Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2020, 02:45 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta
State: California
THOR #3975
Leaving Safford, AZ eastbound - which route?

This is a pretty random, specific question, so I don’t expect much of an answer - but here goes.

We drove today from Globe, AZ to Safford, AZ on US 70 - and the road was TERRIBLE: not really chewed up, but lots of tire thumping on repairs of cracked asphalt, endlessly.

Tomorrow, we are leaving Safford, heading East, ultimately on I-10. But to get to 10, I have to drive 75 miles on 70. Might be better than today’s ride - might not.

The other choice is to take 191 south 40 miles to I-10, then head East. A little longer than 70 route. And 191 could be good - could be worse.

Anyone live in these areas and know the routes? Any ideas?

As a little bonus: the reason we were in Globe was we had just finished driving from Holbrook to Globe, which includes driving down to Salt River and back up, which is a FANTASTIC drive: a beautiful canyon, lots of steep uphill and downhill sections (6% and 7% grades) - fun and scary at the same time.

Anyway, that’s my story and I am sticking to it.

Old 09-18-2020, 03:14 AM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Last week we came Hwy 70 from Alamogordo to Deming where it's I10 to Lordsburg then from Lordsburg to Globe & thought it was a pretty good route but weren't in a rv.
If you came through the Salt River canyon with all dizzying twist/turns ups/downs then Hwy 70 should be a piece of cake, certainly not any worse, or better, than I-10.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:25 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta
State: California
THOR #3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Last week we came Hwy 70 from Alamogordo to Deming where it's I10 to Lordsburg then from Lordsburg to Globe & thought it was a pretty good route but weren't in a rv.
If you came through the Salt River canyon with all dizzying twist/turns ups/downs then Hwy 70 should be a piece of cake, certainly not any worse, or better, than I-10.
I think 10 will be fine - we have driven long parts of 10 before. It was just the monotony of tire noise and vibration on 70 I would like to avoid - or maybe we already went thru the bad parts!

Thanks for the feedback
Dan