Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2020, 06:08 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Oklahoma: Do they require RVs to Check in Weigh Stations?

Early this morning about 6:30AM I had just crossed the border from Arkansas to Oklahoma. I have driven this route for years but first time in our RV.

Does Oklahoma require RVs to Check in Weigh Stations?

I ask because that little detector somehow came on when we passed by and it said "All Trucks must check in" I am sure it flashed to take a picture like at a toll? I figured I was NOT a truck; and then another light blinking was saying to exit? I had wife and kids in the RV sleep and I did not know what to do; so I kept driving to see if Police were going to pull us over? I felt like a fugitive all the way through Oklahoma, I was NOT about to stop until I safely crossed the border into Texas (where it is safe across the Red River)

Am I a fugitive or in trouble in Oklahoma? I have 29 ft Class A RV, I was NOT towing anything nor was I close to speeding. Until this morning I considered myself a law abiding citizen?

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:24 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You're still law abiding...
They're looking for commercial vehicles.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:39 PM   #3

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
You're still law abiding...
They're looking for commercial vehicles.
I would like to think so, but having the Oklahoma State Patrol staring you down makes me nervous. If I get extradited back to Oklahoma; I already got a plan...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prison break.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	26753  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-18-2020, 06:44 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
"Just because you're paranoid: it doesn't mean that they're not out to get you."
Old 10-18-2020, 07:13 PM   #5

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
The only time that you "MAY" be required to enter a"Commercial" weigh station/Port of Entry would be if there is a sign stating such [All RV's / vehicles towing over xxxxxx lbs Must enter ....
Reason the reader board flashed at you was that your axle weight/wheelbase length or overall height (left your antenna up?) tripped the weight sensors embedded in the highway or height sensors in overhead pole prior to the scale/POE entrance.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:35 PM   #6

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
The only time that you "MAY" be required to enter a"Commercial" weigh station/Port of Entry would be if there is a sign stating such [All RV's / vehicles towing over xxxxxx lbs Must enter ....
Reason the reader board flashed at you was that your axle weight/wheelbase length or overall height (left your antenna up?) tripped the weight sensors embedded in the highway or height sensors in overhead pole prior to the scale/POE entrance.
I think I am 12' 2" or so.

I was NOT towing anything, but this gives me a clue. I had just passed a duallie like truck that was towing a 5th wheel. Maybe the signals or lights were for him; and because I was in front, I got flashed (saw the flash anyway) and the bright LED lights saying to get weighed? I would have had a split second to decide to exist if it was in fact for me.

It clearly said "Trucks" Did NOT say anything about RVs, Commercial or Towing.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:29 PM   #7

Model: SOB
THOR #3916
@ dkoldman,,
Those of us that have the larger coaches have just gotten used to ignoring those flashing signs..

I have only been chased down once in our coach... Scale man thought I was a "for hire" bus..
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:12 PM   #8

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
RVs are not required or expected to stop at weigh stations in Oklahoma, only commercial vehicles.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:43 PM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrirn View Post
RVs are not required or expected to stop at weigh stations in Oklahoma, only commercial vehicles.
When you driving along at 6:30am in the morning and have never seen those weigh station lights flag you; and then they flash a picture of front and back of RV it gives you the spooks. I didn't know and then they always say ignorance of the law is no excuse, but in my case my it was a fact. I was just excited to be crossing the border into Oklahoma, and in my mind; I was on the lamb turned fugitive

I think it would simplify if they had signs 1000 ft in front of the cameras to say the Weigh Station only applies to Commercial Trucks, all other vehicles and RVs should ignore if lights flag you to exit. I have driven that RV in 10 states thus far and that is first time I got flagged to weigh in.

Thanks for verifying I am good to go.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:49 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
D,
If they show up for you: don't worry...
I know how to bake a mean cake with a hidden file!
Old 10-19-2020, 01:30 AM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
There are some states that require any vehicle, single or towing, over 10,000 lbs to stop at weight stations. Yes, that includes RVs.

In Oklahoma anyone can be stopped and weighted.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:44 AM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Do I hear Police sirens?
Old 10-19-2020, 02:06 AM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
There are some states that require any vehicle, single or towing, over 10,000 lbs to stop at weight stations. Yes, that includes RVs.

So you telling me, I might be a fugitive to the State of Oklahoma? They got pictures and I have Texas tags; so they may show me no mercy. I think I will keep the RV out of Oklahoma for a little while until the fuzz back off
Old 10-19-2020, 02:10 AM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Do I hear Police sirens?
Might be from the sounds of things, but they never gonna catch me...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fugitive.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	26761  
Old 10-19-2020, 02:39 AM   #15

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:

Please understand, there is no sarcasm in this. It's pointed at them, not you.

What would be the purpose of having a RV pull in? Do they have dumpsters where they ask you to get rid of some weight? Or do they just fine you for exceeding the weight to collect revenue? I'll take my chances on the other side of that equation and keep going. It's a personal choice and I'll face the consequences.

If you know of these places, please let me know a resource I can reference so I can avoid them like the plague.

Thanks for sharing what you did so far.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:38 AM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Might be from the sounds of things, but they never gonna catch me...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:43 PM   #17
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Please understand, there is no sarcasm in this. It's pointed at them, not you.

What would be the purpose of having a RV pull in? Do they have dumpsters where they ask you to get rid of some weight? Or do they just fine you for exceeding the weight to collect revenue? I'll take my chances on the other side of that equation and keep going. It's a personal choice and I'll face the consequences.

If you know of these places, please let me know a resource I can reference so I can avoid them like the plague.

Thanks for sharing what you did so far.
Here you go

https://camperreport.com/do-rvs-have...eigh-stations/
Old 10-19-2020, 12:45 PM   #18

THOR #13058
Hard to get any information without having to call them. Under the circumstance; I tend to agree with the Breeze

Better to be a wanted fugitive and take my chances. However, I did find the below on a search. So officially; I have not run from the Oklahoma State Police!!! I do feel better; although I still may have broken some Oklahoma law that I did not know. Like I said I have passed that Ark / Oklahoma border 100 times and never gave that weigh station a thought until that sudden surprise flash of the light. I don't think I could have safely made that exit anyway?

Oklahoma weigh stations are NOT run by Oklahoma DOT or the state police. They used to be run by the tax commission- which may have be more appropriate than any other government agency. They are currently run by the Oklahoma Corporation Commission. Officers at the weigh stations are able to perform both paperwork and vehicle inspections. If you are called into an Oklahoma weigh station, be prepared to provide a copy of your lease contract if you are leased to a carrier in addition to your IRP registration, IFTA etc. The Oklahoma Department of Public Safety is in charge of roadside truck inspections and they rarely set up at the actual weigh stations. They tend to perform inspections on the shoulder or set up in a check station/pullout area.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:51 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
As I said:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1603111875
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2a47bb0cccf71e49df21a42eff80a883.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	26768  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:58 PM   #20

THOR #13058
Quote:
Wow, according this article, I may be fugitive in two states?

It says...
Arkansas, Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey and Wisconsin require single or in combination (towing a trailer or car) vehicles to stop at weigh stations if the GCWR is 10,000 lbs. or more.

So that basically means that every RV driving through Arkansas must weigh in? I have never seen 1 RV at a weigh station in Arkansas. Arkansas saw is tourist state hard to believe they would want let alone make every RV check in at their borders.

For Oklahoma...
An officer may require you to pull over at a weigh station or you may be directed by signage in Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Utah, West Virginia and Wyoming. These states do not have a specific stated weight limit for RVs and vehicles. They simply have random checks at their discretion.

I guess I will find out if I get a ticket in the mail? If so; I will stay out of Oklahoma in my RV. I could have gone through Texarkana (TX/AR), but was just trying some place new with the RV.

This kinds of spoils the fun of RV vacation if you got to know the laws of 50 states or stop at all of these weigh stations.