Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2018, 06:34 PM   #1

State: Arizona
THOR #7580
Lessons learned from cancelled trip

As many of you know, we just cancelled a 5 week trip to the Albuquerque Balloon Festival and points beyond. Last minute mechanical problem with RV slide, along with delays from Hurricane Florence made the decision for us. I'm posting this for information purposes, not whining or complaining.

Had to change route due to flooding, which meant last minute reservations. Asheville West KOA refunded half of our deposit.

Nashville N KOA did not. Jellystone, Memphis (3 nights) did not. In fairness, Jellystone told us at time of reservation that it was non-refundable.

We had made reservations near Albuquerque at Bernallilo KOA last year, 2017. Due there Oct. 5th. 3 day deposit required at time of reservation. No refund. I tried to get them to transfer it to next year, but not successful.

KOAs are franchises with local owners. Apparently each sets it's on policies.

I'm not sure the lesson in all of this, but I will try to do a better job of planning and inquiring next time regarding CG policy. If anyone has further information,please share.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:37 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm sorry to hear that you got caught up in some refund policies that seem a bit... unfair!
Did you try explaining the circumstances behind the cancellation?
I wonder if it might help?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:43 PM   #3

THOR #7580
Lessons learned from cancelled trip

Thanks Bob. Yes, the Asheville KOA refunded half the deposit. None of the others would. I'm sure they hear every known excuse for canceling. I'm on the hook for about $500 overall plus repair cost for the RV. Expensive week and no trip. Could be worse could've been on the road when it happened.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:45 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
yeah, that's too bad. Sorry to hear about all that lost money!

Seems to me it kinda makes sense if last minute and they have zero chance of selling the site to someone else.
and from what I'd imagine to be the business owner's perspective if they have very low occupancy and are therefore not making money it might be tempting to hold onto more deposits.
But I think it's pretty crummy if they refused refund even if they end up renting the spot to someone else...especially when they learn it wasn't really a frivolous choice that you made...

anyway.... Yes, I suppose that is something to consider when making a lot of reservations for a trip
Old 09-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #5

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Any chance one of your insurance policies cover trip interruption?
Old 09-24-2018, 09:30 PM   #6

THOR #7580
Looking into that. Not holding my breath. Thanks for the suggestion.