Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2019, 03:40 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quartszite Recommendations?

Making my way out to Quartzsite. Looking for recommendations on where to stay for about a week. Just want to experience it, not live there.

TIA

Old 01-18-2019, 05:47 AM   #2

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze View Post
Making my way out to Quartzsite. Looking for recommendations on where to stay for about a week. Just want to experience it, not live there.

TIA
This time of year you can find a place to stay but you can't be choosy. Lots of desert out that way. Have fun. I think I better put Quartzsite on my bucket list. Been through there many times but only stopped once, and in July.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:37 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Been researching the area myself. Lots of videos on YouTube from quite a variety of lifestyles that cover most everything. A good number of "regular" hookup campgrounds along the main road and tons of "spaces" for boondocking. After much research, it looks like a one-night stop for us with a couple days of touring the area. Huge "flea-market" type tent sales events all the time but most of the stuff looks like what you see at any county fair. I enjoy boondocking and it will be a huge part of our excursions, but I try to avoid the "everything for free" nomad lifestyles groups which are abundant in Quartzsite. It sorta reminds me of the area called "Slab City".
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm probably wrong about this...
But isn't Quartzsite kind of like January's version of Woodstock?
(With of course: better sleeping arrangements!)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #5

THOR #11130
Yep...there's an "RTR" event going on there now...lots of cosmic nomads wondering around the desert. Long as we're on the subject of Woodstock...did you see they're bring it back? "Woodstock 50", they call it. Gonna be held at Watkins Glen Raceway. Looking into camping tickets now but not much available for reservations yet. You posted a cartoon of this a few months back...now it's a reality!! Lots of good history in Quartzsite...just go when the "all for free" festivals are not there...unless this is your cup of tea...then, you'd love it as they have that program mastered.

We now return your thread to it's original purpose and intent....
Old 01-18-2019, 02:11 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
If you are looking to do boondocking, north of quartzsite is the Short term visitors area, no cost to stay there and you can stay up to 14 days, South of quartzsite is the Long Term Visitors Area, you can get a 2 week pass I think but not sure what the cost is normally, right now with the government shut down not sure how you can get a pass or if you can even go there, you need a pass and they do patrol it and will chase you out if you dont have a legit pass. Advantage of the LTVA is water, dump and trash is available with your pass. As far as campgrounds I cant answer that although there are a lot of them there and I would imagine you can find something. In the desert, you just pick a place you want to sit, nothing is laid out other than parking somewhere that causes damage to the terrain although if you are expecting sand, it is NOT sand, it is lava rock crushed and lots of dust from the lava grinding into the dirt.

Bob, it IS like woodstock! lol Close to a million people end up there in the winter.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:14 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Yep...there's an "RTR" event going on there now...lots of cosmic nomads wondering around the desert. Long as we're on the subject of Woodstock...did you see they're bring it back? "Woodstock 50", they call it. Gonna be held at Watkins Glen Raceway. Looking into camping tickets now but not much available for reservations yet. You posted a cartoon of this a few months back...now it's a reality!! Lots of good history in Quartzsite...just go when the "all for free" festivals are not there...unless this is your cup of tea...then, you'd love it as they have that program mastered.

We now return your thread to it's original purpose and intent....
Holding it at Watkins Glen is about like holding the Indy 500 in Charlottesville.
The original event took place just 20 miles from my house...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:19 AM   #8

THOR #12189
Quote:
Been researching the area myself. Lots of videos on YouTube from quite a variety of lifestyles that cover most everything. A good number of "regular" hookup campgrounds along the main road and tons of "spaces" for boondocking. After much research, it looks like a one-night stop for us with a couple days of touring the area. Huge "flea-market" type tent sales events all the time but most of the stuff looks like what you see at any county fair. I enjoy boondocking and it will be a huge part of our excursions, but I try to avoid the "everything for free" nomad lifestyles groups which are abundant in Quartzsite. It sorta reminds me of the area called "Slab City".
I hear you. Hence 'not looking to live there'. Hope you're well.
Quote:
Yep...Long as we're on the subject of Woodstock...did you see they're bring it back? "Woodstock 50", they call it. Gonna be held at Watkins Glen Raceway. Looking into camping tickets now but not much available for reservations yet....
You're shi#$% me!!!
Really???
Let me know what you find out - PLEASE!!!
Old 01-19-2019, 02:33 PM   #9

THOR #11130
The track said the Woostock 50 event will coordinate reservations and camp grounds. Awaiting their response.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:23 PM   #10

THOR #12189
Quote:
The track said the Woostock 50 event will coordinate reservations and camp grounds. Awaiting their response.
Anything more on this? Been a while.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:51 AM   #11

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze View Post
Anything more on this? Been a while.

You can go to the website, www.woodstock.com. Enter your email for updates. I did that some time back but haven't heard anything from them yet. So fr, it sounds like a very unorganized attempt.