Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2017, 11:53 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quick-Stop Parks?

We were just talking about the concept for "quick-stop parks" during our lastest trip, so I found this article both interesting and timely.

What do you guys think about need for places along major roads designed to provide a quick and convenient place to rest and sleep overnight other than using Walmart, Cracker Barrel, rest area, etc.? Would you use them?

Our discussion was in terms of rest areas with designated parking spots that included a 30-Amp power connection, for an automated fee of course. No attendants. We could pull in and out any time without reservations. The Florida Turnpike has/had similar setup for truckers, but with air conditioning units rather than electric power (which is far simpler, cheaper, and easier to maintain). Why not the same for RVers?

The closest we've experienced to this concept is a little city park in Wichita Falls, Texas, off highway 287. There are no restrooms -- RVs must be self contained. Sites have power and water (water is underground and not convenient to connect, so I don't normally use it). Pads are concrete and level, some pull throughs. We get electric power, and local TV network channels come in clearly. Unlike what's being proposed, they do have a dump station on way out. Not bad for $17 (paid in cash -- need to update), particularly since it's almost as fast as a rest area when one is just passing through; although it's not mainly about the cost. The benefit for us is not being limited by reservations.

Is there a need for RV parking areas for those just passing through?

Woodbury Proposes Network of Quick-Stop Parks | RV Business

Slightly longer original version:

RV Travel Newsletter Issue 796 – RV Travel

Old 06-04-2017, 01:03 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You haven't traveled the Ohio Turnpike.

The recently renovated service plaza's on the OH turnpike have a separate area for RV's that includes at least 30A service. They are relatively inexpensive, no attendant, you just pay at a kiosk (have to put your receipt on your dash so a patrolling officer can see it if/when they come by). The only real downside is that many of the plaza's only offer back in sites--thus if you've got a toad you either disconnect it or just park by the trucks.

Easy to back in with a 5er:

Not so easy with a toad:

I'm pretty sure its the same service plaza on both pics (just separated by 3-4 years). With the Axis we're on the truck side; the RV spots are away from the trucks.

LOL! Of course in this Google streetview you see a motorhome with toad that found a way.

Having said all of the above: I'd love it if more states provided such small overnight spots like this. We would use them quite a bit.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:38 PM   #3

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
You haven't traveled the Ohio Turnpike.

The recently renovated service plaza's on the OH turnpike have a separate area for RV's that includes at least 30A service. They are relatively inexpensive, no attendant, you just pay at a kiosk (have to put your receipt on your dash so a patrolling officer can see it if/when they come by). The only real downside is that many of the plaza's only offer back in sites--thus if you've got a toad you either disconnect it or just park by the trucks.

Easy to back in with a 5er:

....cut.....

No, haven't stayed there yet, but will make a mental note if in that area on future trip.

I'm curious how they locate power pedestal so it doesn't get run over too easily. I can't see any connections on pictures. I'm assuming that in back-in spaces the pedestal is behind the guardrail, is that right?

Pull-throughs may require some kind of divider to separate parking spaces in order to locate power pedestal, which would add cost.

Curbside parking like on picture above may be an option. Worst case half the pedestals would be on wrong side but that's not that big an issue for most.

P.S. -- A great benefit of power-only parking sites like this is that they could stay open year round. Last year we had difficulties finding RV Parks that were open due to freezing weather.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #4

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
Stayed in one a few years ago on Interestate 90 believe it was Indiana or Illinois, $12.00 for the night. Most states are very very resistant to offering that because of liability and it takes away from the local economy (local camp grounds and restaurants). I don't ever seeing it becoming popular because of these factors. In our area, Walmarts are off limits to overnighting, and its because it is a town ordinance which was influenced by the local campgrounds.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:39 PM   #5

THOR #2121
In fairness, I think what Woodbury is proposing is privately owned and operated ultra-basic campgrounds that would essentially be like a rest area with power so you don't have to run a generator.

I can see where some smaller towns near an interstate or main road might benefit financially from such a campground in that it may attract more business, not less. If they don't have a campground anyway, a glorified parking lot may be an improvement.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:13 PM   #6

THOR #5330
Chance I must have read it wrong, I thought he said it was on the Ohio Turnpike, is that not run and maintained by the State of Ohio? It's private? My mistake. I don't see many small towns having anything like that off site for travelers, the cost would be prohibitive.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:16 PM   #7

THOR #5330
My mistake, I was more into answering the reply with the photos attached not your original one. Sorry.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:37 PM   #8

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
There's a book/catalogue that list "Free" overnight parks all across the country. The small Texas panhandle town we grew up in (Dumas) & the one ours kids grew up in (Perryton) both have a city park with electric only & you can stay up to 3 nights free, both are nice enough for a night or two.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:41 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The Ohio Turnpike parks are run by the state (they have a small two pager (pdf) describing everything).

There are a few pull-throughs--I haven't stayed there so I don't know how they do the pedestal. The one we were parked at the pedestal was at the back along the fence behind a guard rail.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote