Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2020, 06:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
North Georgia mountains

Looking for a full hook up RV park in the Georgia mountains with a lake and mountain views for mid August thru mid Sept. DH is working from home so have hotspot will travel--but to a quiet location if we can find such a place--hoping to avoid the stress of peak hurricane season during Covid as our bricks and stix is in a mandatory evacuation zone.
I've looked at the primary websites for ideas, but hoping someone has some real life recommendations. We have two small dogs and a cat (indoors only) and don't want to travel more than a day or two away from home.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:00 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
Looking for a full hook up RV park in the Georgia mountains with a lake and mountain views for mid August thru mid Sept. DH is working from home so have hotspot will travel--but to a quiet location if we can find such a place--hoping to avoid the stress of peak hurricane season during Covid as our bricks and stix is in a mandatory evacuation zone.
I've looked at the primary websites for ideas, but hoping someone has some real life recommendations. We have two small dogs and a cat (indoors only) and don't want to travel more than a day or two away from home.
If you want the be in the middle of everything, then - <https://georgiamountainfairgrounds.com/pageserver/campground-map> If you want to get away from it all, then - Nantahala/Jackrabbit campground (Nantahala National Forrest). Been to both and there are both great for what they are. The best GA mountain state park by far is Unicoi but you are not next to the water unless you rent a cabin and of course Helen is right down the road.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:53 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
See if you cab get hold of The Gritz Carlton. Those are his old stompin' grounds.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:28 PM   #4

THOR #1287
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
See if you cab get hold of The Gritz Carlton. Those are his old stompin' grounds.
Sent him a PM.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:54 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
N Georgia Fair Campground, both Full Hookups and Partial, Lake views/mountains, busy
Hiawassee

Towns County campground, partial hookups, LAKE CHATUGE, mountains
Towns County/Hiawassee government website

Longridge Campground, full hookups, Mountains mainly, small creek
Hiawassee, Sunnyside Rd

Clay County Campground/ReserveAmerica.....LAKE CHATUGE!
just north of Hiawassee in Hayesville, NC ... partial hookups $20 nightly

Appalachian Campground, between Hiawassee and Helen, mountains, small creek
full hookups, cheap

a NEW rv park, right down from Ingles in Hayesville, on the 'Dam' road... gravel/full hookups, right on the Hiwassee River, some mountains... not advertised

and several down US64 east from Hayesville, toward 'Shooting Creek'

While you'll actually find MANY rv parks and campgrounds, take a look at Google Maps using the search term 'campground' and you'll see a LOT of options....a LOT!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:14 AM   #6

THOR #12189
Quote:
Sent him a PM.
Thanks for the suggestion.
And then there's Mr. Turner. My apology Mr. Turner, I forgot about you and it wasn't intentional.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #7

THOR #1287
So many campgrounds, so little time...

Thanks TurnerFam for the referrals. Because I did do a google maps search I found so many I sent out the SOS. Some of the ones that sound so good (location, amenities, and maintenance) are either only partial hookups, as you noted, or have 14 day limits, or both. I was hoping to stay in one spot for a month but will rethink that. We do need full hookups. I agree, there are LOTS of smaller campgrounds, most without websites, so thank you for your insights. Much appreciated.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:00 PM   #8

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Having lived North of Knoxville and on the NW side of Chattanooga I traveled that area and visited/camped all over. Many of the parks are new now but the scenery is still very similar. Great place to visit and live

If your a history buff take advantage of that. Definitely drive the Ocoee river and spend a day or more in that area.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:21 PM   #9

THOR #12189
Quote:
Thanks TurnerFam for the referrals. Because I did do a google maps search I found so many I sent out the SOS. Some of the ones that sound so good (location, amenities, and maintenance) are either only partial hookups, as you noted, or have 14 day limits, or both. I was hoping to stay in one spot for a month but will rethink that. We do need full hookups. I agree, there are LOTS of smaller campgrounds, most without websites, so thank you for your insights. Much appreciated.
There's a new resort there and you might try that. I'm having a senior moment and can't remember the name. Maybe Turner will chime in.

Got it: https://brlodgervpark.com/
Old 06-02-2020, 10:22 PM   #10

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
no, not aware of any NEW resort, sorry : /
Old 06-10-2020, 06:35 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #6994
I have stayed at Vogel State Park in Blairsville, Georgia. I loved it there. There's a lake, spacious sites, and lots of hiking. It is in the beautiful, cool, peaceful mountains.