Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2021, 02:49 AM   #1
Jph

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #17238
Ms rest areas

Does anyone know if Mississippi allows RVers to park overnight in their rest areas?
Thanks
James

Old 05-17-2021, 03:20 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jph View Post
Does anyone know if Mississippi allows RVers to park overnight in their rest areas?
Thanks
James
Wow this question perplexes me... You ask as if you may have some reason to worry? Do you know definitively of any states that do not allow overnight parking at a State Rest Area?

I have only stayed overnight at a Rest Area once (New Mexico) and it never crossed my mind that it may be illegal. I am 99.9% certain that it was legal because there were no signs, and there were other spending the night as well. Oddly I have had my RV in Mississippi, but never in a situation to spend the night. I parked overnight on a Birmingham AL public street visiting a relative, and same for Memphis TN.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:41 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Wow this question perplexes me... You ask as if you may have some reason to worry? Do you know definitively of any states that do not allow overnight parking at a State Rest Area?

I have only stayed overnight at a Rest Area once (New Mexico) and it never crossed my mind that it may be illegal. I am 99.9% certain that it was legal because there were no signs, and there were other spending the night as well. Oddly I have had my RV in Mississippi, but never in a situation to spend the night. I parked overnight on a Birmingham AL public street visiting a relative, and same for Memphis TN.
Virginia, clearly marked no overnight parking.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:52 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
https://mdot.ms.gov/portal/guideline...elcome_centers
Old 05-17-2021, 03:55 AM   #5

THOR #2121
We have “rested” many nights in Mississippi rest areas on I-10 when traveling between Texas and Florida. I’m not 100% certain but think there are signs not to park overnight. Having said that, we don’t spend the entire night there, usually leaving after 6~7 hours. A few times I’ve stayed longer (practically overnight ).

Because our van is 20 feet long, I park in the auto section which has vehicles parked there when we arrive, and many still there when we leave. I have never seen the guards ask anyone to leave; nor have I seen the parking area very full through the night (much less than 50% full in auto section).

The rest areas do have separate parking for trucks and large RVs, and those do get pretty full. A few times when pulling out in early AM I’ve seen trucks parked off the exit ramps (I assume it’s essentially overflow). Whether they limit time there I don’t know but I doubt it. Large diesel trucks make a lot of noise and I think I would hear more of them through the night.

One nice thing about Mississippi rest areas on I-10 is that they have a dump station as you exit.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:05 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post

Most states do NOT allow overnight parking "by the rules" but they are rarely enforced.

Florida is a good example - from the Florida Department of Transportation site:

Quote:
Can I park and sleep all night at Florida's rest areas?
No, the rules only allow for 3 hours of rest.
Texas allows parking for up to 24 hours at most of their rest areas although some may prohibit overnight parking by signage.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:42 PM   #7

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Virginia, clearly marked no overnight parking.

My apologies to Virginians, but I have never liked that state. Unless I stop and read every sign carefully... rule regulations make me an instant criminal as soon as I cross the border From radar detectors, speeding and now no overnight parking. I hope the new infrastructure bill has a new I-95 Bypass around Virginia
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-17-2021, 12:50 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
How do you feel about West Virginia?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:57 PM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
This is better. I can 100% guarantee that I will never need to spend 8 hrs or more at any rest stop in Mississippi.

In New Mexico we got to the Rest stop at about 11:30PM. I would have drove further, but was afraid to drive over the Raton Pass during the dark. We left at 6:00AM; but there was nothing about overnight restrictions anyway. There was plenty of space and several others there before we got there and still there when we left. It was the 1st and only time I had pulled into a real State provided Rest Stop with RV and it was very very nice. New Mexico done good

My confusion may be that in my mind if I need a rest Rest Stop, I just stop to get gas at large box travel station and chill out for a little while; and get back on the road within hour or so. I pass true state Rest Stops all the time and figured they were there for people that needed more privacy to sleep, and/or spend overnight without being on the road for safety reasons. Live and learn; but some things do not make sense to me.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:06 PM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
How do you feel about West Virginia?
My 1st thought is Beautiful!!! and I mean Gorgeous!!! My 2nd thought is it a State that I always seem to end up in and never know I was going. i.e. Some highways take you in & through West Virginia when you are driving between Pennsylvania and Virginia and or Maryland and may have missed it on the map or did not expect it. My 3rd thought is trying to figure out what they mean about engine braking and all of those little side roads up the hill off the highway to nowhere that no one ever uses, maybe with a new Infrastructure bill they can complete those little roads to wherever they suppose to go
Old 05-17-2021, 01:06 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I suppose if you did pull into one for a "longer than normal" nap, and a LEO called you on it. Just mention the 8 hour rule, and fudge your arrival time a wee bit...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:07 PM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
You can park in our rest areas up to 8 hours, Do not think it is enforced too much. there are several types of rest areas one is just for pull off parking. the others are full service. With nice building and good rest rooms. generally at night there is a security person on duty. These also have dumping stations for your RV
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:33 PM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Most states do NOT allow overnight parking "by the rules" but they are rarely enforced.

Florida is a good example - from the Florida Department of Transportation site:

Texas allows parking for up to 24 hours at most of their rest areas although some may prohibit overnight parking by signage.
Texas allows almost everything. Speed limit 75, no radar needed, no issues with fire arms in RV (I am licensed anyway), and then we have plenty of Bucees
Old 05-17-2021, 02:17 PM   #14

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
You can park in our rest areas up to 8 hours, Do not think it is enforced too much. there are several types of rest areas one is just for pull off parking. the others are full service. With nice building and good rest rooms. generally at night there is a security person on duty. These also have dumping stations for your RV

We appreciate that Florida and Mississippi have armed security guards in rest areas at night. For that reason I skip Alabama and Louisiana when traveling between Fl and Tx. They may be patrolled also, but it’s not posted (as clearly anyway).

On way to Florida I usually stop in Florida panhandle, and have never had an issue either. On way back from Florida to Texas I plan on stopping near Pensacola or in Mississippi, depending on when I start trip.

I feel that guards are there mostly to protect motorists that stop in middle of night to use restrooms, so we feel quite safe since we don’t need to get out at all. I honestly wish there were more rest areas like those in Florida and Mississippi throughout the nation’s Interstate system. It’s great for traveling long distances easier and quicker, and saves a little money in addition to saving time.

I hope proposed highway spending includes additional rest areas.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:42 PM   #15

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
We have yet to have an issue with overnight parking at any states rest areas. We don't put down jacks or extend slides, we are overnighting not camping. The beauty of traveling in a MH you don't have to get out of your rig. We pull into with the idling trucks, start up the genny, put on the overhead A/C or fan and go to sleep. Get our rest and boogie in the a.m.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote