Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2020, 11:13 PM   #41
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I offer a solution...
Fill the fuel tank, and all three holding tanks with Helium...

Old 10-20-2020, 11:39 PM   #42
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Scheeeezce!!!

I guess yall don't just make this stuff up My tent life really was simpler

Since I am now a Highway Weigh Fugitive (Per the State of Oklahoma) I guess how much I really weigh doesn't matter until I get caught

So is the 2000lbs OCCC considered very low for my 30' Gas Coach?

As we speak, I am in the process of removing everything from the coach. I don't see any way possible I come close to loading 2,000lbs with cargo or people.
2000 is pretty good for a gas class A. My Challenger was around 1800.

The other benefit to going across a scale is to determine the weight per axle and knowing if you should move stuff from front to rear or vice versa.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:48 AM   #43

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I have about 250,000 road miles since 1995 and have been scaled several times in various RVs. A couple times I got the stop and go green light, but on at least 2 stops I had them do a walk around, and at one stop they came up to the driver window and asked several questions. Nebraska seems to have stopped us the most often.

Yes it seems pretty rare that RVs are routed through the scales, but when I get the light that tells me to stop, you'll find me rolling through the scale.

We actually seen a motorhome emptying their storage compartments once and they looked pretty peeved. I think that was in Arizona.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:40 PM   #44

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
I have about 250,000 road miles since 1995 and have been scaled several times in various RVs. A couple times I got the stop and go green light, but on at least 2 stops I had them do a walk around, and at one stop they came up to the driver window and asked several questions. Nebraska seems to have stopped us the most often.

Yes it seems pretty rare that RVs are routed through the scales, but when I get the light that tells me to stop, you'll find me rolling through the scale.

We actually seen a motorhome emptying their storage compartments once and they looked pretty peeved. I think that was in Arizona.
Wow that is about $56k of gas

If I see again I may be inclined to stop just to see what happens, but I was not going to stop that early in the morning while still dark with my wife in daughter when I didn't even know if it applied to us? Actually I still don't?

Soon, I will have all my tanks empty (except for gas and propane which will both be full) for winterization. I may try to find a place to get a weigh, then I will load up again an get another. I doubt I could hit 18,000 if tried. If I was over, I would dump fresh water tank first and then gray water second. On this trip my black tank was empty and gray water was at 1/3 anyway. Fresh water was full though.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:05 PM   #45

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I have driven from California to Florida thru Texas, Alabama, Virginia, Georgia, Kentucky and back thru Arizona Nevada as well as Montana, Idaho and Utah and have never gone thru a weigh station. I have never been stopped for passing one either.

Paul
Old 10-21-2020, 07:20 PM   #46
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I think that "D" is just concerned about getting the wrong reputation...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:58 PM   #47

THOR #13058
I just could NOT take the premise of being an Outlaw like Bob's previous RV

So I called the Oklahoma Corporation Commission, Motor Carrier Enforcement and ultimately the Motor Carrier Requirements

This is what I learned from Agent via phone so nothing in writing but I am satisfied.

1. The requirement to stop is only intended for Commercial in Oklahoma
2. If you are driving a RV for pay (transporting) you need to stop
3. If your daughter pays you $50 to take her someplace in your RV you need to stop ( agent laugh and said just don't tell them that if it were true
4. Their rules do not apply for the Turnpikes in Oklahoma.
5. Agent says it is very common for false signals to trigger the lights to take pictures, i.e. false weights etc. He says he has had the lights trigger him in his truck.
6. He says if drivers don't stop the enforcement officer will run you down, but they would never run down a RV.
7. They have the pictures for proof of the big trucks.
8. They would never mail a fine to the license plate holder, he emphasized they will run you down. ( I think they live to run a big truck down )

So this means I did NOT break the law in Oklahoma, and I am NOT a Fugitive, so Bob's song does NOT apply to me. D Kold man is Squeaky Clean

https://images.app.goo.gl/yBNXjAwdit4eahoM8
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	free.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	26815  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-21-2020, 10:08 PM   #48
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You are still as law abiding as ever!
Old 10-24-2020, 06:43 PM   #49

State: Maryland
THOR #5594
Maybe if we all started going into the weight stations, it wouldn’t be long before they clarified “no RVs.”
Old 10-24-2020, 07:32 PM   #50

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Early this morning about 6:30AM I had just crossed the border from Arkansas to Oklahoma. I have driven this route for years but first time in our RV.

