Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2017, 12:53 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Willcox, AZ

Settled in for the night in Lifestyle RV Resort, Wilcox, AZ, home of Rex Allen, for those of us old enough to remember "the Arizona Cowboy" of film, tv, and music fame. We have now driven from IL, through MO, OK, TX, NM, AZ, CA, now back to AZ, and the only rain we've seen is right now in the desert in southern AZ. Who'd a thunk it? 😎Click image for larger version

Name:	20171205_174126.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	8098

FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:04 AM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Willcox, AZ

Sounds like a great trip and weather for you. Hope you enjoy the rest of your travels.

BTW...I watched many Rex Allen, Gene Autry, Roy Rogers/Dale Evans, Tex Ritter, Hop Along Cassidy and other good cowboy stars on the Saturday morning shows when I was a kid. Great entertainment back in the 50s.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:50 AM   #3

THOR #8503
Sure was, Larry. We got our first TV in 1952, the year I started school, and every Saturday morning was spent in front of the old black and white Philco watching all those shows. When I was about ten or eleven, and my brother a few years younger, we were home alone on the family farm. We were playing in the front yard and all of a sudden an airplane came over at very low altitude. We had never seen a real live plane except airliners flying over at very high altitude. Both our eyes got very wide and my brother said, "Do you reckon that's Sky King in the Songbird?" The plane circled a couple of times and then landed in our field right in front of the house! We tentatively walked over into the field as the pilot climbed out of the airplane. We asked what he was doing there and he said he was lost and running out of gas. He said this was the only field he had seen both flat enough and long enough to land in (this was in the hills of northeastern KY). One of our neighbors had seen him descending over the trees and came to see what was going on. He took the guy to the neighborhood grocery/gas station so he could buy some gas and they came back and fueled the airplane. He asked where the guy was going and he said, "Huntington, WV," which was about 70 miles away. The neighbor pointed North and said, "Go that way until you see a big river - that's the Ohio River. Then turn east, if you know what direction that is, if not turn right, and follow the river until it comes to where there is a big town on your right and another big town on your left. The one on your left is Huntington." The pilot was kind of concerned because he had to go under a power line and then climb out before he got to the barbed wire fence at the end of the field and also avoid a huge oak tree just to his left on his takeoff roll. He made it and turned toward the Ohio River and disappeared. The neighbor looked at my brother and me, shook his head, and said, "Good Lord. I thought you needed to have some common sense to be allowed to fly an airplane. Guess not." We watched the news on the Huntington TV station that night and they didn't have anything about lost or crashed airplanes, so he must have made it. I don't know if that event had any influence on my decision to make a career as an aviator but I became a navigator instead of a pilot because I figured every pilot needed someone to tell him where to go and how to get there. 😊
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 12-06-2017, 01:57 AM   #4

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
AND the birthplace of Tanya Tucker.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:01 AM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
That's a great story. Thanks for sharing. I bet you and your brother were expecting Sky King and Penny to climb out of the Songbird. [emoji1]
Old 12-06-2017, 03:38 AM   #6

THOR #8503
We were. We had just been watching Sky King about a half hour earlier.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 12-06-2017, 04:00 AM   #7

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
AND the birthplace of Tanya Tucker.
How could the Delta Dawn girl come from Arizona? 🤔