Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2022, 12:01 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Unless we are going to some specific park to camp and spend a few days, we just drive. I always find something someplace that is nice. I have Truck stops as backups; but I have never had to stay at any of them ( they are noisy anyway).

Some states Rest Areas are just incredible. One in particular between Dallas & Houston, ( I think it just north of Huntsville; is the best I have ever seen). I will take anyone's challenge on it.

I drive until about 10:00 PM - 11:00 PM before I start to see what is nearby, where ever it is at 7:00 AM; I am gone. No slide, but I do use generator. I never saw a place to say NOT to use Generator? If they did, I would keep moving to next spot.

Let's say you don't find anything; what's the worse thing that going to happen? After all you are in a RV not VW Rabbit

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 12:19 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Unless we are going to some specific park to camp and spend a few days, we just drive. I also ways find something someplace that is nice. I have Truck stops as backups; but I have never had to stay at any.

Some states Rest Areas are just incredible. One in particular between Dallas & Houston, ( I think it just north of Huntsville; is the best I have ever seen). I will take anyones challenge on it.

I drive until about 10:00 PM - 11:00 PM before I start to see what is nearby, where ever it is at 7:00 AM; I am gone. No slide, but I do use generator. I never saw a place to say NOT to use Generator? If they did, I would keep moving to next spot.

Let's say you don't find anything; what's the worse thing that going to happen? After all you are in a RV not VW Rabbit
I'll take that challenge and say the Cherokee County rest area on US 69. Or the rest area in Chambelain SD.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 12:44 AM   #23

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I'll take that challenge and say the Cherokee County rest area on US 69. Or the rest area in Chambelain SD.
Well they say a $#&%er is born every minute, I could be a billionaire by now.

IH 45 - Southbound, north of Huntsville
Latitude = 30.8007 Longitude = -95.6841
Milepost: 125

Features

2 sets of Men's and Women's Restrooms
Picnic Tables
Air-conditioned lobby and restrooms
Playground
Drinking Water
Separate Truck and Passenger Parking
Family/Assisted Restroom
Vending Machines
Group Picnic Facility
Walking Trail
Handicap Access
Interpretive Displays

Plenty of room, not crowded, no noise, you can run generator. Do I dare add 4 bars of T Mobile on my T-Mobile Home Internet Black Box!!!

I am bringing my fishing gear next time I drive RV to this Rest Stop

See one of the Mods to work out my payment arrangements

But point to made to OP, there are some nice Rest Stop areas. Whenever I do stop, and I don't like something; I just drive some more... unless you way out West in the middle of some dessert.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	raHuntsville1.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	39717   Click image for larger version

Name:	raHuntsville2.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	39718  

Click image for larger version

Name:	raHuntsville3.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	39719  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-14-2022, 01:19 AM   #24

Model: Tuscany
THOR #1808
Quote:
Well they say a $#&%er is born every minute, I could be a billionaire by now.

IH 45 - Southbound, north of Huntsville
Latitude = 30.8007 Longitude = -95.6841
Milepost: 125

Features

2 sets of Men's and Women's Restrooms
Picnic Tables
Air-conditioned lobby and restrooms
Playground
Drinking Water
Separate Truck and Passenger Parking
Family/Assisted Restroom
Vending Machines
Group Picnic Facility
Walking Trail
Handicap Access
Interpretive Displays

Plenty of room, not crowded, no noise, you can run generator. Do I dare add 4 bars of T Mobile on my T-Mobile Home Internet Black Box!!!

I am bringing my & fishing gear next time I drive RV to this Rest Stop

See one of the Mods to work out my payment arrangements

But point to made to OP, there are some nice places, whenever I do stop, and I don't like something; I just drive some more... unless you way out West in the middle of some dessert.

we have never stayed at a wally world or rest areas for an over night
we stop at rest areas or large shopping areas to grab a bite or to eat lunch, walk the dog. then roll
as far a generator, its on 99% of the time once we drop shore power. I like to be cool in summer and if needed warm in other times

if we are in that big of a hurry or time crunch, the bus stays home and we take a car or truck.
i drive 5 to 6 hrs max each day and plan accordingly , thats usually about 250 or so miles per day . it has to to be a very extreme reason to drive after dark, the reflections and glare on the big window , is horrible and the driving lights are not that GOOD.

we arrive by 5 and leave between 9 and 10 . we just dont get in a rush, unless extreme circumstances prevail like bad weather approaching or the like

i have taken a quick shower in the road at a campground because it was raining cats and dogs and i was soaked. but everyone else had left already

yup that is one nice rest area on 45

texas is on a rest area re vitalization boom right now
lots of the old ones that were shuttered are being rebuilt top to bottom and very very nice

there is one in MISSISSIPPI near the space center that is awesome, they even have rv turn out spots
Old 10-14-2022, 02:07 AM   #25

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Hey Greybear

Garden City/Bear Lake are beautiful locations. The last time I drove down from Yellowstone, I stopped at the KOA Bear Lake/Garden City. Busy summer place but a wonderful place with lots to do. We are heading to Riverton for Thanksgiving and Christmas for a week each time visiting friends. With the new coach, I plan on staying at the Salt Lake KOA and use the car to get around. I am having the Demco Stay and Play braking system installed with the Blue Ox Base Plate and Blue Ox Alpha Tow bar. We will not travel with our car right behind us. We are planning out next summer's trip to Florida and all points between.

Paul
Old 10-14-2022, 03:06 AM   #26

THOR #1808
we did the yellowstone and mt Rushmore and devils tower a few years ago
stopped in cheyene for an overnight, ended up staying a week

train depot was a bell ringer
Old 10-14-2022, 09:52 AM   #27

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
we have never stayed at a wally world or rest areas for an over night
we stop at rest areas or large shopping areas to grab a bite or to eat lunch, walk the dog. then roll
as far a generator, its on 99% of the time once we drop shore power. I like to be cool in summer and if needed warm in other times

if we are in that big of a hurry or time crunch, the bus stays home and we take a car or truck.
i drive 5 to 6 hrs max each day and plan accordingly , thats usually about 250 or so miles per day . it has to to be a very extreme reason to drive after dark, the reflections and glare on the big window , is horrible and the driving lights are not that GOOD.

we arrive by 5 and leave between 9 and 10 . we just dont get in a rush, unless extreme circumstances prevail like bad weather approaching or the like

i have taken a quick shower in the road at a campground because it was raining cats and dogs and i was soaked. but everyone else had left already

yup that is one nice rest area on 45

texas is on a rest area re vitalization boom right now
lots of the old ones that were shuttered are being rebuilt top to bottom and very very nice

there is one in MISSISSIPPI near the space center that is awesome, they even have rv turn out spots
Yep, these folks make me tired just reading their posts. We have an RV for fun and not work. The older I get the shorter I like the driving days and if I am driving after dark there is some kind of emergency. Dkoldman mentioned driving until 11 PM. If I had to do that the RV would be sold. I know many of you are young and still work and have to drive like hell to get there and the same when going back home. I am retired and want to enjoy my time left. We like the comforts of a campground with full hookups and when I can't afford that I will sell the RV.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 11:26 AM   #28

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
Yep, these folks make me tired just reading their posts. We have an RV for fun and not work. The older I get the shorter I like the driving days and if I am driving after dark there is some kind of emergency. Dkoldman mentioned driving until 11 PM. If I had to do that the RV would be sold. I know many of you are young and still work and have to drive like hell to get there and the same when going back home. I am retired and want to enjoy my time left. We like the comforts of a campground with full hookups and when I can't afford that I will sell the RV.
My exact thoughts. I don’t go to my local Walmart. It scares the crap out of me. Overnite? Maybe with a loaded shotgun. I’ve read that some truckstops (Loves) are adding overnite rv sites.
Old 10-14-2022, 12:47 PM   #29

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
Since you called me out. My wife and I still work for a living. We bought our RV 3 years ago because when it was time to replace my Navigator it was like $95k for new one. I said for that kind of money we could buy an RV. We did. We drive our Winnebago 29VE just like a SUV. Even around town (Dallas) for restaurants, friends and sporting events.

Now in reference to your To you drive to 11:00 PM rant. For any given weekend or trip, we may not leave Dallas until after 5:00PM. i.e. our son lives in Colorado, when we do leave, I will drive at least to Amarillo, or sometimes make it into New Mexico to that inactive volcano Rest Stop (exact names escapes me). It just depends on traffic and how I feel; but it could be 11:00PM or even later. At 7:00 AM we are back on the road and in Denver by 11:00 AM. That ain't work for me. If I thought it was, I could fly, it is a helluva lot cheaper

Incidentally, when we do get to our campsite with full hookups, it is very rare that I actually do hookup unless I need the ACs. I may dump and refill the water before leaving, but to me that is work. This is in part because we don't carry a towed, and I frequently leave the campsite to drive to where ever I need to go. You couldn't pay me to go to a campsite and stay their 3 days, I would go crazy the 1st day. The campsite is NEVER the intended destination or reason for any of our trips.

One other thing, you do realize it is optional to read any post on a forum? Blocking that User makes that process easier if it helps.
Old 10-14-2022, 01:44 PM   #30

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Hey all be careful at night. Last week my family with 5 members driving at night back to Helena MT from a football game 7:30pm hit deer. There were 3 in the road. Toyota 4 runner. All 5 cuts bruises from all air bags.
1 went to hospital but ok. Lora and I try to never drive at night and they used to tell us night driving is no issue for them being born and raised in montana. All are OK now.
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 02:18 PM   #31

THOR #2121
In time I expect more options for profit like this one will be available along major highways, though price may have to come down a little to capture large market share.

https://rvselfpark.com/

To compete with free parking/boondocking, a simpler parking spot without full hookups may be enough for many who just want to rest and sleep. Those with time on their hands can probably find state parks and other campgrounds for about the same price or lower. In my opinion these parking sites have to offer significant speed and convenience beyond typical campgrounds to be successful.
Old 10-14-2022, 02:24 PM   #32

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Hey all be careful at night. Last week my family with 5 members driving at night back to Helena MT from a football game 7:30pm hit deer. There were 3 in the road. Toyota 4 runner. All 5 cuts bruises from all air bags.
1 went to hospital but ok. Lora and I try to never drive at night and they used to tell us night driving is no issue for them being born and raised in montana. All are OK now.
Glad you're all okay. I'll second the caution. My son hit a deer earlier this year coming home from a late shift at his summer job. $6K damage to the car, but he was unharmed.
Old 10-14-2022, 02:42 PM   #33

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
In time I expect more options for profit like this one will be available along major highways, though price may have to come down a little to capture large market share.

https://rvselfpark.com/

To compete with free parking/boondocking, a simpler parking spot without full hookups may be enough for many who just want to rest and sleep. Those with time on their hands can probably find state parks and other campgrounds for about the same price or lower. In my opinion these parking sites have to offer significant speed and convenience beyond typical campgrounds to be successful.

Appreciate the info thx
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 10-14-2022, 03:12 PM   #34

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I clicked in three different sites in the SE on the rvselfpark site. All said that they were under consideration. BS, that just means some site owner sent them an email inquiry. So, not ready for prime time imho.

David
Old 10-14-2022, 03:30 PM   #35

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I clicked in three different sites in the SE on the rvselfpark site. All said that they were under consideration. BS, that just means some site owner sent them an email inquiry. So, not ready for prime time imho.

David

There is only one — hence why I said like this one. Capital cost is too high due to high level of automation, so what’s needed in my opinion is same concept watered down to basics. The listed $39 per night won’t fly in my opinion.

I can see RVers staying at these sites every 3 or 4 days to dump and fill water, but in between while traveling cross country just a parking spot with electricity for air conditioner is probably all most RVers would want to pay for.
Old 10-14-2022, 04:23 PM   #36

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
We have been overnighting in Interstate Rest Areas for years. RV's are relegated to parking with the trucks. Trucks idle all night, so it is noisy. We pull in, start the genny and turn on the overhead a/c or the fan to drown out the noise. Our genny running isn't as loud as an idling truck. In the 30+ years we have been traveling in a motorhome we have never gotten a knock on the door telling us to move on.
No slides out & definitely no lawn chairs or grills. You are OVERNIGHTING, it isn't a campground.
If the parking area is very uneven, we will put the jacks down to level the fridge. We do have jack pads to protect the asphalt.
Truckers and travelers are there to get some sleep and we don't leave our RV after dark, so we don't really interact with anyone anyway. Ne'er-do-wells look for easy pickings and IMHO you are more apt to run into them in Wally-world parking lots in metropolitan areas or truck stops near bigger cities. Our last trip was 30 nights, two were spent in Interstate Rest Areas.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 05:32 PM   #37

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Interesting discussions and observations

For the past year traveling both directions on I70 and I80 every rest area we have passed morning and evening have been full, with trucks on the side of entry and exit ramps. A few campers occasionally but not a lot. A few of the newer stops have a circle area with a dump station and the smaller RV's can get in there.

Apparently, all the rest of you have a lot larger rest areas or less traffic where your traveling

As with most things do what works for you and I will probably never sleep overnight in a rest area. Haven't yet and on the road since 1965 about when we actually finally got interstates in the Midwest. They weren't completed so you were on and off them.
Old 10-14-2022, 06:49 PM   #38

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Interesting discussions and observations

For the past year traveling both directions on I70 and I80 every rest area we have passed morning and evening have been full, with trucks on the side of entry and exit ramps. A few campers occasionally but not a lot. A few of the newer stops have a circle area with a dump station and the smaller RV's can get in there.

Apparently, all the rest of you have a lot larger rest areas or less traffic where your traveling

As with most things do what works for you and I will probably never sleep overnight in a rest area. Haven't yet and on the road since 1965 about when we actually finally got interstates in the Midwest. They weren't completed so you were on and off them.

Good deal ..traveling to over 23 states..major roadways in MT WY OR MO TX AL NM ETC WE have noticed nice rest areas ..
Old 10-14-2022, 09:51 PM   #39

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLG View Post
We are traveling from BC to AZ soon. I am trying to convince my wife to overnight at rest areas, not private campgrounds. We would just be there long enough to make dinner walk the dogs and have a sleep.
I am wondering if it’s ok to level rv and put out the slide.
How would starting and running genset be received?
My wife’s big concern is homeless people and undesirable people hanging around and bothering us. I’m trying to convince her there will be other trailers like us and truckers resting overnight. I’m thinking the rest stops will be perfectly safe.
Anyone have experience and advice?
Will you be going down I-5? We do the drive often. There are plenty of state Rest Areas in Oregon. 1: Stay in those away from cities. 2: Being in an RV you will park with the big rigs. Never a problem... There is and nice one right at the border of Oregon and California on the river. Once in California it get harder as many of the stops have been closed a long time. Many of the truck stops for fuel have parking spots for overnight.

If you go the AZ through Salt Lake City it is a lot nicer and the fuel cost are less. I 84 through Bosie then south around Twin Falls.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 02:12 AM   #40

THOR #1808
Quote:
Since you called me out. My wife and I still work for a living. We bought our RV 3 years ago because when it was time to replace my Navigator it was like $95k for new one. I said for that kind of money we could buy an RV. We did. We drive our Winnebago 29VE just like a SUV. Even around town (Dallas) for restaurants, friends and sporting events.

Now in reference to your To you drive to 11:00 PM rant. For any given weekend or trip, we may not leave Dallas until after 5:00PM. i.e. our son lives in Colorado, when we do leave, I will drive at least to Amarillo, or sometimes make it into New Mexico to that inactive volcano Rest Stop (exact names escapes me). It just depends on traffic and how I feel; but it could be 11:00PM or even later. At 7:00 AM we are back on the road and in Denver by 11:00 AM. That ain't work for me. If I thought it was, I could fly, it is a helluva lot cheaper

Incidentally, when we do get to our campsite with full hookups, it is very rare that I actually do hookup unless I need the ACs. I may dump and refill the water before leaving, but to me that is work. This is in part because we don't carry a towed, and I frequently leave the campsite to drive to where ever I need to go. You couldn't pay me to go to a campsite and stay their 3 days, I would go crazy the 1st day. The campsite is NEVER the intended destination or reason for any of our trips.

One other thing, you do realize it is optional to read any post on a forum? Blocking that User makes that process easier if it helps.
we drove our 40 foot bus up that old volcano , capulin or something . man what a drive up and down
they closed the road so we could drive the up, we didnt have a towed with us at the time

https://www.nps.gov/cavo/index.htm