Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #1

Brand: Crossroads
State: Missouri
THOR #4481
Exclamation Nice camping spots around Colorado Springs?

We’re thinking about taking our little travel trailer out to Colorado this fall, we would like to stay around the Colorado Springs area. I must admit that I haven’t done much research yet as far as good places to stay…….I thought I would ask you guys first to see if I could get some good suggestions before I spend hours online reading through reviews.

I’d like to find a place with a nice view, and not too far out in the sticks. We’d probably stay for 4-6 days. Any good campground that you would recommend I take a look at when I’m doing my research and reading through reviews?

Old 07-25-2016, 05:03 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: Colorado
THOR #3679
Great Spot - MountainDale RV Resort. Have stayed here and will be back next month. Check it out.

Mountaindale Cabins & RV Resort - Colorado Springs, CO - RV Park Reviews

Good luck
Old 07-25-2016, 06:40 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #4397
My wife and I stayed at Pikes Peak RV Park in Manitou Springs. It is real close to Pikes Peak and the Garden of the Gods.

http://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions...s-peak-rv-park
Old 07-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #4
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
We’re thinking about taking our little travel trailer out to Colorado this fall, we would like to stay around the Colorado Springs area. I must admit that I haven’t done much research yet as far as good places to stay…….I thought I would ask you guys first to see if I could get some good suggestions before I spend hours online reading through reviews.

I’d like to find a place with a nice view, and not too far out in the sticks. We’d probably stay for 4-6 days. Any good campground that you would recommend I take a look at when I’m doing my research and reading through reviews?
If you get past Colorado Springs, go to Salida .. there are a couple campgrounds east of Salida... then north towards Buena Vista...Chalk Creek Campground sits on the river in a valley.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:16 PM   #5
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkipper View Post
Great Spot - MountainDale RV Resort. Have stayed here and will be back next month. Check it out.

Mountaindale Cabins & RV Resort - Colorado Springs, CO - RV Park Reviews

Good luck
Hey ! Skipper ! I have a question for you..
Have you driven CO hwy 78 out of Pueblo to Beulah..then to 165 to 96?
I have heard it is a beautiful area and there is a primitive campground on 78 after it turns to gravel road...We are thinking of doing that loop this fall...
thanks K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 07-25-2016, 08:53 PM   #6

Model: Windsport 29m
THOR #3679
Ron and Kay,

I have not done that loop. Sounds interesting. I will PM you as not to steal this thread.
Thanks
Old 07-25-2016, 09:02 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Diamond Campground and RV Park.... stayed here one time for 2 week, we both loved it and hated to leave but all good things must come to a end... http://www.diamondcampground.com/index.html
Old 07-25-2016, 10:21 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Make the drive up to Mt. Evans (or Pikes Peak which is closer to Colorado Springs).

At Mt. Evans you can drive up to about 100' from the top (they said it was the "highest road" in the country--was just there last Monday).

(Mt. Evans is closer to Denver though.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:39 PM   #9

Model: Vegas
State: California
THOR #2485
We were just there a couple weeks ago and highly recommend visiting "The Garden of the Gods" in the morning to catch the dramatic colors of the rocks. We also enjoyed eating German food at the Edelweiss restaurant.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:44 PM   #10

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3487
Garden of the Gods

Striking place, was there this past June. Actually in the city.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3261.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	2571   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3279.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	2572  

Old 08-01-2016, 10:42 PM   #11

Model: Challenger LX
THOR #3922
AF Academy

If you know someone who is military they can sponsor you into the Peregrine Pines Famcamp, on the Air Force Academy. Full hookups for 24 bucks per night. Pull-throughs for the big rigs. Some sites are open for satellite TV. Wifi is only available at the shower huts.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:15 AM   #12

Model: 2013 Thor Damon Daybreak
THOR #3604
x2 on Mountaindale, very nice park.
Dvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:35 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
I recommend Cheyenne Mountain State Park.

Colorado Parks & Wildlife - Cheyenne Mountain

It definitely has good Views. It's not out in the sticks. It has biking and hiking trails in the park. Cheyenne mountain Zoo is near by.

Welcome to Cheyenne Mountain Zoo's website!

Ken
Old 08-03-2016, 11:07 AM   #14

Brand: Dutchmen
THOR #4780
I've never understood the theory about going camping to get away from it all and then parking ten yards away from someone you don't even know. I like finding sites away from everyone else. Typically on Forest Service lands. They call it 'dispersed camping'. You can stay up to 14 days at the same location and it's free. But you won't have hookups which I could care less about.

This spot was up by Brekenridge last week. Ten yards from a nice creek and a beaver pond. We had one of our quads with us so we took a ride up above timberline.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:34 AM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amre2me2
I've never understood the theory about going camping to get away from it all and then parking ten yards away from someone you don't even know.
Well there is a difference between "getting away from everyone" and simply "getting away from work/home and the stresses therein".

In our minds we didn't get an RV to "get away from everyone" we got our RV to bring home with us and "get away to see stuff". That would mean, sometimes, we're packed densely in a city campground close to downtown seeing the sights. Sometimes we're in a rural campground seeing nature, and sometimes we're simply camping for the sake of camping.

One of my more favorite campgrounds is the City of Houghton's RV Park. This campground is within walking distance of downtown Houghton, Michigan...its awesome

Not saying I can't see the appeal of simply parking it somewhere with no one around (your photos are gorgeous!) just that we view "camping" differently than you.

You never know: perhaps that person ten yards from you becomes a good friend by the end of the weekend...
Old 08-03-2016, 12:20 PM   #16
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Well there is a difference between "getting away from everyone" and simply "getting away from work/home and the stresses therein".

In our minds we didn't get an RV to "get away from everyone" we got our RV to bring home with us and "get away to see stuff". That would mean, sometimes, we're packed densely in a city campground close to downtown seeing the sights. Sometimes we're in a rural campground seeing nature, and sometimes we're simply camping for the sake of camping.

You never know: perhaps that person ten yards from you becomes a good friend by the end of the weekend...
Not to begin a debate over this...but, we agree with you Jamie.
We get away in our RV for the exact reasons you state. Being senior citizens, at this stage in our lives, we are not real comfortable camping out in the wilderness, 'away from it all' ...
we certainly enjoy exploring .. hiking..riding the 'bike' on off roads...
at the end of the day we are comfortable wherever KC's Big Box is parked !!
We do enjoy those campsites which are spacious and nestled in the mountains, trees and near water !!
Looking forward to camping on the Gulf Shore too!!
AND ... ya gotta agree that wherever we light in our RV is better than staying in a hotel/motel room !!!

HAPPY CAMPING ALL !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-03-2016, 05:37 PM   #17

Brand: Crossroads
State: Missouri
THOR #4481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amre2me2 View Post
I've never understood the theory about going camping to get away from it all and then parking ten yards away from someone you don't even know. I like finding sites away from everyone else. Typically on Forest Service lands. They call it 'dispersed camping'. You can stay up to 14 days at the same location and it's free. But you won't have hookups which I could care less about.

This spot was up by Brekenridge last week. Ten yards from a nice creek and a beaver pond. We had one of our quads with us so we took a ride up above timberline.

Well, the reason we went from light weight tent camping/hiking to a camper was because of our 1yr old daughter. So for us, finding a secluded place out in the middle of nowhere with no hookups is pretty much pointless.....if we wanted to do that, we would just hike in and tent camp.

With a 1yr old, it sure it nice to have water, power, a fridge, cold A/C, sewer hookups.....so that's why we camp at places that are crowded
Old 08-03-2016, 08:03 PM   #18

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Igraceworks,

I just moved from Colorado to Washington last year, so now I can let the cat out of the bag.

The reason Colorado has close packed commercial campgrounds, is to attract and pen up the "fereigners", so the locals can get the spots like you found. I'm sure you will be "contacted" once some Coloradan finds your post.

Ken
Old 08-03-2016, 08:58 PM   #19

Brand: Dutchmen
THOR #4780
"That would mean, sometimes, we're packed densely in a city campground close to downtown seeing the sights"

And a lot of us thank you!
Old 08-03-2016, 09:32 PM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amre2me2
And a lot of us thank you!
LOL!

Hey at least I'm not this guy:

What, perchance, did he have loaded up on that trailer behind the 5er:
  • Golf cart
  • Full size residential BBQ
  • Full size smoker
  • Large boiler
  • Tool chest
All of this dwarfed our little 24.1. Each day for a long weekend he cooked dinner using something different (BBQ, Smoker, boiled lobster).

It was impressive watching him hitch up the rear trailer to the 5er: He had his daughter hold her phone over the hitch and used facetime to his phone on the dash.

So thank him for not spoiling your nature, not us LOL (This was in a very popular local KOA).