Does Oklahoma require RVs to Check in Weigh Stations?

I ask because that little detector somehow came on when we passed by and it said "All Trucks must check in" I am sure it flashed to take a picture like at a toll? I figured I was NOT a truck; and then another light blinking was saying to exit? I had wife and kids in the RV sleep and I did not know what to do; so I kept driving to see if Police were going to pull us over? I felt like a fugitive all the way through Oklahoma, I was NOT about to stop until I safely crossed the border into Texas (where it is safe across the Red River)

Am I a fugitive or in trouble in Oklahoma? I have 29 ft Class A RV, I was NOT towing anything nor was I close to speeding. Until this morning I considered myself a law abiding citizen?
Those signs are triggered by size/height and weight. My pickup has a lift kit with huge tires. It will trigger them to come in. Just keep going.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:49 PM   #51

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickh59@verizon.net View Post
Maybe if we all started going into the weight stations, it wouldn’t be long before they clarified “no RVs.”
That's a thought? Is it free? May be a good way to just get confirmation of your weights when you are out and about?
Old 10-24-2020, 07:51 PM   #52

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Those signs are triggered by size/height and weight. My pickup has a lift kit with huge tires. It will trigger them to come in. Just keep going.
To be honest, I was kind of fascinated because I had never seen those things light up before. Been passing them for years. Surprised I have never been behind a big rig that was being flashed at night to pull in to just see it?
Old 10-24-2020, 08:28 PM   #53
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I want to see the pictures of Gritz's truck!

Parked next to his "Nugent Wrangler"
Old 10-24-2020, 09:01 PM   #54

Model: Regency Ultra Brougham IB
State: Arizona
THOR #13468
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
There are some states that require any vehicle, single or towing, over 10,000 lbs to stop at weight stations. Yes, that includes RVs.
I would think that would include pretty much all RVs, even many Class Bs, and certainly our Winnebago Fuse. Do you have a list of which states? Or can you point us to such an online list?
Old 10-24-2020, 09:43 PM   #55

State: Louisiana
THOR #19514
We went through Oklahoma last year on our way back down from the Dakotas. Honestly just wanted a different route than what we are used to. We stopped in Ponca City and stayed an extra day. Very nice museum to the indigenous peoples of the area (if you like museums), and the BEST donuts we ever had in our lives! (Who doesn't like donuts?) Seriously, it was a year ago and we still talk about them.
Oh - and we never had an issue with weigh stations. Happy trails!
Old 10-24-2020, 10:20 PM   #56

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
There are some states that require any vehicle, single or towing, over 10,000 lbs to stop at weight stations. Yes, that includes RVs.

In Oklahoma anyone can be stopped and weighted.
Where might that be?

None of the continental 49 I’ve driven through.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:48 PM   #57

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay View Post
We went through Oklahoma last year on our way back down from the Dakotas. Honestly just wanted a different route than what we are used to. We stopped in Ponca City and stayed an extra day. Very nice museum to the indigenous peoples of the area (if you like museums), and the BEST donuts we ever had in our lives! (Who doesn't like donuts?) Seriously, it was a year ago and we still talk about them.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay in Ponca City where we live. Come back again and I’ll buy the donuts.

We’ve driven our Thor A.C.E. out of and back into Oklahoma with the Mini in tow on interstates and secondary highways in all directions and have never attracted the attention of the OHPs manning the weigh stations. I will say some of the signage is a little misleading though; the weigh station entering Oklahoma from Kansas on I35 just says “Weigh Station” with an arrow pointing to the exit ramp. Kansas, on the other hand, is specific saying “Commercial Vehicles must Exit”.

We’ve driven through 25 states and across Canada, always towing, and have never been directed to a weigh station anywhere!
Old 10-24-2020, 10:52 PM   #58

State: North Carolina
THOR #7950
License requirements

I went to renew my no driver license in September. I was required get a class. B license because my coach weights over 26,000 lbs. I have a good friend that works the highway patrol for 24 years and he said hat was correct. The law in North Carolina states if you are driving a vehicle weighting over 26000 lbs you must have a class A or B drivers license. Has anyone else heard of this .
Old 10-24-2020, 10:58 PM   #59

Model: Regency Ultra Brougham IB
State: Arizona
THOR #13468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay View Post
How can you mention the best donuts you have ever had and not tell people where you got them? Hungry people want to know!!
Old 10-24-2020, 11:16 PM   #60
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
. I Agree...
Demerits can be given for this type of serious transgression.