Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2019, 04:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.2
State: Florida
THOR #11144
Northeast trip planned

We will be heading out to visit the Northeast and want to spend several days checking out Acadia National Park. We are sort of new at RVing and would appreciate some of you experienced people's thoughts. I see there are several different RV parks around there and was looking for feedback and see what others would recommend. We have a 29" with toad.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:40 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Lake George, NY...
Give the Lake George RV park a try!
It's a pretty area, with a whole lot of really neat History.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:07 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
When we visited Acadia we stayed at the Narrows Too campground. Its off the island but really close (and not too much traffic at the nearby airport to be bothersome).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:07 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
I pulled a 42.6’ fifth wheel all over N. E. USA a couple years ago. I always called ahead a day or two when we were ready to move. I always found a campsite. Some were pretty tight. Enjoy your trip!
Old 03-25-2019, 06:18 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
If you think you might get the urge to go into Canada just make sure you have a valid US passport for each member of your party.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:22 AM   #6

State: New Hampshire
THOR #15229
We stayed at Mt Desert Narrows on bar harbor last year very nice place they have some nice back in sites on the ocean.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
When we went in August a couple of years ago, Narrows Too was booked out, so we stayed at Timberline in Trenton. Like most of our trips, this was a couple days stop and not a destination, and we prefer to stay outside the parks. That works well for us, since we tow a car.
When traveling outside of the 3 summer months, we rarely make reservations. During those 3 months, we have found that planning ahead and making reservations pays off, especially in popular tourist areas.
It's a beautiful area. The park was packed in August, and they closed off the road to Cadillac Mtn during the middle of the day because of the crowds.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:35 PM   #8

Model: Vegas
State: California
THOR #2485
There are a lot of low bridges and height restrictions for a lot of roads in New England (for instance, the Merritt Parkway through Connecticut). Make sure you use an RV specific GPS unit that allows inputs for the height of your rig.

I'd also avoid taking I95 through Delaware since they charge an outrageous toll fee for the short stretch of road that goes through their state
Old 05-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #9

THOR #15229
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmshih View Post
There are a lot of low bridges and height restrictions for a lot of roads in New England (for instance, the Merritt Parkway through Connecticut). Make sure you use an RV specific GPS unit that allows inputs for the height of your rig.

I'd also avoid taking I95 through Delaware since they charge an outrageous toll fee for the short stretch of road that goes through their state
I don’t think TVs are allowed on the parkways in Connecticut I also agree stay away from 95 from south of DC to as far north as Boston
Old 05-12-2019, 12:31 PM   #10

THOR #15229
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmshih View Post

I don’t think rv’s are allowed on the parkways in Connecticut I also agree stay away from 95 from south of DC to as far north as Boston
Old 05-12-2019, 02:21 PM   #11

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I travel from Florida to Nova Scotia twice a year and I second staying off I95. From Florida, I head up I75 to Macon Ga and then north “overland” to the Greenville or Ashville area and the Smokies. I then either go up the east side or the west side of the Mountains on US 29 or I81. From there you can catch i78 to I287 and cross the Hudson at the Tappan zee Bridge or head a little further north and take I84 to Hartford and bypass I95 in CT. Both those routes have no tolls except the $16 toll over the Hudson River (free coming home). Delaware, NJ and NY rape you in tolls and the drive is no fun. Inland is beautiful and there are great places to camp in National and State parks and National Forest sites.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:24 PM   #12

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Heading to Acardia, Fundy, then Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia beginning of June. Just had a little test weekend and are ready to go. We booked early and are staying at each of the National Parks. US & Canada. Get annual passes and save some dough. The US pass is lifetime for seniors.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:02 AM   #13

Model: Vegas
State: Delaware
THOR #15459
I live in Delaware and never knew any different. Didn’t realize until I started to travel, myself, that everyone doesn’t have expensive tolls like this. It is how our stare gets around having sales tax. So if you do pass through Delaware, and need any goods, it is tax free shopping!
Old 05-31-2019, 12:16 PM   #14

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
Heading to Acardia, Fundy, then Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia beginning of June. Just had a little test weekend and are ready to go. We booked early and are staying at each of the National Parks. US & Canada. Get annual passes and save some dough. The US pass is lifetime for seniors.
Make sure you make your reservations for Arcadia early, as it fills up quickly. Also there are some low bridges in the park that you have to be careful of. If you don’t have an RV GPS, get the Allstays app and it has all the low bridges on it and you can set the height for your RV. If you like dry camping (like Arcadia NP and most NPs) check out the National Forrest sites - they are all half price for old people (all on Allstays). Nice Provincial Parks in Canada but they are not cheap and also fill up in the summer.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:25 PM   #15

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
Right over the border in New Brunswick is the little sea side village of St Andrews. Beautiful campground on the edge of town overlooking the bay a ten minute walk to town. Nice place to stay for a day or two or to leave from to hit the ferry at St John for Digby, Nova Scotia.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:39 AM   #16

THOR #12830
Off we go tomorrow. Acadia here we come.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #17

Model: RW28
THOR #12200
Definitely heed the warnings of I-95 and low bridges. We made the trip from Florida to Maine last summer in our class C towing our CR-V, we spent a good chunk on tolls. The one that stands out is the George Washington Bridge in NY, $84 to cross. It's funny now but not then. When we pulled up, the toll collector said "$84.00 Please" my wife and I looked at each other and said, "Holy S..T", the toll collector laughed and said "Welcome to New York, you should frame the receipt" Needless to say on our return trip we crossed the Tappen Zee Bridge instead. Also DO NOT trust Google Maps, get a RV GPS. Google has gotten us into trouble a couple of times, in Connecticut (2018), and in California (2017). Putting us in places we DO NOT need to be when driving a MH. We now have a Rand McNally Tablet 70.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:59 PM   #18

THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl5142 View Post
Definitely heed the warnings of I-95 and low bridges. We made the trip from Florida to Maine last summer in our class C towing our CR-V, we spent a good chunk on tolls. The one that stands out is the George Washington Bridge in NY, $84 to cross. It's funny now but not then. When we pulled up, the toll collector said "$84.00 Please" my wife and I looked at each other and said, "Holy S..T", the toll collector laughed and said "Welcome to New York, you should frame the receipt" Needless to say on our return trip we crossed the Tappen Zee Bridge instead. Also DO NOT trust Google Maps, get a RV GPS. Google has gotten us into trouble a couple of times, in Connecticut (2018), and in California (2017). Putting us in places we DO NOT need to be when driving a MH. We now have a Rand McNally Tablet 70.
Skip NJ all together. Go up through PA into NY cross over the Newburgh bridge. Minimal tolls, steady speed. So much nicer. CoPilot AP for your phone has been working nicely for us. Used to The Keys and up to Prince Edward. No issue.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:00 PM   #19

THOR #12830
http://rvlife.com/gps-systems/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email