Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2024, 01:37 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
NM state park fees could be going up for out-of-state residents

I found this on NewsBreak: NM state park fees could be going up for out-of-state residents

https://share.newsbreak.com/6776ckchhttps://share.newsbreak.com/6776ckch

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 02:10 AM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
The best way to word it is
'Locals receive a tax-payer discount'.
Much more palatable.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 05:28 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
I found this on NewsBreak: NM state park fees could be going up for out-of-state residents

https://share.newsbreak.com/6776ckchhttps://share.newsbreak.com/6776ckch
So it looks like Jay P has an issue with Texans. Jay P is throwing fodder to give some yet another reason for Texas to seceded from the Union.
jay p
1h ago
Last summer Texans overran the several state parks I camped at. They had generators running hours on end and obnoxious leds at night.

I guess I will have to stick to Rest Areas in New Mexico now. I have spent many a nights at the Sierra Grande Rest Stop. Genny runs all night. Great view of the volcanos. Price is Free; so it meets my Budget

Enjoy.... Click on See Photos, any place that has a Corral and a sign that says Watch for Snakes can't be all bad. https://g.co/kgs/M9emb5f

Bonus Video
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 02:58 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Ruidoso has almost always been know as
Texas West.

Texans infiltrate NM the same way Arizona folk invade San Diego or Puerto Penasco.

Triple the price will have no effect. It's generationally ingrained.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 03:15 PM   #5

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
The best way to word it is
'Locals receive a tax-payer discount'.
Much more palatable.
I will tell you local outdoors Colorado residents are treated fairly well at their parks etc
Old 02-20-2024, 03:16 PM   #6

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
So it looks like Jay P has an issue with Texans. Jay P is throwing fodder to give some yet another reason for Texas to seceded from the Union.
jay p
1h ago
Last summer Texans overran the several state parks I camped at. They had generators running hours on end and obnoxious leds at night.

I guess I will have to stick to Rest Areas in New Mexico now. I have spent many a nights at the Sierra Grande Rest Stop. Genny runs all night. Great view of the volcanos. Price is Free; so it meets my Budget

Enjoy.... Click on See Photos, any place that has a Corral and a sign that says Watch for Snakes can't be all bad. https://g.co/kgs/M9emb5f

Bonus Video
Perfect. Nice information
Old 02-20-2024, 03:17 PM   #7

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Ruidoso has almost always been know as
Texas West.

Texans infiltrate NM the same way Arizona folk invade San Diego or Puerto Penasco.

Triple the price will have no effect. It's generationally ingrained.
Lots of cabin rentals there.
Nice area
Old 02-20-2024, 04:11 PM   #8

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Out of state premiums are common here in the NE. Due to Connecticut’s no pet policy we rarely camp in our home state and as a result often pay out of state fees.

Massachusetts is the absolute worst. $30 per day out of state fee, essentially doubles our camping costs there.

Most other states are $5-10.

David
Old 02-20-2024, 09:22 PM   #9

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Michigan requires anyone using their state parks to purchase a park pass. Residents at the time of vehicle registration pay $14. Nonresident price is $40. This is your park entrance pass, camping fees are additional.
What I think is crappy about the Michigan system, if you are towing a trailer your park pass goes on the tow vehicle no other entrance fees are required. You are golden. A motor home is required to have the annual pass in the windshield. If you are towing, you are charged an additional $8 for the toad. I don't see the logic here.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 09:25 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Michigan requires anyone using their state parks to purchase a park pass. Residents at the time of vehicle registration pay $14. Nonresident price is $40. This is your park entrance pass, camping fees are additional.
What I think is crappy about the Michigan system, if you are towing a trailer your park pass is goes on the tow vehicle no other entrance fees are required. You are golden. A motor home is required to have the annual pass in the windshield. If you are towing, you are charged an additional $8 for the toad. I don't see the logic here.
It's Michigan: nuff said.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 09:29 PM   #11

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Indiana State Parks charge a resident park entrance fee of $7 a day. Nonresidents pay $9. The fee is only charged the first day of your camping trip.
Camping fees are same price for both resident & nonresidents.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 03:56 AM   #12

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
As a rule, we don't stay in many state parks. For 'parks' we limit our stays to places that accept the America the Beautiful card. As to paying out of state rates, we don't. If a state park charges extra for tourists, I consider them unfriendly and do not give them my dollars. It seems counter-intuitive to charge tourists extra. We have travelled to your state, spent our money in your stores, attractions, and paid your fuel taxes and in some places tolls. Why these states want to bite the hand that feeds them in beyond me. It also seems unfair as federal tax dollars are funneled into state parks and we all pay those taxes. We visit family in Delaware every other year and always stay in a mom and pop campground across the state line in Maryland because it is half the price of a Delaware SP.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 12:29 AM   #13

Model: Grand Design Imagine 2250
State: Washington
THOR #18658
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
What I think is crappy about the Michigan system, if you are towing a trailer your park pass goes on the tow vehicle no other entrance fees are required. You are golden. A motor home is required to have the annual pass in the windshield. If you are towing, you are charged an additional $8 for the toad. I don't see the logic here.
Whether logical, or not, think two motorized vehicles.
That fits!
Old 02-25-2024, 07:56 AM   #14

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine6805 View Post
Whether logical, or not, think two motorized vehicles.
That fits!
Colorado didn't double ding us last summer. We were towing the Wrangler. Had to buy an annual pass, which is displayed in the lower passenger corner of the motorhome windshield. As we entered a campground they printed us separate window stickers for the Jeep... one for each day of our stay.

The Jeep stickers didn't cost extra... and we had the luxury of leaving/re-entering with either the motorhome OR the Jeep. But of course we never moved the motorhome once parked, leveled and set up.

If you think about it, it's the SAME as a truck pulling a trailer... except ours was reversed... the trailer pulling the truck.
Old 02-25-2024, 02:36 PM   #15

Model: Grand Design Imagine 2250
State: Washington
THOR #18658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Colorado didn't double ding us last summer. We were towing the Wrangler. Had to buy an annual pass, which is displayed in the lower passenger corner of the motorhome windshield. As we entered a campground they printed us separate window stickers for the Jeep... one for each day of our stay.

The Jeep stickers didn't cost extra... and we had the luxury of leaving/re-entering with either the motorhome OR the Jeep. But of course we never moved the motorhome once parked, leveled and set up.

If you think about it, it's the SAME as a truck pulling a trailer... except ours was reversed... the trailer pulling the truck.
Each state has their own rules . . . ..cannot compare.
Oregon is the only state I know that extends Disabled Veteran fees to "out if state" veterans, but I can't hold that against the other states. I am from Washington State and enjoy every perc as much as I can without picking apart other states
Old 02-25-2024, 03:12 PM   #16

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post

We have stayed in multiple Colorado State parks multiple times and thus far have not actually had to pay for the motorhome. Now we never had a toad on any of the trips, but the way the parks we went to did it was they made you prepay for site online. You could not pay for the Motorhome or vehicles at the time. Each time we arrived they instruct us to go directly to our Campsite and they gave us the placard for the motorhome. I think they expect you to go to some other Visitor center to pay for your daily vehicle fee? I didn't and they never said anything. We drive in and out of the campsite at least 3 times a day and they always let us in based on the Motorhome placard.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote