Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2020, 03:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Oddball uses of a motorhome this winter and beyond

Bob Denman's interesting thread about camping in his driveway while his bathroom was remodeled got me thinking about other unusual things to do with my MH during this winter and beyond, with Covid restrictions in mind.

One that comes to mind is skiing. We live about two hours from the modest ski slopes of Butternut and Catamont in the Berkshires of SW Massachussetts. We drive up there in the morning after a good snowfall overnight, I ski for a 3-4 hours (for $20!!!!), we have lunch and drive home. My wife stays in the lodge and reads while I ski.

Well that isn't going to happen this winter even with mandated social distancing. So why not drive the MH up to the ski resort, park the MH, start the furnace and my wife can hang out there while I go skiing. Then afterwards we can pick something up, drive to a nice overlook, eat a late lunch and drive home.

We also often go for 2-3 days to a bigger ski resort- Killington, Stowe, etc. I am a bit leery of hotels but not so much. But we are not going to eat inside anywhere this winter. So how about bringing the MH, park overnight in the ski resort's parking lot and pick up dinner and eat in the MH. I believe that most ski resorts are fine with overnight MH camping, but I will check.

A couple of ideas for next summer: camp at Lime Rock and watch a sports car race and do the same for an outdoor concert at Tanglewood. I am aware of the raucous evening activities at the Lime Rock campground, but am open minded enough to deal with it ;-).

Anyone else have ideas for this winter and beyond?

David

Old 10-21-2020, 03:25 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Ski Trip for a day?

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1603293903
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunny 02.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	26808  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 03:26 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
In Michigan there are a few state parks that allow camping in the winter (a notable one is Taquamenon Falls in the upper peninsula--you have to have a reservation so that they have time to plow out the site before you arrive).

I've taken a bunch of kids to a concert in ours--just for the fun of it. We ended up parking in the "limo" lot; a lot closer than the cars do !

We've also used ours to tailgate our son's baseball games: For double headers we would feed the team in between the games.

We recently used it to drive out to a favorite restaurant (about 90 minutes away), ordered takeout and ate it in their parking lot. (An idea I got from a forum post here.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 03:51 PM   #4

Model: Omni RB34
State: Oregon
THOR #20891
We had the motorhome parked in the driveway to quarantine my daughter two weeks after returning from school overseas. With power & WiFi, she was quite happy.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:44 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
Six months after purchasing our MH, it became a true lifeboat when we had to evacuate for Hurricane Florence. Almost three weeks before we could get back home.

Expect it to also come in handy in winter for this region; as we're much more likely to have ice storms (and power outages) than snow.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:28 PM   #6

Model: ACE 32.3
State: Washington
THOR #20331
We live several hours from our favorite ski mountain. The last few years we have parked our RV at an RV park 30 minutes from skiing. We have left it there from the ski season and stayed in it weekends that we went skiing. It worked well and made it much easier to access skiing when roads were icy or snowy. Yes we had to winter proof the water line etc but once we figured it out we had no issues with anything freezing up on us.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:50 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
We try to drive our RV once a month during the winter months to keep the batteries up and excerize the Genny + Ford engine etc.

So on nice sunny days we will take a day trip to our local lake for a long lunch or to my favorite Mtn bike trails. The wife will read or watch TV while I ride my bike then we eat lunch and take in the surrounding.

But we have mild winters so its nice.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:39 PM   #8

Model: Palazzo 36.1
THOR #11607
We've been known to drive the motorhome 5 miles to Melton Hill Dam to watch the birds (watched a pair of Bald eagles raise a family there this summer) and animals while eating pizza. My wife always says it takes longer to get it out of the covered storage facility than to drive to the dam. My answer is well using all the systems is better than not using them. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:43 AM   #9

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
Yep same here TripleG,

Thats why we try to make it like 3 - 5 hour venture. Sometimes I will show up the day before and add a few # to each tire, check the oil etc. That way all I have to do is back it out of storage and load the bike and some food / drinks.

I see you have a Palazzo. I love Palazzo's!

I like the mid entry and I think the anything under like 38 foot would be a sweet spot for a DP for me.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:46 AM   #10

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Before I retired, I used to drive the old class c to work every now and then. I also used to take it shopping at the big box stores. We stayed in it for 8 months when our house was damaged by flooding. Now that we are both retired, we use our new coach a lot more often.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:50 AM   #11

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
Ours is in rhe back yard. Twice we've been hit with hurricanes and lost power for 3 days. The generator powered our fridge, cooked our food and charged our phones. Also guest room when all kids are home at once.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:42 PM   #12

Model: Chateau
State: Idaho
THOR #7541
How about using your motorhome as a quarantine location.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:43 PM   #13

Model: Chateau
State: Idaho
THOR #7541
Motorhome as Quarantine Home

Keep the covid in the motorhome and out of the house. Or vice versa.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:06 PM   #14

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
Thinking about buying a plow and offering my services to the city.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:28 PM   #15

Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
THOR #18675
We have used our Class C to take grandkids to college with all their stuff.
We routinely use it to travel to one day swim meets. We take our two dogs and they stay in the camper.
Tailgated to Independance Day party in neighboring town w/grandkids and their friends. We watched the fireworks from the cool interior of the camper.
JC
Old 10-29-2020, 12:01 AM   #16

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Bob Denman's interesting thread about camping in his driveway while his bathroom was remodeled got me thinking about other unusual things to do with my MH during this winter and beyond, with Covid restrictions in mind.

One that comes to mind is skiing. We live about two hours from the modest ski slopes of Butternut and Catamont in the Berkshires of SW Massachussetts. We drive up there in the morning after a good snowfall overnight, I ski for a 3-4 hours (for $20!!!!), we have lunch and drive home. My wife stays in the lodge and reads while I ski.

Well that isn't going to happen this winter even with mandated social distancing. So why not drive the MH up to the ski resort, park the MH, start the furnace and my wife can hang out there while I go skiing. Then afterwards we can pick something up, drive to a nice overlook, eat a late lunch and drive home.

We also often go for 2-3 days to a bigger ski resort- Killington, Stowe, etc. I am a bit leery of hotels but not so much. But we are not going to eat inside anywhere this winter. So how about bringing the MH, park overnight in the ski resort's parking lot and pick up dinner and eat in the MH. I believe that most ski resorts are fine with overnight MH camping, but I will check.

A couple of ideas for next summer: camp at Lime Rock and watch a sports car race and do the same for an outdoor concert at Tanglewood. I am aware of the raucous evening activities at the Lime Rock campground, but am open minded enough to deal with it ;-).

Anyone else have ideas for this winter and beyond?

David
Motorhome ice racing. The better half can make a sandwich and get you a beer while your racing and if you need the bathroom just switch places for awhile. If you run off the track just break out the bourbon and watch the rest of the race and go to bed. In the morning just cut a hole in the ice outside the door and catch lunch
Old 10-29-2020, 12:18 AM   #17

Model: ACE 27.2
State: California
THOR #14923
Maybe not many Parrotheads here. The preparty in the huge parking lot at Irvine Amphitheater was as good as the concert. People would set up their MH’s, etc., at noon for an 8P concert. There was an occasional boat, a jacuzzi, etc. Lots of rum and suds. Buffett music, but also Jerry Jeff (RIP), Little Feat, The Band, etc. Buffett would show a video of the parking lot highlights at intermission (always including some who peaked too soon...) Good times.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:31 PM   #18

Model: 24TF Compass / Mercedes
THOR #17969
We have used a motor home for many years as our hangout while selling / buying car parts at Carlisle or Hershey PA flea market.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:26 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
There are a few nice things about California,

There a lot of places to go if you don't mind open spaces and dry camping:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lucerne Valley.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	26948  
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:47 PM   #20

THOR #2636
Winter camping at ski slopes is popular in Europe. This is a campground in Livigno, Italy (Alps).

Also, Lime Rock has a family area, near the showers, that has quiet times. I race at Lime Rock a couple times a year and always use the motorhome even though it's only 30 miles from my house. Nothing like walking the track at dusk or the calm of pit lane in the morning.

mike h
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Livigno Camping.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	26958