Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2019, 09:00 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
THOR #14272
Off to Nova Scotia, inputs needed!

Hey guys,

Hope you can offer your advice.

Planning for a vacation in summer to Nova Scotia from NY with my family. We want to travel by our RV. I bought my Tundra last year at a great deal and I知 yet to mark a journey on it. I purchased camper tie downs and some camping supplies from RV Parts for my Northstar 650 camper. I and my wife love trekking, so we bought trekking gear too along with some kitchen supplies and attractive barbecue cooktop. We are planning for a 12-day trip. Since we both know how to drive, we hope to make the trip to Nova Scotia in a day. Are there any formalities we require to fulfill before we begin our trip?
I have looked for outdoor activities in Nova Scotia, and some attractive tour packages from their website. But we love to explore the unexplored attractions of a place. So if you guys have been there, could you suggest me places which are not known to many but safe to go to? And places need to be RV friendly too if possible.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:39 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Can't help you much with NS hidden gems or trails. We spent more of our time on Prince Edward Island, but can tell you that Peggy's Cove is a special place in NS. The road to there would be tight for a motor home, we were glad we had our toad.

The Bay of Fundy is awesome with the enormous tide fluctuation. We saw that from the NB side at Hopewell Rocks.

Children under 16 only need proof of US citizenship. You'll need to check the rules on passports. And check the rules for pets, too. Happy trails!
Old 01-29-2019, 02:04 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Check out all the holes on Oak Island.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:51 PM   #4

Model: Gemini TK
State: Nova Scotia
THOR #14078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel_C View Post
Hey guys,

Planning for a vacation in summer to Nova Scotia from NY with my family. We want to travel by our RV. I bought my Tundra last year at a great deal and I知 yet to mark a journey on it. I purchased camper tie downs and some camping supplies from RV Parts for my Northstar 650 camper. I and my wife love trekking, so we bought trekking gear too along with some kitchen supplies and attractive barbecue cooktop. We are planning for a 12-day trip. Since we both know how to drive, we hope to make the trip to Nova Scotia in a day. Are there any formalities we require to fulfill before we begin our trip?
I have looked for outdoor activities in Nova Scotia, and some attractive tour packages from their website. But we love to explore the unexplored attractions of a place. So if you guys have been there, could you suggest me places which are not known to many but safe to go to? And places need to be RV friendly too if possible.
A copy of the Doers and Dreamers Guide from Novascotia.com will give you lots of information. The Cabot Trail provides lots of opportunities for trekking. The South Shore, otherwise known as the Lighthouse Route skirts the ocean and is a favourite of mine. If you have any specific questions, don’t hesitate to ask. Although I am a “snowbird” currently in Florida, I will be back home in Nova Scotia mid April.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
There's a ferry that will take your RV over also. Sounds like a blast!!

https://www.ferries.ca/nb-ns-ferry/
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:49 PM   #6

Model: Quantum WS31
State: New York
THOR #14399
Quote:
Hey guys,

Sounds like a nice trip. Make sure while in Halifax you visit the maritime museum and visit the Titanic gravesite. From there, visit Peggy's Cove, Lunenberg (If your lucky, the Blue Nose schooner will be in port) which has a nice museum on the waterfront and includes some old fishing vessels, Woodstock (Hank Snow Museum - very nice in an old train station) and spend some time in Yarmouth before heading back to St. John. The west coast of NS is very pretty, try stopping at Port Maitland and check out the beautiful sandy beaches and nice park, Enjoy you trip.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:58 PM   #7

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
We drove to NS 20+ years ago. My recommendation would be do do as we did and take the ferry over to Yarmouth from Portland, ME. From Yarmouth, we headed SE towards Halifax, then worked our way east and up towards Bay of Fundy, then worked our way west toward and thru New Brunswick and back in to the USA from there. We didn't make it up to the Cape Breton area on that trip but hoping to include that area, to include Sydney and especially the Cape Breton Nat'l Park (have heard of great campgrounds there) in our next trip up there, around August of this year. To see and really enjoy all NS has to offer, we're planning to spend a month to 6 weeks there on our next trip. Enjoy!

PS: Canadian boarder and customs authorities take a dim view of firearms and other 'contraband', so be sure you don't have any on board your RV, which is subject to a thorough search, if they so desire. So, don't have anything on board that might be deemed 'contraband'. I don't have any personal experience with this issue but have hard horror stories from some who have.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:56 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
There's a ferry that will take your RV over also. Sounds like a blast!!

https://www.ferries.ca/nb-ns-ferry/

Ditto! By all means take the Ferry from Maine. Fast and Fun!
Old 02-10-2019, 10:58 PM   #9

THOR #14399
The ferry didn't work for us. We have a summer house in Lubec, ME. We drove up to PEI (6 hrs), cruised there, took the ferry back to the mainland, cruised Cape Breton & the Cabot trail, then headed south along the coast to Halifax for a few days before heading east to Lunenburg, Yarmouth and Port Maitland. The drive back to the US Isn't bad. There is a very scenic drive along the coast once you depart St. John that goes through chance harbor, dipper harbor and eventually to St. Andrews, a very pretty town. From there the border at St. Stephens/Calais is a short drive and you're back in country. Enjoy your trip.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:06 AM   #10

THOR #14399
Quote:
Hey guys,

Not sure the ferry to Yarmouth runs anymore, either from Boston or Portland. I know Bar Harbor and the Province of Nova Scotia are negotiating starting the ferry again, not sure it will happen this year.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:09 AM   #11

THOR #14399
Quote:
Hey guys,

Not sure the ferry runs anymore, definitely not from Boston or Portland. Bar Harbor and the Nova Scotia province are negotiating starting the ferry service again from Bar Harbor but I don't think you'll see it this year. Enjoy your trip!
Old 02-22-2019, 02:45 AM   #12

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Enjoy some of the best seafood in the world - the roadside stands were amazing! Also bring a warn jacket, it still gets cold at night depending on what part of "summer" you travel in.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:08 PM   #13

THOR #14399
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertinLubec View Post
Not sure the ferry runs anymore, definitely not from Boston or Portland. Bar Harbor and the Nova Scotia province are negotiating starting the ferry service again from Bar Harbor but I don't think you'll see it this year. Enjoy your trip!
Just received a note from Bay Ferries that the ferry will resume service from Bar Harbor - Yarmouth in June 2019. Might help with your travel plans. I didn't on the fares and frequency of trips but it is on their website.