evening after we set up shop. I could not believe how packed it was for a Monday evening in mid-September. It is cool comparing everything we say in the winter to what we saw this time of year.

I did see the two camping areas. We pulled down to the right a bit but there were a bunch of people camping in the upper level (lower level busy too) and I didn't want to disturb them too much with my dust because it is so dry.

To the left it was wide open an beautiful.... when we made the turn and hit the open fields the view of the mountains was amazing! It was just too bad the air wasn't more crisp and clear but we were both happy. We took out Minature Pincher (Bailey) with us and she had a great time too looking around and smelling many new smells! LOL

I appreciate the tips you gave me..... they were perfect!
That's the one. First words out of my mouth were: OMG.

I'm glad you got to see it. I'm happy for you. Safe travels and keep those pics coming please. I enjoy them very much.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:14 PM   #132

THOR #12751
Quote:
That's the one. First words out of my mouth were: OMG.

I'm glad you got to see it. I'm happy for you. Safe travels and keep those pics coming please. I enjoy them very much.

Old 09-16-2021, 08:25 PM   #133

THOR #12751
Judge's 7-Week Midwest, Plains and National Park Trip Blog

Well..... we just got to the Cody KOA. Pretty good place and can't beat the price.....$53/night for a patio and full hook-ups. It is just outside of the east side of town. The sites are very level and the place is easy to navigate around.

The winds as we were getting closer to Cody were fierce. They are about 30MPH. I have to hold the door to the coach when opening it so it doesn't get ripped off!!!! Only 61 today and 38 tonight but then it warms up to the upper 78 tomorrow and 84 on Saturday with lows in the 50's.

And while I often talk about the good, the bad and ungly of Thor and the Magnitude.... I have to tip my hat to the F-550. It has handled the mountains superbly..... both up and down. We came through the east entrace to Yellowstone on our way to Cody. Sylvan Pass is about 8500 feet and I barely touched the brakes once or twice on the way down the mountain with the Engine Brake on Automatic. It also sips DEF and I have 67% of my oil life left with over 3300 miles of towing through the mountains.

The other piece of good news is my temporary slide fix has been holding. I'm hopefull I can get through the last 17 days of our trip until we get back and I can decide my next steps. I can't leave it the way it is permanently... and it will come down to whether the SV34 stays or go. I have to admit that when it is humming along without issues, we are happy with it.

Here are some pics of the KOA.....

Name:	IMG_2740.jpg
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	33694

Name:	IMG_2743.jpg
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	33695

Name:	IMG_2742.jpg
Size:	325.9 KB
ID:	33696
Old 09-16-2021, 08:34 PM   #134

Model: Four Winds
THOR #24260
That bull moose knew he was Judged… a perfect 10.
Thx for the pics,
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:41 PM   #135

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
That bull moose knew he was Judged… a perfect 10.
Thx for the pics,
Terry
He was beautiful.... I could have sat and watched him for an hour.

Have to give the wife credit for the picture. She had her good camera. Even with it beiung only 25 - 50 yards away at times, the iPhone camera didn't do that bad boy justice like her Nikon.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:45 PM   #136

Model: Four Winds
THOR #24260
I would have been seated right next to you…..for as long as he stayed, and sorry not to be rude, I would have not said 1 word to you.
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:53 PM   #137

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
I would have been seated right next to you…..for as long as he stayed, and sorry not to be rude, I would have not said 1 word to you.
Terry
Terry....... I know exactly what you mean. You wouldn't have had to say anything. While the wife was off taking pictures, there was a bench made from a tree. I sat down holding the dog in my lap. We both just watched the bull. She didn't bark or even so much as wimper and I was content in that solitude.

The wife was thrilled to see it and I was happy for her because she really wanted to see a bull...... we have seen moose over the years but never a big bull. But she was also more focused on getting good pics. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad she got some great pics. Me.... I just wanted to be in the moment.

I get exactly where you are coming from brother!

Chris
Old 09-16-2021, 08:59 PM   #138

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
"The other piece of good news is my temporary slide fix has been holding. I'm hopefull I can get through the last 17 days of our trip until we get back and I can decide my next steps. I can't leave it the way it is permanently... and it will come down to whether the SV34 stays or go. I have to admit that when it is humming along without issues, we are happy with it."

Hey Judge, I just happened upon this company. Don't know much about the cost or availability in areas other than Tucson, but the product looks good and has to much cheaper than a Ghost!

Vroom Slide Systems - RV Slide Out Replacement, Fix RV Slide Out Fix

I have just been bitten by a slide out issue which I will post about in a while. I would like to check into this system as I love our coach and just have a queasy feeling about the slides.
Mike
Old 09-16-2021, 09:26 PM   #139

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
"The other piece of good news is my temporary slide fix has been holding. I'm hopefull I can get through the last 17 days of our trip until we get back and I can decide my next steps. I can't leave it the way it is permanently... and it will come down to whether the SV34 stays or go. I have to admit that when it is humming along without issues, we are happy with it."

Hey Judge, I just happened upon this company. Don't know much about the cost or availability in areas other than Tucson, but the product looks good and has to much cheaper than a Ghost!

Vroom Slide Systems - RV Slide Out Replacement, Fix RV Slide Out Fix

I have just been bitten by a slide out issue which I will post about in a while. I would like to check into this system as I love our coach and just have a queasy feeling about the slides.
Mike
Mike.... you rock!!!!

I am going to check this out now. I'll keep you posted!

Chris
Old 09-16-2021, 09:28 PM   #140

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Judge,
Go to the rodeo but I'd recommend skipping the dinner show
It was just ok. Instead go to a nice restaurant then the rodeo. Lots of fun watching. The Buffalo Bill museum was very good. Plan on several hours there. And do a river rafting trip. That for me was the best thing we did our entire trip

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote