Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2017, 04:12 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
LA, hello?

Has anyone on here done any camping in the Los Angeles area? I know - Los Angeles and camping sounds like an oxymoron, but we are going out for a wedding.

FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:12 PM   #2

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
3 or 4 years ago when we made our first trip out west to specifically do the California, Oregon, and Washington coast I considered starting in the LA area. I did some research and after considering numerous factors we decided to just come across I-80 and start at San Francisco. At the time we were full timing in a 39' fiver.

Since you have to attend a function in LA why not camp around Palm Springs CA and make the 90 minute drive into the city? To me if would be worth staying a night or two in a motel so as not to have my RV in that metro area.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:58 PM   #3

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
3 or 4 years ago when we made our first trip out west to specifically do the California, Oregon, and Washington coast I considered starting in the LA area. I did some research and after considering numerous factors we decided to just come across I-80 and start at San Francisco. At the time we were full timing in a 39' fiver.

Since you have to attend a function in LA why not camp around Palm Springs CA and make the 90 minute drive into the city? To me if would be worth staying a night or two in a motel so as not to have my RV in that metro area.
Joe, we have tentatively planned to stay at Californian RV Resort in Acton. Google Maps says it is a 40 minute drive to Glendale, where our son lives, and about an hour and a half from the wedding site. Not a problem for me, but some in the family seem to think that's too far to drive back to the RV after the wedding. Staying in a motel/hotel in the city while also paying for a spot in a nice campground almost seems to me like defeating the purpose of buying my RV to begin with. If I wanted to sleep in a hotel and eat restaurant food the whole time I'm there, I would just fly out the day before the wedding and fly back the next day.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 10-09-2017, 02:35 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Wheres the wedding at??

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:57 PM   #5

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Wheres the wedding at??

Jerry
Westminster, reception in Hollywood.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 10-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #6

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Check East Shore RV in San Dimas. Its about 25 miles east of downtown LA, adjacent to Pomona. Its on a lake, and really a pretty nice RV park. Also much closer to Glendale, and far nicer than Acton.

Home - East Shore Rv Park
Old 10-09-2017, 07:17 PM   #7

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Check East Shore RV in San Dimas. Its about 25 miles east of downtown LA, adjacent to Pomona. Its on a lake, and really a pretty nice RV park. Also much closer to Glendale, and far nicer than Acton.

Home - East Shore Rv Park
Thanks, Laco. I'll check that out.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 10-09-2017, 07:34 PM   #8

THOR #3156
I was going to suggest San Dimas or Anaheim Hills. But Westminster to Hollywood. San Dimas is your better bet. That not a good drive. Those cities are worlds apart with the heavy weekend traffic. From Westminster youll probably take the 5 freeway to the 101. That's a 45 minute to two hour drive.

You shouldnt have any problems getting to the wedding. Since the wedding party and guests are all coming from Westminster you should all get to Hollywood about the same time.

Good luck

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 10-09-2017, 08:38 PM   #9

THOR #8503
The concern some had was the drive back to the RV late Saturday night after the Hollywood reception. I would expect late Saturday night to be better on the freeways than other times.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 10-09-2017, 08:42 PM   #10

THOR #8503
I really appreciate the words of advice from you Los Angelinos. My son has lived there for 18 years and knows the city well, but I hate to bug him too much while he is prepping for his wedding while working 12-16 hour days. Plus, he knows nothing about RV facilities in the area.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 10-09-2017, 08:51 PM   #11

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
The concern some had was the drive back to the RV late Saturday night after the Hollywood reception. I would expect late Saturday night to be better on the freeways than other times.
After the reception youll be fine. Even if you have traffic who cares. The important thing is to be there for the wedding and reception. Late night drive wont be bad. Thats the time to relax, enjoy the ride back to the cg, and refleck on your sons wedding

San dimas to westminster should also be an easy drive. Going into Hollywood is always a mess but like i said earlier everyone will be doing it so not a problem.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 10-09-2017, 09:33 PM   #12

THOR #5821
Its Southern California!!!! Traffic is unfortunately a way of life out here, though, unless there is some sort of incident on the freeway, your drive back to the RV park Saturday night should be ok. Since its Southern California, no guarantee, but odds are in your favor. I think you will find East Shore a pleasant park to stay in, ask for a site with a view of the lake. When is the wedding scheduled?
Old 10-09-2017, 09:59 PM   #13

THOR #8503
December 2
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 10-09-2017, 10:00 PM   #14

THOR #8503
Plan to arrive there on Wednesday, Nov 29, depart on Monday, Dec 4.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 10-09-2017, 10:35 PM   #15

THOR #5821
Early December, is usually cold, at least by our standards, though I'm sure not for you. On the other had, it could be in the 70's and 80's, also not unheard of in SoCal in December. We only live a few miles from East Shore, will be thinking about you during that time. We will have just returned home from our Thanksgiving outing.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:48 PM   #16

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Early December, is usually cold, at least by our standards, though I'm sure not for you. On the other had, it could be in the 70's and 80's, also not unheard of in SoCal in December. We only live a few miles from East Shore, will be thinking about you during that time. We will have just returned home from our Thanksgiving outing.
Thanks, Laco. We have been there several times in December, twice for Christmas. We took our whole family there for Christmas two years in a row and our Illinois grandkids actually went in the ocean by the Huntington Beach pier at Christmastime. This will be our first trip there since we joined the RV world, though. We were there in February this year and it was the greenest we have ever seen it there. The mountains around Glendale looked more like Hawaii than SoCal.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 10-10-2017, 12:10 AM   #17

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Wayne check the PM I just sent you. I think it will solve your search.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:04 AM   #18

THOR #8503
Hey everyone, I just learned about an hour ago, my planning assumptions were incorrect. We thought our son was getting married at the Presbyterian Church in Westminster, CA. Just found out it is actually at the Westminster Presbyterian Church in Pasadena, That probably makes San Dimas an even better option. Thank goodness for our daughter-in-law to be - our son might have had us at the wrong church mkiles away from where we were supposed to be. We still love him anyway :-)
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 10-10-2017, 08:05 PM   #19

THOR #5821
Wayne,
Yes it will be almost a straight shot from San Dimas to Pasadena, in the 210 freeway. are you renting a car or are you towing yours out for use? The church you will be going to is in North Pasadena on North Lake street. Be sure to check something like the sigalert app to avoid traffic surprises, which can be heavy on the 210.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:43 PM   #20

THOR #8503
Laco, I reserved a spot in East Shore today, so we are good to go. I am towing my car. My other two sons are driving there from Salt Lake City and Alamogordo, NM, and plan to stay in the RV with us, so we will actually have three cars. The site is 70 feet long, they said we should be able to park all three cars OK. They said if it is too cramped, they will find some other arrangements for the boys' cars.

I absolutely "love" autocorrect. It changed your name to Lao and it took me four tries to get "cramped" accepted and each time it gave a different word. 🤔
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704