Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2020, 09:46 PM   #21

State: Arkansas
THOR #19565
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Just want to drop a comment about northern Michigan. If you've never been, try it. It may not be be for everybody but it was for me. The upper and lower peninsulas meet best in St. Ignace or Mackinaw City. I'd recommend the Carp River State Park north of there. It's a nice drive to the harbor to catch the ferry out to the island. Cut your path and enjoy.

We are heading that way in august!

Old 07-31-2020, 10:12 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojanlora View Post
We are heading that way in august!
Dude/Dudette, you'll be in prime time and your eyes will literally pop out of your head. If you'd like some suggestions, come back. Otherwise, have a wonderful time. It'll be hard not to.

Safe Travels.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:18 PM   #23

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
One of our first RV trips was up the Wisconsin side of the lake into the UP. All the way to the end then back down on the east side of the lake. It was a fabulous trip and possibly the single biggest influence in our decision to trade in our 8 month old Freedom Elite on a class A and get more serious about traveling. 39 states in 4 years - and counting! Enjoy your travels.
Sounds like we might have made the same run, just in the opposite direction? I rode the coastlines all the way. This last leg was from Superior, WI on my way north. Found a place 8-10mi from the Canadian border. Border's closed so you can't go any further north unless you're in the Michigan horn.

I can see where that drive/stay might have inspired your purchase. Have a great time and travel safe.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:23 PM   #24

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
There is definately a "bug season" up there. If you're there during the two weeks its pretty intense, if not you are good. (I believe the bad time is mid to late August.)

When we have made the trip to the UP its always been in June or July and the bugs haven't been that bad.

Just love it UP there (2nd best place in the state is just "below" in the Northern lower penninsula). There is a reason I-75 North out of Detroit is always backed up on Friday's and I-75 South is backed up on Sunday's during the summer LOL (even in Winter with skiing its still pretty busy).
Northern LP. You mean like this? What a nice experience this was.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MichiganThumb.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	25334  
Old 07-31-2020, 11:23 PM   #25

State: Arkansas
THOR #19565
Quote:
Dude/Dudette, you'll be in prime time and your eyes will literally pop out of your head. If you'd like some suggestions, come back. Otherwise, have a wonderful time. It'll be hard not to.

Safe Travels.

Yeah I’ve been there during this time. It will be the wife’s first time and she has no idea what she is in for.

Any recommendation on Mackinac? I figure we will take ferry from St Ignace.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:40 AM   #26

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojanlora View Post
Yeah I’ve been there during this time. It will be the wife’s first time and she has no idea what she is in for.

Any recommendation on Mackinac? I figure we will take ferry from St Ignace.
Maybe some? The Locals call it Mackinaw Island, after the lower peninsula. Not sure why because all the 'tourist' information refers to Mackinac. Neither here nor there.

I used Sheppler's Ferry to get to the Island ($29 a pop). Stayed at Carp River Campground to the north ($25 a pop). Nice place. Squitos were a little intense, but it goes worth the territory and worth the stop. Stayed 4 days. Couldn't have hated it that much.

When I went to the island, the north shores were closed off due to wash outs. You go four miles north on the west and about a mile to the south. I rented a bike. I did the whole limited run in under an hour, That's not a statement about stamina, it's about conditions then. Call to see if things improved. Moving on.

Your approach does not matter in which direction you come from. It's all good. If you approach from the south, see if 25 is easy to pick and go through Bay City. The houses will make your jaw drop. After that see if you can get into Sebewaing County park. You'll be pleasantly surprised. Tell the manager I said Hello.

Once their, do the thumb. It's a very pleasant drive. Look for sign posts along the way and do your best to stop.

Stop in Port Austin and go to the public beach. Find the person made of metal containing padlocks and read some of them. The Contributors are varied.

I blew past Grindstone and was told I shouldn't have. Just something I may have missed out on.

After that, follow the Thumb to the lighthouse. You'll clearly see the signs from the road. Continue north and turn back east.; Pick up 142 back to the campground and you'll have had a pleasant day.

Each time you dive north and south from Mackinaw to St. Ignace, the bridge will cost you money. Just a heads up.

I have a 31L with two axles and a toad with two. Cost: 14 each way.

Safe Journeys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MichiganThumb.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	25337  
Old 08-01-2020, 01:41 AM   #27
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Maybe some? The Locals call it Mackinaw Island, after the lower peninsula. Not sure why because all the 'tourist' information refers to Mackinac. Neither here nor there.
Yes the island is spelled Mackinac but it is pronounced Mackinaw (and yes the city on the lower penninsula is spelled Mackinaw city). Just how we roll...

Other good campgrounds in the area:
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:05 AM   #28

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yes the island is spelled Mackinac but it is pronounced Mackinaw (and yes the city on the lower penninsula is spelled Mackinaw city). Just how we roll...

Other good campgrounds in the area:
To his point, there is no right way here. Only yours. If your eyes wonder with bewilderment, you found your way.

Share some stuff back with us. Let us know how you made out and pass it forward.

Take care.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:50 AM   #29
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
To pile on this discussion, LOL check out #5 in this list:
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:31 PM   #30
DWM

THOR #19347
U.P. (and especially Keweenaw Penn., Mich Tech Univ., Ice sculpting festival in winter) one of the most beautiful parts of this country. Don't miss Marquette (Northern MI Univ.) and a drive to Copper Harbor.