Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2024, 05:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 22E
State: California
THOR #31946
Planning a trip to Pacific west coast

What is your suggestion boondocking along the coast/beaches from SF to Seattle? Good eateries to stop by? Things to watch out? Best camping sites? Culture, history, museums, point of interest must stop? Thank you for your advice.

2024 Thor Chateau 22E
RetiredTorng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 06:30 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Due to a lack of societal regulation in this region, boondocking might want to be rethunk.

A wonderful alternative is
HarvestHosts.
1 There's an app
2. It's as safe as safe can get
3. It's a Huge amount of fun.

I'm a fan of Hearst Castle.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 09:35 PM   #3

THOR #31946
Pacific West Coast

Yes, Hearst Castle is on my must see list. Another small town I want to visit is Trinidad. A beautiful small town. Thanks for your comment.
2024 Thor Chateau 22E
Old 03-02-2024, 11:02 PM   #4

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredTorng View Post
What is your suggestion boondocking along the coast/beaches from SF to Seattle? Good eateries to stop by? Things to watch out? Best camping sites? Culture, history, museums, point of interest must stop? Thank you for your advice.
The Oregon and Washington coast 101, is a great drive. Mostly forest to the east and Pacific on the left. Jet boats on the Rouge river out of Gold Beach, Elk preserve in Readsport, Gold in Bandon. Pacific City Pelican Brewery, Maritime Museum in Astoria. Too many to mention. PM me if you want a detail and we can go back and forth. We live outside of Portland and spend a lot of time on the coast in Olympic Peninsula.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 11:27 PM   #5

THOR #22245
Quote:
https://rvliving.com/oregon-coast-bi...mpaign_9185995
Old 03-02-2024, 11:44 PM   #6

THOR #31946
Pacific West Coast

HMCSW - Thank you for the suggestions. I will contact you when I'm close to Oregon. A question, is it safe to bookdock at the beach or coast? I am a photographer and like to take pictures before sunrise and after sunset.
2024 Thor Chateau 22E
Old 03-02-2024, 11:52 PM   #7

THOR #22245
Quote:
HMCSW - Thank you for the suggestions. I will contact you when I'm close to Oregon. A question, is it safe to bookdock at the beach or coast? I am a photographer and like to take pictures before sunrise and after sunset.
I do not know of places to just park and stop. There are plenty of RV park and state parks right on the beach or walkable: Whalers Rest in Newport,https://rvliving.com/oregon-coast-bi...mpaign_9185995
this one is in Brookings OR. For state parks and even commercial start booking now, they fill up fast.

Cannon Beach is another great location. No boondocking but a reasonable RV park.

Fortunately the sh*tshow that is Portland, Eugene and such is not at the coast. Especially in the summer tourist season. PD controls that.
Old 03-03-2024, 04:05 AM   #8

THOR #31946
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
I do not know of places to just park and stop. There are plenty of RV park and state parks right on the beach or walkable: Whalers Rest in Newport,https://rvliving.com/oregon-coast-bi...mpaign_9185995
this one is in Brookings OR. For state parks and even commercial start booking now, they fill up fast.

Cannon Beach is another great location. No boondocking but a reasonable RV park.

Fortunately the sh*tshow that is Portland, Eugene and such is not at the coast. Especially in the summer tourist season. PD controls that.
Thanks for your input. That raises an interesting questions, do costal beaches allow or ban overnight parking? Or do they allow vehicles in or along the beach after certain hours?
2024 Thor Chateau 22E
Old 03-03-2024, 10:18 AM   #9

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Thanks for your input. That raises an interesting questions, do costal beaches allow or ban overnight parking? Or do they allow vehicles in or along the beach after certain hours?
I believe what is implied here is to stay in one of the state parks or campgrounds close to the beach and drive to the beach with your equipment during the periods you wish to take photos.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 03:02 PM   #10

THOR #31946
Pacific West Coast Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
I believe what is implied here is to stay in one of the state parks or campgrounds close to the beach and drive to the beach with your equipment during the periods you wish to take photos.
That's really too bad. I want to take photos before sunrise AND after sunset. With a 22 ft RV, I don't bring a toad. If I can't stay on site, I will have to drive my RV around early and late in the dark.

From google map I do see sometimes camp sites at the beach, especially state parks, maybe I'll be lucky.
2024 Thor Chateau 22E
Old 03-03-2024, 08:45 PM   #11

Model: Rize 18M
THOR #29407
Beaches in Oregon and Washington are for "day use" only however, there are many RV Parks that are on the beach or a short walk. Need to book early as anything along Hwy 101 fills-up quickly.

Some of the places that we stop at along the Oregon, Wa coast:

Left Coast Coffee Roasters, Depot Bay, Or
Side Door Cafe, Gleneden Beach, Or not cheap but they do take-out)

Gleneden Beach Park, Gleneden Beach, Or

Pacific Grind Cafe, Lincoln City , Or (check hours and they close at 3 PM)

Manzanita Beach, Manzanita, Or (less crowded than Canon Beach)
Sleepy Monk Coffee Rosters, Canon Beach, Or (check hours and they close at 3 PM)
McMnamins Sand Trap Cafe, Gearhart, Or (just North of Seaside, Or)
Tillamook Air Museum, Tillamook, Or
Driftwood RV Park, Copalis Beach, Wa (quiet, gated and very clean. Individual shower rooms. Will need to drive to the beaches.)

Visit any of the Lighthouses along the coast.

Most parks in Oregon or Washington are free to park at. State and Federal Parks will require a permit to get into and park. They are normally well posted.

Campendium (free) will list most of the RV parks and dump sites.

You indicated your trip was to Seattle. Don't pass-up the Washington Peninsula, north of Astoria, Or. and Ocean Shores Wa. You get into the Olympic Park system. Trees and moss. Ho Rain Forest. Beaches are mostly rocks, not the sand found down south.

Enjoy.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:59 PM   #12

THOR #22245
Quote:
I know of none. In Long Beach wa you can drive out onto the sand during the day. I would be nervous with an RV. You can do the same at Pacific City OR. Penty of RV parks walkable to the beach all along Oregon day or night. Long beach WA there are at least 4 RV parks with ocean front sights about 200 yard walk through the dunes to the water line. Ocean Shores Washington is another. That is on the Olympic Peninsula. Bottom line is Orago and Washington do not have the parking like along the California coast.
Old 03-04-2024, 01:33 AM   #13

THOR #31946
Camp along the coast

Thanks WhatNxtRV & HMCSW for the great information. Now I have some idea what's out there. I have osteoarthritis with my hip, walking is relatively limited, The closer the better. Thanks again.
2024 Thor Chateau 22E
Old 03-04-2024, 02:17 AM   #14

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Don't miss Olympic National Park on your west coast trip.
South Beach Campground, right off US 101, is a first come first served park campground right on the beach.
The Hoh rainforest campground is not on the beach, but it should be on your list of places to see. Sitting at your campsite or walking through the rainforest you expect to see Sasquatch around every bend.
Heart of the Hills Campground on the north side of the park is a good base for the drive up Hurricane Ridge and seeing the sites around Port Angeles.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 03:17 AM   #15

THOR #22245
Quote:
Thanks WhatNxtRV & HMCSW for the great information. Now I have some idea what's out there. I have osteoarthritis with my hip, walking is relatively limited, The closer the better. Thanks again.
No problem. Check out trip wizard. You can look along the coast. ThousandTrails has many in Oregon and Washington. That is were it started. Older parks but on or very close to the water.
Check out Beachside State Park in Walport or.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:52 AM   #16

THOR #31946
Thanks MJC62 and HMCSW. Definitely those sites are now on my list. Thanks.
2024 Thor Chateau 22E
Old 03-05-2024, 05:55 PM   #17

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
If it's truly the "Kodak Moment" you're looking for, it sounds like there's lots of options from those who have suggested them. If it's a combo driven by free camping that drives this...you're screwed. Free camping on the beach would turn them into the streets of San Francisco overnight. California is the freeloader capital of the world.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 02:38 AM   #18

THOR #31946
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
If it's truly the "Kodak Moment" you're looking for, it sounds like there's lots of options from those who have suggested them. If it's a combo driven by free camping that drives this...you're screwed. Free camping on the beach would turn them into the streets of San Francisco overnight. California is the freeloader capital of the world.
Thanks, you have a good point. The problem is sometimes I don't know where I will stop until afternoon. On my way, there maybe photogenic place I want to take sunset/sunrise shots, and want to stay. Not sure if I'll be able to find camp site close by, and if it's not close to the scenic site, I will have to camp in a place close by in the dark after my sunset photo shots and before my sunrise photo shots.

The photogenic sites are those that has a lighthouse, pier, jetty, interesting island, amusement parks, etc.

What is the chance I will be able to camp close by my photogenic site? Would appreciate your comments.
2024 Thor Chateau 22E
Old 03-06-2024, 01:46 PM   #19

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatnxtRV View Post
Beaches in Oregon and Washington are for "day use" only however, there are many RV Parks that are on the beach or a short walk. Need to book early as anything along Hwy 101 fills-up quickly.

Some of the places that we stop at along the Oregon, Wa coast:

Left Coast Coffee Roasters, Depot Bay, Or
Side Door Cafe, Gleneden Beach, Or not cheap but they do take-out)

Gleneden Beach Park, Gleneden Beach, Or

Pacific Grind Cafe, Lincoln City , Or (check hours and they close at 3 PM)

Manzanita Beach, Manzanita, Or (less crowded than Canon Beach)
Sleepy Monk Coffee Rosters, Canon Beach, Or (check hours and they close at 3 PM)
McMnamins Sand Trap Cafe, Gearhart, Or (just North of Seaside, Or)
Tillamook Air Museum, Tillamook, Or
Driftwood RV Park, Copalis Beach, Wa (quiet, gated and very clean. Individual shower rooms. Will need to drive to the beaches.)

Visit any of the Lighthouses along the coast.

Most parks in Oregon or Washington are free to park at. State and Federal Parks will require a permit to get into and park. They are normally well posted.

Campendium (free) will list most of the RV parks and dump sites.

You indicated your trip was to Seattle. Don't pass-up the Washington Peninsula, north of Astoria, Or. and Ocean Shores Wa. You get into the Olympic Park system. Trees and moss. Ho Rain Forest. Beaches are mostly rocks, not the sand found down south.

Enjoy.
When you’re used to Atlantic beaches and first see Ruby Beach in Olympic NP it was amazing. The climb over the huge driftwood logs to get onto the beach was a workout. Got to see tons of ocean life not easily found in the east.
Old 03-06-2024, 01:49 PM   #20

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
We stayed at. KOA in Waldport. Beautiful sunrise ans sunsets. A little eclectic brewery/ restaurant was Yachats Brewing.

Tags
boondock, pacific coast, point of interest