Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2022, 02:00 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Do you think this will affect truckers snoozing on the on ramps?

Old 08-29-2022, 03:31 AM   #22

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Do you think this will affect truckers snoozing on the on ramps?
That has been illegal in most jurisdictions for a long time but with new federal e-log laws truckers sometimes have no other option. I would guess that a lot of law enforcement types no the truckers limitations and let them slide.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 06:23 AM   #23

State: Washington
THOR #6433
What really seems like it might get are those atop overs in a rest stop or something like that. Doesn’t matter if you are in an RV or a car. I have moved several times across the country couldn’t tell you how many times I passed out in a rest stop or park or whatever.
Old 08-29-2022, 10:06 AM   #24

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Homeless folks are like water in a balloon. Making laws to move them out of one place does not solve the problem, it only moves it somewhere else.

Yes I know this thread is not about the homeless but the thread is about a law that seems to be aimed at the homeless and van campers.

I wonder how it is going to affect all those truckers that spend the night on the off ramps along the interstates.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 12:06 PM   #25

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
This clarifies some of the new law: https://www.boondockersbible.com/202...blic-property/
Old 08-29-2022, 03:11 PM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post

....cut....

Yes I know this thread is not about the homeless but the thread is about a law that seems to be aimed at the homeless and van campers.

......cut.....

I agree law seems aimed at the homeless, and probably at vanlife community to some degree as well, but I’m not sure it differentiates between “van campers” and other motorhomes or RVs, if that’s what you were implying (I’m not sure of context). I just want to add my opinion for clarity that a Tellaro van camper probably won’t be treated any worse than an Axis Class A if overnighting in a rest area.

I don’t see much reason (with one exception) why the state of Tennessee or any other entity would prefer a larger Class A or C over a Class B boondocking. In my experience with rest areas, car parking where most vans fit are much less crowded late at night than the truck parking area, where large motorhomes typically overnight. I have never displaced a semi from parking or overnighting in a rest area; or any vehicle for that matter.

The link Happy provided states Tennessee has most restrictive rest area policy of all 50 states, limiting parking to 2 hours.
Old 08-31-2022, 08:22 PM   #27

Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Virginia
THOR #19277
In the world of practicality, it is not how the law is written, but how it is enforced.

It won't take long until the cops figure out the intent of the law and they enforce, or don't enforce, as appropriate.

I'm pretty sure none of us will become felons over this.
Old 08-31-2022, 08:53 PM   #28
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley1 View Post
In the world of practicality, it is not how the law is written, but how it is enforced.

It won't take long until the cops figure out the intent of the law and they enforce, or don't enforce, as appropriate.

We found out about the law from someone that was cited and has a pending court date in October.
Old 08-31-2022, 08:55 PM   #29

Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Virginia
THOR #19277
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
We found out about the law from someone that was cited and has a pending court date in October.
We don't know the circumstances, but I'll make two predictions:

1. That cop is a dick

2. The case will be null-processed
Old 08-31-2022, 09:39 PM   #30

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley1 View Post

This may be true and at the root of a lot of trouble with inconsistent enforcement of laws today. Unless the law is very clear it is hard to take the human element out of an enforcement officer to judge and potentially make the innocent bystander a felon for ignoring or ignorance of the law.

This takes us back to OPs first post and comment "The legislative committee believes the intent to is stop the homeless encampments but that is not how the law is written."

Hopefully the law will be reworded; so it is clear to all to facilitate justice for all. In the meantime, I won't take chances. If in Tennessee, I will try not to stop for overnight; if I do; it will be at a RV Park, Rest Stop or Wal Mart.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 11:11 PM   #31

State: Illinois
THOR #4121
Like many things

these days, it seems overkill is the first option. While I can see if there is a problem, to address it in this manner, is like allowing someone to shoot your dog for barking at them.
Old 09-06-2022, 01:04 AM   #32

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Thus, national forests (boondocking) are exempt, as well as any publicly owned campgrounds. Note that the Bureau of Land Management does not manage any lands in Tennessee.
Old 09-06-2022, 03:24 AM   #33

Model: Tuscany
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
We have a " reclamation area" in Ohio (former leased coal/electric utility strip mines from 20+ years ago) that is fairly remote and nicely regrown woodlands. It features three or four separate campgrounds with free boondocking!!

2020 and 2021 there was a tremendous vagrancy issue... trash everywhere. We drove over a few weeks ago, and it's completely cleaned up and refurbished. Each campground has a volunteer caretaker (free full hookups). Registration is REQUIRED and CHECKED by the caretaker. Violators are visited by a regularly patrolling sheriff cruiser.

The key is having a registration system - which is merely a FREE sign-in sheet. Vagrants seem to be frightened off not wanting to be tracked.

I think this is an effective method. It keeps the camping FREE for those who respect it... and provides policing to remove problems - not just ticket writers and fine collectors.
sounds like a great program