Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2023, 06:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Kentucky
THOR #30679
Over Night Stop

Does anyone know if Buc-ee's allows overnight stay.

Old 12-06-2023, 06:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The Buc-ee's that I've tried to stop at with my MH and TOAD didn't even have a place for oversized vehicle parking.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 07:35 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terril Riley View Post
I was told no in SC. Semis not authorized to go on grounds unless delivering.

Man, i want one of their turkey sandwiches now! Ha
Old 12-06-2023, 09:02 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post

Just pull up to one of the 150 pump like youre gonna fill up and go inside.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 09:08 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
No way I would stay at a Bucee's overnight . They ones near me are busy 24 hours a bay. Tons of people coming and going, it would probably be quieter at a WalMart.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 09:54 PM   #6

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
No way I would stay at a Bucee's overnight . They ones near me are busy 24 hours a bay. Tons of people coming and going, it would probably be quieter at a WalMart.
Same here! Worst I'll do is a rest area. No mass shopping venues for us. Any campground will do for a quick overnight versus sleeping at a 24/7 circus. A few truck stops have/have added rv "spaces" but they're small and right in the middle of the "runway".
Old 12-06-2023, 10:20 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Determine the local laws. Some localities have started limiting overnight parking at big box stores and other locations. Some now have fines for violations and ignorance is no excuse.

The area we’re we lived in Virginia did that in / counties and 3 cities right before we left. Residents and business owners got tired of the freeloaders and trash left behind by RV owners. The government bodies realized how much they were losing in lodging and hospitality taxes because of parking lot overnight stops.
Old 12-06-2023, 10:26 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Determine the local laws. Some localities have started limiting overnight parking at big box stores and other locations. Some now have fines for violations and ignorance is no excuse.

The area weíre we lived in Virginia did that in / counties and 3 cities right before we left. Residents and business owners got tired of the freeloaders and trash left behind by RV owners.
There's always the occasional 25 year old MH used as a permanent residence problem, but how can you tell the difference between the trash left by "RVers" and the rash left by the homeless and regular patrons of Walmart? BTW, I've never seen a trash problem at Cracker Barrel or Cabelas/Bass Pro Shops in the RV parking areas.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 02:37 AM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
There's always the occasional 25 year old MH used as a permanent residence problem, but how can you tell the difference between the trash left by "RVers" and the rash left by the homeless and regular patrons of Walmart? BTW, I've never seen a trash problem at Cracker Barrel or Cabelas/Bass Pro Shops in the RV parking areas.
Unfortunately in the eyes of the community residents there is no difference between RV owners, truckers and vagrants. They’re tired of the filth, crime, noisieband turning residential neighborhoods into truck stops, RV parks and vagrant camps.

And BTW, RV owners aren’t the angels folks make them out to be. Just look at some of the scum that use campgrounds and don’t clean up after their bratty kids and filthy animals.

I may be wrong but I believe there will be fewer and fewer communities that allow overnight parking going forward.
Old 12-07-2023, 04:02 AM   #10

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Unfortunately in the eyes of the community residents there is no difference between RV owners, truckers and vagrants. Theyíre tired of the filth, crime, noisier, and Turing residential neighborhoods into truck stops, RV parks and vagrant camps.

And BTW, RV owners arenít the angels folks make them out to be. Just look at some of the scum that use campgrounds and donít clean up after their bratty kids and filthy animals.

I may be wrong but I believe there will be fewer and fewer communities that allow overnight parking going forward.
Unfortunately, EA you are probably right. The local Wallyworld shut down overnighting last year for RV's and trucks. The parking lot was a s--thole, full of garbage and smelled like a ripe porta-jon from all the truckers dumping their piss bottles.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 04:12 AM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terril Riley View Post
The Answer is No.

They have signs up that I have seen.

But why would you want too? It is too bright for me and too loud. Car lights constantly going. Buc-ees that I see and I see lots too many of them are always not too far from metropolitan area 20 - 30 miles or so, so the options to stay elsewhere are endless.

Get a Garmin a used or refurbished one; one of my favorite advantages of my RV890 GPS ( no it is not that marketing of low bridges that may be on my route , but it will tell me all of the upcoming rest stops and and RV parks, campsites etc. I had never noticed before without the RV890, but I think on the highway you are always within 75 miles of quiet legal rest stop. One of the reasons I am glad we bought a coach that is fully functional with slide in.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 04:28 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Unfortunately in the eyes of the community residents there is no difference between RV owners, truckers and vagrants. Theyíre tired of the filth, crime, noisier, and Turing residential neighborhoods into truck stops, RV parks and vagrant camps.

And BTW, RV owners arenít the angels folks make them out to be. Just look at some of the scum that use campgrounds and donít clean up after their bratty kids and filthy animals.

At the Wal Mart in Trinidad, CO we have stayed there 3 times. The welcome RVers but everytime we have been there we see something that is shocking to us. Last time, some guy had a RV that was no less than 30 years old, it look like he may have stole it from some homeless camp, he was towing it with some chain. He had it parked with engine compartment opened and it obviously disabled. He has his pickup parked vertical in front of engine so it was hard to tell what he was doing. He was there at least 4 days because we saw him on the way back, but did not stop.

Once at a Walmart a RV'er on a slightly elevated incline above us overnight decided to drain their gray water early the next morning about 6:00am ish. The affluent flowed underneath our RV.

My favorite was at a Wal Mart in Arkansas, where RV owner had 2 or 3 slides out, jacks down, a Direct TV setup outside, awning with lawn furniture and grille. We did a drive by and moved on.

Maybe I have just been lucky, but we just kind of drive, places to overnight always just show up. It is relative to where you are and type of highway. Maybe you can't do that in congested areas like NorthEast?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 05:58 AM   #13

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Unfortunately, EA you are probably right. The local Wallyworld shut down overnighting last year for RV's and trucks. The parking lot was a s--thole, full of garbage and smelled like a ripe porta-jon from all the truckers dumping their piss bottles.
Nearly every mammal learns at an early age not to crap in their own nest. Unfortunately many humans skipped that class and live in their own filth... or leave it for someone else.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:42 AM   #14

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post

You can have the turkey, I want the BBQ.

The new Buc-ee's at I-40 Exit 407 (Pigeon Forge, Sevierville, Gatlinburg Exit) claims traffic at 30,000 vehicles a day. Seems there is always a line coming off the interstate for that Buc-ee's. I estimate they do at least a million dollars a day there. Don't think I would care to spend the night there.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 10:45 AM   #15

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Nearly every mammal learns at an early age not to crap in their own nest. Unfortunately many humans skipped that class and live in their own filth... or leave it for someone else.
AMEN!

I have a very good friend of 39 years who says that after going to Walmart he feels like he needs a bath.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 12:57 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 34R
THOR #19887
Unless it is a local ordinance, I think Walmart Supercenters are losing a good business opportunity by forbidding overnight b themselves.

The problem would be really easy to fix by establishing a $10 overnight fee...

Agree that some Walmart Parking lots are a mess but I can't count how many times we found a very convenient, just off the highway Walmart that was quiet enough for us.

We usually arrive after 11pm and are gone by 8am and I would be glad to pay $10 for that convenience.
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 02:12 PM   #17

THOR #11130
If you can't afford or are too cheap to spend $30 on a campground, don't spend $200,000 on an RV.
Old 12-07-2023, 02:13 PM   #18

THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
You can have the turkey, I want the BBQ.

The new Buc-ee's at I-40 Exit 407 (Pigeon Forge, Sevierville, Gatlinburg Exit) claims traffic at 30,000 vehicles a day. Seems there is always a line coming off the interstate for that Buc-ee's. I estimate they do at least a million dollars a day there. Don't think I would care to spend the night there.
Haha

To much sugar in their bbq!

I make better! Woot!
Old 12-07-2023, 02:13 PM   #19

THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
If you can't afford or are too cheap to spend $30 on a campground, don't spend $200,000 on an RV.

Bingo!
Old 12-07-2023, 02:35 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 34R
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
If you can't stop, observe and think before you speak, you should not be speaking.

If you notice the picture in my avatar, I have no problems paying $200/night in a resort if I think the value is there but arriving at a campsite at 11pm, midnight and sometimes even 1am after have driven 600 miles in a day is not a good thing for who is arriving and for who is already there....
The last thing you need when you are tired is to have to navigate tight roads in the dark...
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote