Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2016, 01:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #6090
Pets staying in MH

OK, I know there are lots of full-timers that travel with their pets. We are planning a month long trip to Grand Canyon/Yellowstone areas and want to take our cat. While she hasn't traveled with us before because we have never stayed away this long, I have concerns about leaving her in our MH while we visit the parks. Should we be concerned she might be in danger due to a bear wondering into a RV park looking for food? We will camp mostly at private campsites instead of a NP. We have been in areas where small bears have been seen, but there was never an issue with them trying to get inside a car or RV. How concerned should we be with a bear smelling us cooking a meal and head our way to help himself to our dinner or smell food in our RV and try to get inside?

Old 12-31-2016, 01:56 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Wink

Donworryboutit. Go and enjoy. Bears don't like cats, they're too greasy an the fur constipates them.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:01 PM   #3

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Donworryboutit. Go and enjoy. Bears don't like cats, they're too greasy an the fur constipates them.
I am going to guess that anyone like me (non-cat owner) thought that was extremely funny, but I am guessing the OP may not have LOL.

I would not think you have anything to worry about traveling with your cat, around Yellowstone or about anyplace else. Chances are you could stay in or around Yellowstone for two weeks and never see a bear.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:58 PM   #4

THOR #6090
OMG, you gave me such a laugh. Guess I needed it today.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:21 PM   #5

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingcat View Post
OMG, you gave me such a laugh. Guess I needed it today.
Last June we stayed about 20 minutes from West Yellowstone just inside Idaho. Rented a car in W. Yellowstone to make daily trips to the NP. Never had any animals come around the RV park where we stayed (Sawtelle Mountain). Now, dogs may be a different story. Yellowstone NP is not in my opinion pet friendly. We left our three safe at home for this trip.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:28 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
I love cats and I think that was funny, LMAO!!! Constipated, to funny!!!
Old 12-31-2016, 06:16 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #4397
We took our two cats with to Yellowstone in a 26 foot motorhome. We stayed in several campgrounds that allowed only hard-sided campers because of the bears. BTW, these campgrounds are so crowded and are monitored that we never saw any bears IN the campground. But we saw Bears near the campground.

We felt safe leaving our two cats in the RV while we left in a rental car to tour Yellowstone NP.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:55 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I've visited 28 national parks, and with exception of those in Alaska and Hawaii, all were visited in motorhomes; some like Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, and Zion multiple times each over the years. I have yet to see a single bear in a campground, although I heard park rangers had removed a bear from Yosemite a night or two before we arrived on one occasion.

For most visits we had dogs with us, and made it a point to walk them before dark for their safety and ours. I have seen bears in Yellowstone, but never closer than about 50 to 100 yards away along a road, and that was not close to a campground. Regarding bears, I personally feel safe inside a hard-sided motorhome/RV.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:58 PM   #9
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
We travel with our cat EVERYWHERE ! have never had an issue with wild critters ! I will warn you of one thing which I never thought would occur...
if your pet is ill and on meds...make sure you are prepared for the worst.

happy travels !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:12 PM   #10

THOR #6090
Axis Earl, how was the Sawtelle Mountain RV park? Is it 20 minutes to the entrance of Yellowstone? Then how long does it take to get to main attractions like Old Faithful? Did you also visit Grand Tetons NP from that location, if so, how long of a drive was that?
Old 01-01-2017, 05:07 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31K
THOR #3520
(QUOTE)
For most visits we had dogs with us, and made it a point to walk them before dark for their safety and ours. I have seen bears in Yellowstone, but never closer than about 50 to 100 yards away along a road, and that was not close to a campground. Regarding bears, I personally feel safe inside a hard-sided motorhome/RV.[/QUOTE]

Couple of things to point out here. Yes, I agree your dogs are safer walking in daylight. Yes, you probably are safer in a hard sided RV rather than a tent, popup, etc. Not because that bit of thin aluminum or fiberglass would deter a bear but because cooking odors will not pass through and permeate like canvas. Using an outdoor kitchen rather wastes that advantage compared to cooking indoors and having odors go out your roof vents. RVers have another big advantage over certain others. When you leave you can take your bear spray with you. I put them in belly boxes rather than risk an indoor accidental discharge. But those in rental cars who will be flying home have to leave that investment behind. Often leaving them at the ranger station on their way out. Too bad the rangers cannot give them out to visitors but there is a big liability issue there. We always carry bear spray out walking in grizzly country.
Anyway our cat and dog travel with us. In boxes when we are on the move with the boxes secured to seatbelts. Run of the place once we are set up. Dog gets walked on short leash during the day, uses a floor pad at night.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca