Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 07:42 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 32.1 ACE
State: Texas
THOR #14323
RV park in Ft Myers enforces the same rule. My tow dolly fits under the rear of my ACE due to the tail rising in the rear. So moved the dolly, backed over it & the next day made me move the car to overflow.

Won't be back, I'll stick with Camp Gulf! The park it for you & then deliver when its time for you to leave.

Old 01-04-2020, 07:45 PM   #22

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #15745
Thumbs down

If the campground is going to charge a fee to park any type of towed trailer or dolly THEY BETTER BE USING THAT MONEY FOR INSURANCE TO COVER DAMAGE OR STOLEN ITEMS. if not shame on them. I would not stay there ever again.
FMCA Member
Old 01-04-2020, 09:06 PM   #23

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
If the rules changed since their two recent visits then there should be some discretion. If anyone says they read the rules every-time they ‘rebook’ a reservation them i call BS. But yes, rules are rules.
Call BS all you want but I read the rules every time I rebook my campsites. One of my favorite campgrounds has been sold 3 times over the years I've been staying there and the rules continually change. I have a short list of questions I ask every time I make a reservation and when I'm towing my trailer one of them is whether the trailer can stay on site or not. This May I will be staying elsewhere because the newest owners decided to not allow trailers on site and are requiring them to be dropped or moved into the overflow parking lot. Needless to say that was not acceptable so I have chosen to stay elsewhere this year.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:29 PM   #24

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Tandem tow dolly is a trailer...tag required or not. Lesson learned.
In our home state of Tennessee, tags/license plates are not required on trailers either.... Open or enclosed, no matter the axles. I've always considered ANY item with any amount of wheels that is towed behind a primary vehicle to be a 'trailer' (except for "travel trailers" which are 'campers'.. ).
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Old 01-04-2020, 09:45 PM   #25

State: Indiana
THOR #3972
Agreed we flat tow to avoid any rules
Old 01-04-2020, 10:03 PM   #26

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
The gripe i got on this is the guy was there recently there twice before and the rules changed. Some courtesy should had been made. If you read the rules every time you visit the same campground then I say find another hobby. �� They apparently lost a report customer.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:16 PM   #27

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
THOR #6513
Ocean Lakes

Might want to go a little further south to Ocean Lakes Family Camp Ground at the end of Myrtle Beach right before Surfside beach. one RV, One Tent, one Vehicle with trailer or tow dolly allowed. Fantastic place.

https://www.oceanlakes.com/

They are totally squared away. Gated Community with its own security force. No nonsense allowed. Only motorized vehicles allowed are licensed motor vehicles. Golf carts have to be electric. If you have a motorcycle you have to walk it to your site or park it in the special Motor Cycle parking area inside the campground.

As per their website: "Ocean Lakes features 859 campsites and 2,569 annual lease sites on 310 oceanfront acres with nearly one mile of beachfront, five bathhouses, and more than 500 employees in the height of the camping season. It is the largest campground on the east coast and one of the largest in the United States."
Old 01-04-2020, 11:04 PM   #28

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #13816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
If the rules changed since their two recent visits then there should be some discretion. If anyone says they read the rules every-time they ‘rebook’ a reservation them i call BS. But yes, rules are rules.
I’m big on following rules, but the one time we stayed at a park for the second time I didn’t check to see if the rules had changed. As a business owner, I would think you would want to keep a repeat customer happy. The manager could have made some concessions. I believe the manager should have contacted the owner when they were asked to contact him. The owner could have probably made a decision that would have kept a customer, and still made things right for the RV Park. I know there have been many times through the years that my husband and I were able solve a problem with a customer.

Just my 2 cents that is probably worth only 1 cent.

Pam
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Old 01-04-2020, 11:23 PM   #29

Model: Tuscany XTE 40EX
State: Virginia
THOR #1496
I can see where a campground with small sites would want trailers in a dedicated area but a tow dolly falls in a separate category. Makes it appear the campground is nickle nickel dimeing you to death. What I dont agree with is the manager refusing to contact the owner when asked - especially when a customer relationship already exists. That's the biggest problem with these larger campgrounds...its all about the money and not about the customer
Old 01-04-2020, 11:39 PM   #30

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Here's the customer relations summed up:

'hey! How come he gets to!'
He's a one time exception.
'how come I wasn't a one time exception!'
He asked.
'I asked!'
He didn't read the rules.
'it's because I'm (insert victimhood here)!'

Now 300 people who didn't get the exception are mad and the rv park made the news.

