Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2017, 08:45 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
Sounds like good planning. Slow it down, drive a little less, see a lot more. Save some of those destinations for next year and enjoy BOTH trips a great deal more.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca

Old 01-13-2017, 10:09 PM   #22
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCampingNut View Post
After reading all of the threads and really thinking about the relaxation time and seeing the sights, I am still locked to 3 weeks. Maybe I was overzealous when I first thought about this. I love driving the RV, but not so much that I would be driving all the time and missing out. Maybe this trip, I concentrate on the northern route and then next year plan for the southern route.

I am currently re-working my 3 week trip to cover from Mount Rushmore to maybe hoover dam and then coming back straight across the U.S. and not taking a southern route to make it back. This way, I could spend more time seeing sights and actually relaxing.
You may want to re-think Hoover Dam...it is SouthWest of Bryce/Zion...
if you concentrated on the Badlands/Mt Rushmore/Custer State Park/Crazy Horse/Devils Tower/Custer Battlefied/Yellowstone/(plus white water river rafting on the Gallitin River)..Glacier Natl Park/then south to Jackson Hole/Tetons...and that area..dropping down to I70 to return East..or I80 back east....
You could easily add Hoover Dam to your next trip to Utah/Nevada/AZ/NM/Colorado !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:18 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
That sounds like a good plan!!
Old 01-13-2017, 11:53 PM   #24

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Colorado
THOR #6261
Custer State Park in South Dakota. Stockade Lake is a good area. Enjoy!
Old 01-14-2017, 01:03 AM   #25

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
The lease on our Tampa Condo ends the last day of Mar. My wife does not want to spend the broiling summer down here in Tampa -- so we are putting our furniture in storage when the lease ends and hitting the road. We'll come back to Tampa in Sep and move into the new condo we have applied for.

We are going to take 3 1/3 months on a westward trip as well. We'll leave 1 Apr and be back 6 Jun. The western trip includes Petit Jean Park (AK), Zuni & Navajo Reservations, Petrified Forest, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Yosemite, and San Antonio River Walk. We'll be staying in 6 military FAMCAMPs, 1 state park, 15 private RV parks, and 1 National Park.

When we get back in June, we'll take the RV and our car up to Twin Grove Park near Hershey PA. We'll stay up there from mid-June until the end of Aug. We'll probably take a 2 week excursion from PA up to the NY Finger Lakes before we return to Tampa.

Then next spring we'll do the northern westward trip - Mt Rushmore, Badlands, Yellowstone, Bryce, Grand Teton, and Mesa Verde. Our summer excursion will be New England and the Canadian Maritimes.

... rollin', rollin', rollin -- Keep those tires rollin'
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:50 AM   #26

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Maryland
THOR #3920
I've re-worked my trip plans and although still taking 3 weeks (can't do more), I set it up to spend more time at a limited number of places (Rushmore, Yellowstone, Bryce, Zion). I would rather stay a few days in these places and get some good pictures.

I was overzealous in my getting out to Mount Rushmore and was thinking driving like crazy to get there in 2 days. I am taking an extra day only driving 5-6 hours a day. Then I am staying in the other parks for 4 days or so to maximize time. I can always take more time later and do other sites, maybe next year.
2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:52 AM   #27

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Maryland
THOR #3920
Twin Groves is a great park, especially if you like taking pictures at night. My son (11) loves that park. We stay there a few times a year and it is one of the campgrounds away from all of the light pollution and you see so many stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
The lease on our Tampa Condo ends the last day of Mar. My wife does not want to spend the broiling summer down here in Tampa -- so we are putting our furniture in storage when the lease ends and hitting the road. We'll come back to Tampa in Sep and move into the new condo we have applied for.

We are going to take 3 1/3 months on a westward trip as well. We'll leave 1 Apr and be back 6 Jun. The western trip includes Petit Jean Park (AK), Zuni & Navajo Reservations, Petrified Forest, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Yosemite, and San Antonio River Walk. We'll be staying in 6 military FAMCAMPs, 1 state park, 15 private RV parks, and 1 National Park.

When we get back in June, we'll take the RV and our car up to Twin Grove Park near Hershey PA. We'll stay up there from mid-June until the end of Aug. We'll probably take a 2 week excursion from PA up to the NY Finger Lakes before we return to Tampa.

Then next spring we'll do the northern westward trip - Mt Rushmore, Badlands, Yellowstone, Bryce, Grand Teton, and Mesa Verde. Our summer excursion will be New England and the Canadian Maritimes.

... rollin', rollin', rollin -- Keep those tires rollin'
2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:12 AM   #28
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCampingNut
I was overzealous in my getting out to Mount Rushmore and was thinking driving like crazy to get there in 2 days. I am taking an extra day only driving 5-6 hours a day. Then I am staying in the other parks for 4 days or so to maximize time. I can always take more time later and do other sites, maybe next year.
Wow! It takes us two days to get to Rushmore from Michigan. I can't imagine how much extra driving you'd be doing to get there in 2 days from Maryland!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:25 AM   #29
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Wow! It takes us two days to get to Rushmore from Michigan. I can't imagine how much extra driving you'd be doing to get there in 2 days from Maryland!
Agree ! It takes us a day & half to get to Rushmore from Kansas City !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 01-20-2017, 02:27 AM   #30

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
I've re-worked my trip plans and although still taking 3 weeks (can't do more), I set it up to spend more time at a limited number of places (Rushmore, Yellowstone, Bryce, Zion). I would rather stay a few days in these places and get some good pictures.

Much better plan for the parks, but from Baltimore to Mt Rushmore is over 1600 miles of driving and about 24 hours of just driving time - not including gas, food and bathroom stops. To do it in three days is 8 hours of driving a day. That is doable (I have done it more than once) but it is hard traveling and everything will have to go pretty perfectly to make it in 3 days. I would make sure that day 4 is a swing day that you may plan to do something half a day or so. Mt Rushmore is actually better around sunset when they light up the mountainside, so planning to get there late in the day would not be a bad idea. Make sure you go see Chief Crazy Horse on the other side of the mountain. It is awesome.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:53 AM   #31

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Enjoy the trip. What we talk through is that you cannot do it all at one time. Use your time wisely and ALWAYS remember - the journey is the destination.

PS: we love that portion of USA - took 3 of our grandkids (ages 10, 10 and 11) with us through virtually the same trip. Wanted to create memories for long after we've reached our final destination - exactly why we did the trip. It was a share for us. Again, enjoy.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:26 AM   #32
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:

If you, only, plan to take in Bryce & Zion this trip...you will, definitely, want to plan another Utah visit to visit all the other magnificent sights .. jaw dropping at every turn !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 01-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #33

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:

You and I are in the same situation....
We are planning a western trip in the summer and only have 3 weeks to do it. DW wants to do Grand Canyon, & I wanted to do sequoias and Yosemite, and DS wanted to see Death Valley ( I wouldn't mind it either just to say I've been there). In the end we've settled on going no further West that the Canyon.
The canyon will be our one primary destination. I'm hoping to pin down one other midway destination for each way out and back as sort of destination stopping for a day or three. Then the rest of the stops I'm hoping to figure a plan to hit some points of interest by driving a bit.... say stop by early to mid afternoon and hit a museum or whatever.... rest up and hit the road again the next morning. Throw in a few hard push driving days and sleeping at walmarts and the like just to make some time... and I think we can make 3 weeks work nicely with 2-3 interesting "primary" stops and several other good points of interest.
We have similar gameplans I guess....
Old 01-20-2017, 05:05 PM   #34

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
We plan, plan, plan and then wing, wing, wingit. Seems like we stick somewhat to plan but the winging on our way is a lot of fun.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:45 PM   #35

State: Montana
THOR #4791
I lived in Maryland for 62 Years. Moved to northeastern Montana 2 years ago. We have traveled back and forth to Maryland and over the last four years six time. The last two years in an RV. Your trip for the time allotted is very aggressive even in a car. Unlike the east cost if you have never been thru the Midwest or the Western parts of the US. The distance between things will seem overwhelming. Been to all the places and more that you have listed. Yellowstone for example, if you enjoy nature and the spectacular views.
That can consume several days and never see everything. If you go during the summer months you will find the crowds of people and traffic may not allow to see things on your schedule. Camp grounds are always packed and a lot of the National Park sites are first come first serve.
Then you need to make the choice if you enter Yellowstone thru the south entrance, you go thru the Grand Tetons, Jackson Wy. Do you stop or drive.
By the way where do you live in Maryland
Old 01-20-2017, 08:41 PM   #36
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
You and I are in the same situation....
We are planning a western trip in the summer and only have 3 weeks to do it. DW wants to do Grand Canyon, & I wanted to do sequoias and Yosemite, and DS wanted to see Death Valley ( I wouldn't mind it either just to say I've been there). In the end we've settled on going no further West that the Canyon.
The canyon will be our one primary destination. I'm hoping to pin down one other midway destination for each way out and back as sort of destination stopping for a day or three. Then the rest of the stops I'm hoping to figure a plan to hit some points of interest by driving a bit.... say stop by early to mid afternoon and hit a museum or whatever.... rest up and hit the road again the next morning. Throw in a few hard push driving days and sleeping at walmarts and the like just to make some time... and I think we can make 3 weeks work nicely with 2-3 interesting "primary" stops and several other good points of interest.
We have similar gameplans I guess....
If you plan on traveling I40 ... there are many neat things to see which do not take a lot of time...you have the original US66 along the way in MO, Okla, NM & AZ ... in Okla there is the Will Rogers Museum...in NM, Tucumcari has some neat US66 memorable gas station & motels... Albuq (Old Town & Sandia Crest to name 2)...in AZ there is the Peteified Forest (drive through) and Painted Desert (drive through) before you leave I40 to go to the South Rim of Grand Canyon. Be sure to make advance reservations at the Grand Canyon if you plan to stay on sight. If you choose to go North from the Grand Canyon...Lake Powell is in the SouthEast Corner of Utah...Monument Valley ...4 Corners (about 15 minutes) ... drive by Shiprock...Mesa Verde..a full day visit & campgrounds...then go east across southern Colorado through some of the most beautiful country .. Wolf Creek Pass and more !
It seems, to us, no matter how well we plan a trip, we always find places where we plan to re-visit ! Last summer we went to Louisville before heading South....we discovered a number of wineries and small batch distilleries which are off the beaten path...which we plan to visit on our next trip east !!
Have fun !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 01-20-2017, 10:48 PM   #37

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #4986
Made the trip to Mt Rushmore this past summer from Arkansas. Stayed at Rapid City/Black Hills KOA. Close to Rushmore and various other sights. Very nice KOA with all the amenities and friendly helpful staff. Have a great trip and stay safe.
Jerry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:53 PM   #38

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Canyon De Chelly north east Arizona, hidden treasure if you westward bound RVers have time. Have a great trip there is so much to see out west and a lot of miles to be driven but well worth it.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:18 PM   #39

Model: Hurricane 31K
THOR #3520
Other attractions in the Mt. Rushmore area include the Black Hills Central Railroad, a steam train operating out of Hill City. And also the Crazy Horse Memorial nearby. From there I went to Devils Tower, a few hours away.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 01-21-2017, 06:46 AM   #40

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
The Minuteman Museum is well worth the stop in South Dakota (https://www.nps.gov/mimi/index.htm)