Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2022, 01:45 PM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
New Law in TN

ICYMBI

During our meeting yesterday the FMCA Legislative Affairs committee informed us about a new law in Tennessee that makes it a felony for anyone to camp on public lands without permission. This means that RV'ers cannot go to public land and boondock on their own free will.

The legislative committee believes the intent to is stop the homeless encampments but that is not how the law is written.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 02:47 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
It's probably written for a lot of groups including the everything-for-free van dwellers. We see our share of them down here at the beach hiding in parking lots, neighborhoods and public beach access points trying to camp without being seen.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 05:44 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
All I gotta say is... Be careful what you wish for.
Old 08-26-2022, 08:32 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
They passed some similar laws in City of Dallas specifically intended to give more teeth to go after homeless, but it was getting RV owners as well. The modified HB 1925 and SB 987, which would make it illegal to be sheltered in a “tent, tarpaulin, lean-to, sleeping bag, bedroll, blankets, or any form of shelter, other than clothing, designed to protect a person from weather conditions” in a public place. I think they made exceptions if you had running water, stove and a bath as in a RV

But on the flip side...

I was in Galveston driving up Seawall Blvd on a Saturday, saw a couple of RV parks and they had plenty of space so I decide just camp one night. They had openings but it was like $100 bucks and two night minimum and I believe one had zero hookups

Of course there was plenty of free parking but not so easy to park a 30' RV. We would eventually go to very nice restaurant to eat and they said we could stay as long as we like after we had ate and tipped. Eventually we got bored and left anyway. Sand is sand and you can only watch so many waves.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 11:53 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
Would help to have specific on what 'public land' means in this context. I suspect they're talking about state owned lands, vs. BLM?
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 12:06 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Devil's Advocate here...
Did they make getting permission such a tough task?
If the Homeless and live out of their cars crowd is kept out: that should make the place a while lot cleaner for YOU!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 12:17 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
Link to the bill: https://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/Bil...lNumber=HB0978

According to news reports, it'll be law without signature.

Summary states it will prohibit (in part):

(2) Camp on the shoulder, berm, or right-of-way of a state or interstate highway; or

(3) Camp under a bridge or overpass, or within an underpass, of a state or interstate highway.

From what I can tell this is NOT a prohibition on camping on public lands. Very narrow scope.

Also, appears to be a misdemeanor
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 01:21 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by widdershins View Post
Link to the bill: https://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/Bil...lNumber=HB0978

According to news reports, it'll be law without signature.

Summary states it will prohibit (in part):

(2) Camp on the shoulder, berm, or right-of-way of a state or interstate highway; or

(3) Camp under a bridge or overpass, or within an underpass, of a state or interstate highway.

From what I can tell this is NOT a prohibition on camping on public lands. Very narrow scope.

Also, appears to be a misdemeanor
Read from the word “expands” to the end. Class E Felony for all public lands not meant for camping.

Our Legistative Affairs folks tried contacting the Governor’s office but no response to date.

This was an FYI for forum members.
Old 08-26-2022, 02:16 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Read from the word “expands” to the end. Class E Felony for all public lands not meant for camping.

Our Legistative Affairs folks tried contacting the Governor’s office but no response to date.
Well if you're NOT supposed to be camping there... what is the problem?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 02:34 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Well if you're NOT supposed to be camping there... what is the problem?
Fishing spots, picnic areas, rest areas and other places not designated for camping but at track boondockers.

Not for debate but what is the definition of camping: parked for one hour, two hours, overnight. When and where does law enforcement write the situation? That’s the problem.
Old 08-26-2022, 02:48 PM   #11

THOR #2121
Really tough problem to fix.

Homeless will still be homeless when forced to move. I suppose that if they relocate to Kentucky or California it solves the problem for Tennessee, but if they end up somewhere else in state maybe not so much. It “may” make things worse.

Bob mentioned homeless sleeping (or camping) out of their cars, but where would law draw the line between car, van camper, and large/expensive motorhome or trailer? Where does it go from nuisance to acceptable behavior? Dumping trash and sewage in forest is not necessarily limited to poor, though probably more likely.

Some people can’t help being so poor they end up homeless, but the bigger issue are the homeless by choice. In my opinion laws like these are meant to make choosing the homeless-by-choice lifestyle a tougher decision.
Old 08-26-2022, 03:06 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Really tough problem to fix.

Homeless will still be homeless when forced to move. I suppose that if they relocate to Kentucky or California it solves the problem for Tennessee, but if they end up somewhere else in state maybe not so much. It “may” make things worse.

Bob mentioned homeless sleeping (or camping) out of their cars, but where would law draw the line between car, van camper, and large/expensive motorhome or trailer? Where does it go from nuisance to acceptable behavior? Dumping trash and sewage in forest is not necessarily limited to poor, though probably more likely.

Some people can’t help being so poor they end up homeless, but the bigger issue are the homeless by choice. In my opinion laws like these are meant to make choosing the homeless-by-choice lifestyle a tougher decision.

The topic of the post is not homelessness, which is outside the scope of the Thor forum, but about camping on public lands which is inside the scope of this forum.

Homeless encampment is a misdemeanor camping on public lands is a felony.
Old 08-26-2022, 04:34 PM   #13

THOR #2121
Quote:
The topic of the post is not homelessness, which is outside the scope of the Thor forum, but about camping on public lands which is inside the scope of this forum.

Homeless encampment is a misdemeanor camping on public lands is a felony.

Ok, your point is understood.

I don’t happen to see the world as “clearly/simple” and as “black-and-white” as some; that part should be obvious. Pretty much everything is connected when viewed comprehensibly. Having said that, you have singled out my posts twice recently, and I would like to know if this is due to this being your thread which you want to keep on your exact topic, or if your reply above is more of a personal issue with me. Either is fine, I just prefer knowing to what degree I should avoid your posts.

There are countless posts that have nothing whatsoever to do with original thread topics and nobody has been censored or called out in any way. I’ll stay completely out of your threads going forward. Life is to short to seek conflict.
Old 08-26-2022, 05:11 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Ok, your point is understood.

I don’t happen to see the world as “clearly/simple” and as “black-and-white” as some; that part should be obvious. Pretty much everything is connected when viewed comprehensibly. Having said that, you have singled out my posts twice recently, and I would like to know if this is due to this being your thread which you want to keep on your exact topic, or if your reply above is more of a personal issue with me. Either is fine, I just prefer knowing to what degree I should avoid your posts.

There are countless posts that have nothing whatsoever to do with original thread topics and nobody has been censored or called out in any way. I’ll stay completely out of your threads going forward. Life is to short to seek conflict.
Trying to stay on topic and not get into political issues like homelessness. Nothing personal.
Old 08-26-2022, 05:39 PM   #15

THOR #16721
Quote:
Trying to stay on topic and not get into political issues like homelessness. Nothing personal.
Homelessness is NOT a "political issue", but rather an economic issue. But it is certainly true how some folks do their best to MAKE it a political issue. AND... Agree 100% that neither homelessness OR politics should ever be discussed on this forum.

These types of "laws", while good intentioned, have a way of negatively affecting those they intend to "help". There are much more effective ways, although less popular.
Old 08-28-2022, 04:08 PM   #16

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post

These types of "laws", while good intentioned, have a way of negatively affecting those they intend to "help". There are much more effective ways, although less popular.
I agree with your takeaway. I could be driving through Tennessee trying to avoid some laws I think may exist in VA, pull over spend the night some place that looks normal and reasonable to me, to we awaken by State Trooper and find myself a Felon. I would not have the money nor time to try to fight it. i.e. is a Rest Area public land?

An analogy; part of the reason we moved out of the Marina was due to al of the rules they put in place to restrict non-members from visiting the Marina and use of parking. We had to pay more in fees for the security and new control gates, access cards etc. We had to endure long lines while they argue with people in front who did not want to pay and would ultimately turnaround. Then there were fewer people at restaurant and no easy way for boat owners to pickup guest without extravagant fees. Now it is a like a ghost town; but somebody got their way
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 07:18 PM   #17

THOR #2121
Quote:

Thanks for clarification, it’s appreciated.

The way I use language, I don’t see how discussing homeless encampments is OK and not political, but homelessness is. To me it’s a distinction without a difference; but I don’t claim to be an expert on English.

For what it’s worth, the committee is correct in my opinion. That part seems obvious.

I boondocked overnight in a Tennessee rest area earlier this year and would do it again if I needed; which is not my first choice. I’m confident resting in rest areas won’t be outlawed and or enforced.
Old 08-28-2022, 07:53 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
The homeless folks are making it tough on RVers and van dwellers. State and local governments are trying to get homelessness under control and it may be bleeding over to the RV world. I think places that are designated for camping are not really affected by these new laws. However, camping on the side of the road or under a bridge is pretty much the forte of the homeless and not the average RV user. This new law in 10EC sounds like it is directed at the homeless.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 09:36 PM   #19

Model: Tuscany
THOR #1808
weird
here in texas at any state owned campground or recreation use area you have to register if you plan to stay overnight
same goes for most city rv parks which in east texas are gems, quiet, nice and almost hidden.

as far as federal stuff???
Old 08-29-2022, 12:55 AM   #20

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
weird
here in texas at any state owned campground or recreation use area you have to register if you plan to stay overnight
same goes for most city rv parks which in east texas are gems, quiet, nice and almost hidden.

as far as federal stuff???
We have a " reclamation area" in Ohio (former leased coal/electric utility strip mines from 20+ years ago) that is fairly remote and nicely regrown woodlands. It features three or four separate campgrounds with free boondocking!!

2020 and 2021 there was a tremendous vagrancy issue... trash everywhere. We drove over a few weeks ago, and it's completely cleaned up and refurbished. Each campground has a volunteer caretaker (free full hookups). Registration is REQUIRED and CHECKED by the caretaker. Violators are visited by a regularly patrolling sheriff cruiser.

The key is having a registration system - which is merely a FREE sign-in sheet. Vagrants seem to be frightened off not wanting to be tracked.

I think this is an effective method. It keeps the camping FREE for those who respect it... and provides policing to remove problems - not just ticket writers and fine collectors.