Life is easy.
I try to think it through to the real end, not the end needed to spotlight my bit part.
While I may be prominent is some particular paragraph, the whole story is seldom about me.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:13 AM   #31

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
The concession didnt need to be to let him keep the dolly on site for everyone to see. Not charging him to stow it the first time would had been reasonable.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:22 AM   #32

Model: Vegas 25.3
THOR #4796
[QUOTE=
As per their website: "Ocean Lakes features 859 campsites and 2,569 annual lease sites on 310 oceanfront acres with nearly one mile of beachfront, five bathhouses, and more than 500 employees in the height of the camping season. It is the largest campground on the east coast and one of the largest in the United States."[/QUOTE]

Also, per their website:
"Today, Ocean Lakes features 859 campsites and 2,569 annual lease sites on 310 oceanfront acres with nearly one mile of beachfront, five bathhouses, and more than 500 employees in the height of the camping season. It is the largest campground on the east coast and one of the largest in the United States."... "On an average seasonal day (when the kids are out of school) Ocean Lakes has 25,000 – 35,000 guests enjoying the countless amenities that have made it a local favorite and a national vacation destination."

Whaaaa...?? 35 THOUSAND GUESTS DAILY and only 5 bathhouses?? Freaking popular place averaging 7.5 guests per site! That is the population of the town I grew up in! Can this be?
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Old 01-05-2020, 03:34 PM   #33

Model: Windsport 32R
State: South Carolina
THOR #17209
Campground Rules

We have found that here in South Carolina, the absolute best places to go are the State Parks. They are kept in extremely good condition and we have never had any unpleasant surprises. Only a few have full hookups but some are adding sections with full hookups and some are renovating the complete camping areas. The prices are most often much cheaper than the private campgrounds as well. Huntington and Myrtle Beach are the exceptions. They have higher prices because of the popularity. If you are from upstate, try Lake Wateree, Lake Greenwood, Calhoun Falls, Devils Fork. Downstate you can try Santee State Park.
Just Sayin'
Old 01-05-2020, 07:40 PM   #34

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Also, per their website:
"Today, Ocean Lakes features 859 campsites and 2,569 annual lease sites on 310 oceanfront acres with nearly one mile of beachfront, five bathhouses, and more than 500 employees in the height of the camping season. It is the largest campground on the east coast and one of the largest in the United States."... "On an average seasonal day (when the kids are out of school) Ocean Lakes has 25,000 – 35,000 guests enjoying the countless amenities that have made it a local favorite and a national vacation destination."

Whaaaa...?? 35 THOUSAND GUESTS DAILY and only 5 bathhouses?? Freaking popular place averaging 7.5 guests per site! That is the population of the town I grew up in! Can this be?

The 5 bathhouses are in the camping area and Huuuuge not to mention spotless. The 2,569 annual lease sights are homes with their own facilities. The store, grill, laundry, water sports, arcade, RV sales, golf car rental/sales, nature center, auditorium, and main office all have bathrooms as well but no showers. Every entrance to the beach (there are 20) has showers. most all RVs have their own facilities of course. Never had to wait for a toilet or shower in any of the campground bath houses.

Ocean Lakes is wanting for nothing. Each site has 20/30/50 service, water, sewer, WI-FI, Landline telephone, and cable TV with 62 channels. About 75 % of the sights have concrete pads. All sights are pull thru.

Ocean Lakes has been in business for 48 years and is the largest campground on the east coast. If you ever visit Myrtle Beach go by, get a visitors gate pass and check it out. Ive been RVing for 45 years now and this is the nicest , best run campground Ive stayed in.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:15 PM   #35

Model: Aria 3601
State: North Carolina
THOR #5972
I never expected the response that my post would have. I am a boomer and not a millennial, there is no arrogance on my part. There are a few remarks that are unwarranted such as the remarks from EA37TS (Dave, retired Army). We are all adults and such language is not necessary. I appreciate the recommendations on campgrounds and we already have reservations at Ocean Lakes Campground. This is truly a top notch campground and we have stayed there many times. They do stay booked up and appreciate anyone who stays at their campground. We really liked NM Beach RV Resort because of the close proximity to my brother's condo in Little River, SC. He and my sister-in-law are okay with coming a little farther south when we are camping. I plan on taking the recommendation and trying some of the State Parks as we have never tried any of them before. Everyone have fun while camping and stay safe on the road.....
Old 01-06-2020, 01:33 AM   #36
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I stand by my comments. No derogatory language was used in my post. If you don’t like my opinion too bad.

BTW , the language used was English.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:28 PM   #37

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
If you own the campground...do what you wish...make your own rules...break your own rules...who cares. If you don't own the campground...do what they wish...or leave.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
Old 01-06-2020, 02:00 PM   #38

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
“rules are meant to be broken”

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
If you own the campground...do what you wish...make your own rules...break your own rules...who cares. If you don't own the campground...do what they wish...or leave.
I never read the rules, If I am doing something wrong someone will tell me.

That my new principles for retirement and its been working great the past 4 years.

Besides nobody else in the campgrounds are following the rules!!
Old 01-06-2020, 02:37 PM   #39
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post
I never read the rules, If I am doing something wrong someone will tell me.

That my new principles for retirement and its been working great the past 4 years.

Besides nobody else in the campgrounds are following the rules!!
How would you know that nobody else is following the rules since you never read the rules? You don't know what the rules are to make that determination.

Your own words not mine.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
Old 01-06-2020, 02:51 PM   #40

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
Closed Thread