Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2021, 10:41 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.3
State: Michigan
THOR #20290
Need advice for Santa Fe Trail & New Mexico trip

We're hoping (and planning) for a trip from Michigan to New Mexico this fall (Mid Sept/Oct). We'd like to roughly follow the Santa Fe Trail, picking up the route in Missouri and following it to Santa Fe; taking in national parks, native culture, and history along the way.

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Where the trail splits, has anyone taken the northern route? How hilly/mountainous is it? Is the modern day Raton Pass any issue for a a Class A (Thor Axis); no toad just ebikes?

If you have to choose, would you take the northern or southern split? We won't be retracing our route heading home as we plan to follow Rt 66 headed back eastward.

Any must see stops? We plan to circle around from Raton/Capulin Volcano NP to ABQ, Santa Fe, Los Alamos, Bandelier NP, Valles Caldera NP, and then back east. We're thinking of Taos too but this itinerary already looks pretty full. thoughts, suggestions?? Southern and western NM will have to get saved for another trip if we like what we find on this trip.

Any favorite campgrounds? Dry camping, National Forest is fine as long as the roads to get there aren't too rugged. Harvest Host is also an option; any particularly fun recommendations?

TIA

Old 08-11-2021, 01:46 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 32.2
State: Texas
THOR #14520
We took our Class A over the Raton Pass this summer. Just need to take it slow, stay in right lane, hazards, and remember to downshift before you start to go downhill.

Northern NM is one of my favorite areas in the country. In Santa Fe we stay at Santa Fe Skies. Definitely hit the farmers market that’s twice a week and the Georgia OKeefe Museum.

Taos is exceptionally beautiful. I would try and work that in if at all possible. There are several good campgrounds in the area.

Carlsbad Caverns is worth the trip down the east side. Stay at the Carlsbad Caverns KOA or in the National Park. Also hit the UFO Museum in Rosewell.
Old 08-11-2021, 01:53 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Pick up a passport, if you don't already have one:
https://shop.americasnationalparks.o...assic-Edition/

We picked up one before our CO, UT trip (the deluxe one) then realized that there are a whole lot more to see enroute than our initial plan.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:36 PM   #4

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Puye cliff dwellings, if the park is open, Aztec Indian ruins.
Old 08-12-2021, 02:47 AM   #5

THOR #20290
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Pick up a passport, if you don't already have one:
https://shop.americasnationalparks.o...assic-Edition/

We picked up one before our CO, UT trip (the deluxe one) then realized that there are a whole lot more to see enroute than our initial plan.
Most definitely taking our NPS passport along! We've had one version or another since our, now adult, children were little.

Splurged on the deluxe binder edition a few years ago when DH became "old enough" to qualify for the NPS lifetime Sr pass. He was so proud that he was able to beat the price hike from $10 to $80 that came just weeks after his birthday. I add extra pages for all those enroute extras such as national wildlife refuges and heritage areas too.

It's the 200th anniversary of the Santa Fe Trial, so there will be special stamps at some locations. One reason we are choosing to make this particular bucket list trip this year.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:04 AM   #6

THOR #20290
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
Puye cliff dwellings, if the park is open, Aztec Indian ruins.
Thanks for the suggestion. That looks interesting and is rather close to other spots we plan to visit.

I'll have to check if they have reopened since the Covid closure and we'll have to see if we can work it in.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:47 AM   #7

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
+1 for Santa Fe Skies in Santa Fe, very nice
Or if your over 55 check Trailer Ranch RV Park, another very nice park.

Do you rent a car when in cities, how far and fast will an ebike go?

There's a nice campground in Capulin, it's a few miles from the volcano.
The visitor center is at the bottom of the volcano, will the ebikes climb that long of a grade?
Old 08-12-2021, 01:13 PM   #8

THOR #20290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raeburn2000 View Post
We took our Class A over the Raton Pass this summer. Just need to take it slow, stay in right lane, hazards, and remember to downshift before you start to go downhill.

Northern NM is one of my favorite areas in the country. In Santa Fe we stay at Santa Fe Skies. Definitely hit the farmers market that’s twice a week and the Georgia OKeefe Museum.

Taos is exceptionally beautiful. I would try and work that in if at all possible. There are several good campgrounds in the area.

Carlsbad Caverns is worth the trip down the east side. Stay at the Carlsbad Caverns KOA or in the National Park. Also hit the UFO Museum in Rosewell.
I do really hate to eliminate Taos and am reconsidering based on your comment.

We'd like to get to Ft Union as well. Is it feasible to get from Taos via Hwy 518 - “the High Road” - (& Rt 161 ??) to Ft Union? Is that route "RV friendly'" considering we don't have a lot of experience with hilly/mountain driving? If that's a no-go, any better recommendation?
Old 08-12-2021, 01:21 PM   #9

THOR #20290
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
+1 for Santa Fe Skies in Santa Fe, very nice
Or if your over 55 check Trailer Ranch RV Park, another very nice park.

Do you rent a car when in cities, how far and fast will an ebike go?

There's a nice campground in Capulin, it's a few miles from the volcano.
The visitor center is at the bottom of the volcano, will the ebikes climb that long of a grade?
Thanks; will check out those campgrounds.

Our ebikes have a 40 mile range and can get to 20 MPH, although we usually toodle along around 10 MPH. I wouldn't count on 40 mile range for all uphill, but I believe that road is only 2 miles, so hopefully should work. Never know until we try. We'll get as far as we get, have an adventure, and consider it a learning work in progress. Downhill won't require any assist. We may even opt to walk down so as not to constantly ride the brakes. Should be doable.
Old 08-21-2021, 08:27 PM   #10

THOR #16383
Raton Pass is under construction so don’t plan on setting any speed records.

Bandelier is a must see with the cliff dwellings

If you enjoy hiking, Tent Rocks is a hidden gem
Old 08-22-2021, 10:10 AM   #11

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
After you get down that way visit Silver City NM. There are cliff dwelling to the north but too far if you don't have a toad. This spring I stayed at Silver City RV Park. It's right downtown and walking/e-biking distance to town. It's kind of tight for big rigs. I was there with a Ram dually pulling a 39' toy hauler and did some "fancy maneuvering and backing" to get in and out. When I return with my Omni it will be a breeze.

Downtown kind of an artsy-fartsy place with hippies of all ages. Great food. Interesting shops and sights. NM was in throes of covid reaction/over-reaction from the governor and a lot of resistance locally to being forced to shutdown. Should be better now. I was there 3 nights and planning a return next spring to take my GF.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 11:03 AM   #12

THOR #20290
Quote:
Originally Posted by eodchik@yahoo.com View Post
Raton Pass is under construction so don’t plan on setting any speed records.

Bandelier is a must see with the cliff dwellings

If you enjoy hiking, Tent Rocks is a hidden gem
Thanks for the heads up. I was already a bit nervous about going thru the pass and the mountains. (It will be a first for us.) Is there an alternate route that would work? We'll be coming from Capulin Volcano headed toward La Junta, CO.

Yes, Bandalier is on the itinerary for sure; as are the other NPs in the area - Valles Caldera & Manhattan Project. We are actually hoping to make Bandalier our camp base and then day tripping from there a bit.

Tent Rocks is also on the bucket list. How strenuous is the hike to get out there? I have some minor mobility limitations, but can ride my ebike just fine if that is an option (not so sure it is, from what I have read). Also it looks like it might be temporarily closed. Not sure if that's a covid thing or other reasons. Time to make a phone call prior to setting out.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:07 AM   #13

THOR #20290
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
After you get down that way visit Silver City NM. ......
That sounds fun too, We'll only get as far south as ABQ on this trip, but we will keep it on the list for future trips. We do want to get to SW NM at some point too.
Old 08-22-2021, 02:59 PM   #14

Model: Damon Daybreak
THOR #19133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwife View Post
That sounds fun too, We'll only get as far south as ABQ on this trip, but we will keep it on the list for future trips. We do want to get to SW NM at some point too.
If you're going to be in Albuquerque, you may consider visiting the USAF nuclear museum. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...ce_%26_History
Old 08-22-2021, 03:03 PM   #15

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwife View Post

ABQ has a high crime rate so don't leave stuff out you like.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:45 PM   #16

THOR #20290
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
ABQ has a high crime rate so don't leave stuff out you like.
Ya, we've heard that. Will rpbably stow the bikes in the MH w/ shades down if we are not riding them while out and about. Wondering how to protect the spare tire. Hate to pull it off and stow it too, but it may be what we have to do.
We're not really planning to spend much of our trip in ABQ, just a day or two. There are so many things we'd like to see and do all around the area
Old 08-23-2021, 10:38 PM   #17

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
For Santa Fe trail focus, Tall Grass Prairie near Strong City, Kansas is a good stop. From there, Ft. Larned historical site, Larned , KS is very interesting and has hands on exhibits. Further west, Bents Old Fort in Colorado is worth while.

We found Bents to have one of the most touch and feel of any Old west fort we have been to. But, it is a recreation for the specific purpose.

If you are a real "Trail Nut" Kansas is full of trail sites and markers.Many require a great imagination to get full enjoyment.
Old 08-23-2021, 10:56 PM   #18

THOR #20290
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
For Santa Fe trail focus, Tall Grass Prairie near Strong City, Kansas is a good stop. From there, Ft. Larned historical site, Larned , KS is very interesting and has hands on exhibits. Further west, Bents Old Fort in Colorado is worth while.

We found Bents to have one of the most touch and feel of any Old west fort we have been to. But, it is a recreation for the specific purpose.

If you are a real "Trail Nut" Kansas is full of trail sites and markers.Many require a great imagination to get full enjoyment.
Yes, thank you. They are all on our itinerary as we follow the Santa Fe Trail eastward (homeward bound). We are looking forward to them all. We'll likely take in small bits of the Lewis and Clark Trial, Trail of Tears, and others where they cross the Santa Fe.

Given the Santa Fe's 200 anniversary we thought it would be a fun goal to maybe pickup a few special NPS stamps in our passport given DH especially want to go to New Mexico anyhow.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:13 AM   #19

State: Utah
THOR #12702
I don't know if White Sands is on your itinerary but it is worth seeing and also Hatch,NM for great chili peppers and food. Also if you eat out know that you will probably be asked whether you want red or green with the meal meaning red or green hot or mild sauce. You can also get both by asking for Christmas