Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2017, 04:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Rating the states

Just completed a 2800 mile road trip (Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington) and wanted to give my 2 cents on impressions.
Overall I'm going to have to give Montana the #1 state followed by Wyoming coming in a VERY close second. I didn't drive as much of Wyoming or perhaps it would have been #1 but in terms of roads, people, facilities, rest areas, food and just plain fun to drive thru, Montana has it all. The roads in Utah are fantastic but what they call rest areas are not in any way what I would call a rest area. Maybe that's why they have such good roads, they let the truck stops call themselves rest areas and spend the money on roads, but they stink! The roads in Idaho are decent, but drivers are not and it gets proportionately worse the farther west you go. Washington is near the bottom of the list if for no other reason than drivers there have no courtesy whatsoever and the roads are mediocre. Last but not least is Arizona which is last on the list for everything but food. The drivers are the worst I've ever experienced and while some of the roads are okay many of the roads especially in Coconino County (Flagstaff) are absolutely horrible. The stretch of I-17 from the south county line to I-40 feels like it was paved with a wheelbarrow and shovel. Overall though a good trip with no major issues.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:23 PM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I totally agree Arizona roads are not too good & 110% on the roads & people in Washington, they are by far the most descourteous I've ever been around, not only driving but in everything, If you ever hear please or thank you you'll know immediately they are from out of town. Sorry Washitonians, but I call'em like I see'em.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:47 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #7634
Guess you didn't make it to Oregon. I would be curious what you thought about our roads and state. Never experienced any discourtesy in Washington State. But Idaho drivers have this sense of entitlement in regards to speed limits when out of Idaho. A lot of thier roads suck too.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:00 PM   #4

THOR #3610
Spent time in Oregon & took back roads, the roads were OK & the drivers to watch out for had Washington plates.
As for HORRIBLE highways try Oklahoma & Louisiana, they charge for rides like these at theme parks, like I-5 in the Seattle/Tacoma area, you'll need a kidney belt & stirrups.
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-24-2017, 08:09 PM   #5

THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by thutchis View Post
Guess you didn't make it to Oregon. I would be curious what you thought about our roads and state. Never experienced any discourtesy in Washington State. But Idaho drivers have this sense of entitlement in regards to speed limits when out of Idaho. A lot of thier roads suck too.
I grew up in Oregon, spent 21 years in the Navy and moved back to Oregon for 20 years, and now spend nearly 6 months a year in Oregon so no need. Oregon has changed a LOT! Two words come to mind immediately especially driving I-5... SLOW SLOW and TRUCKS. There is a virtual train of trucks every time I drive from PDX to Corvallis and they are pretty aggressive in their lane changes only to take 3 miles to pass the truck in front of them. The rutted out roads I hate and for me the sooner they outlaw studded tires the better. I do love Oregon however but just couldn't take the valley rain any longer on a permanent basis.
Just for the record and because people get offended so damn quick my post was not meant to bash any one state but to provide information and my own opinion. One thing for certain though some states the people are just plain friendly and some they are not.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:26 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 28F
THOR #2768
The reason the interstate is called I5, is because that 5 represents the speed limit around Seattle.. beautiful state just not RV friendly traffic wise..
Old 07-24-2017, 09:28 PM   #7

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #7634
I-84 out where I live is also a "train of trucks". Its too bad we didn't put more into our rail infrastructure and got all those long haul trucks off the roads.

I agree about the studded tires, I haven't run studded tires on my Tacoma pickup ever. If its that slick I might need them, then I wait another day till the roads improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut214 View Post
Two words come to mind immediately especially driving I-5... SLOW SLOW and TRUCKS. There is a virtual train of trucks every time I drive from PDX to Corvallis and they are pretty aggressive in their lane changes only to take 3 miles to pass the truck in front of them.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:40 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #1067
Quote:
I grew up in Oregon, spent 21 years in the Navy and moved back to Oregon for 20 years, and now spend nearly 6 months a year in Oregon so no need. Oregon has changed a LOT! Two words come to mind immediately especially driving I-5... SLOW SLOW and TRUCKS. There is a virtual train of trucks every time I drive from PDX to Corvallis and they are pretty aggressive in their lane changes only to take 3 miles to pass the truck in front of them. The rutted out roads I hate and for me the sooner they outlaw studded tires the better. I do love Oregon however but just couldn't take the valley rain any longer on a permanent basis.
Just for the record and because people get offended so damn quick my post was not meant to bash any one state but to provide information and my own opinion. One thing for certain though some states the people are just plain friendly and some they are not.
Come to Western Colorado. We're friendly as the dickens out here.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:18 PM   #9

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: California
THOR #5906
Saw this thread and had to add my experience. We just got back on Monday for being on the road a month. Southern California to Utah to Idaho to Montana to Canada back into Idaho to Washington to Oregon and finally back to California.

Best Roads Montana and Oregon
Worst Roads - Washington State

Most Scenic stretch of road - Montana
Least Scenic stretch of road - Eastern Washington State

Crossing into Canada in your rv - easy
Crossing back into the US in your rv - question after question

Best Campground we stayed at - Waterton in Alberta Canada (just amazing views)
Old 07-28-2017, 04:34 PM   #10

THOR #3610
What we've found is if there's a bad stretch of highway it's usually made worse by the repairs. Countless times we've run off a good stretch onto a fresh resurfaced stretch & it terrible, especially the bridge/overpass transitions, by the time you see the gouges in the pavement it's too late to slow down. Concrete roads are like riding the waves in a boat, do they not own a level on their equipment. And this is in every state.
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-28-2017, 05:21 PM   #11

THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmark View Post
Saw this thread and had to add my experience. We just got back on Monday for being on the road a month. Southern California to Utah to Idaho to Montana to Canada back into Idaho to Washington to Oregon and finally back to California.

I agree with pretty much your entire post but will add one thing. Crossing in to Canada really late at night when there is no line at all and you think your going to breeze through has both times resulted in a complete search of my rig and felt a little like crossing back into the US but worse. We were basically detained and questioned for over an hour. I've been told this is when they do training and with 6 people involved in the search I think they may be right.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:22 PM   #12

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: California
THOR #5906
Crazy ya we left Montana very early in the morning to arrive at the Canada border around 6:30 am to avoid long lines. Only two cars in front of us.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:07 PM   #13

Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Georgia
THOR #6681
Quote:

[emoji106]
Old 07-28-2017, 10:10 PM   #14

THOR #1067
Quote:

I've heard that you need a passport to get into Canada now, and that if you have had a DUI in the US you can't get into Canada at all. Any truth to any of that?
Old 07-28-2017, 10:42 PM   #15

THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26 View Post
I've heard that you need a passport to get into Canada now, and that if you have had a DUI in the US you can't get into Canada at all. Any truth to any of that?
Passport yes! DUI there are ways you can get in (legally) but they don't have to let you in. I think it depends on the circumstances of the DUI. There's plenty of information on the Internet about this that's accurate.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:58 PM   #16

State: Texas
THOR #2121
I saw a report in a car magazine a while back (can't recall which one) that the worst drivers in country were in Dade County (Miami area), Florida.

Don't know for sure but seems plausible. Drivers in southeast Florida on average aren't as courteous as most Texans in my opinion.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:05 PM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Passport yes! DUI there are ways you can get in (legally) but they don't have to let you in. I think it depends on the circumstances of the DUI. There's plenty of information on the Internet about this that's accurate.
If you live in a state that provides "Enhanced" driver's licenses you can use that to get into/out of Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean.

https://www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers...-what-are-they
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:14 PM   #18

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I saw a report in a car magazine a while back (can't recall which one) that the worst drivers in country were in Dade County (Miami area), Florida.

Don't know for sure but seems plausible. Drivers in southeast Florida on average aren't as courteous as most Texans in my opinion.
Since moving to SW Florida I suppose we are just getting used to the rude drivers. We are still on our 4 month summer trip covering Alabama, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Canada, Montana, S. Dakota, Minn., and Wisconsin. Never experienced as rude of driver's as in SW Florida!
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:59 PM   #19

THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
Since moving to SW Florida I suppose we are just getting used to the rude drivers. We are still on our 4 month summer trip covering Alabama, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Canada, Montana, S. Dakota, Minn., and Wisconsin. Never experienced as rude of driver's as in SW Florida!
I notice Arizona is not on your list. Specifically Phoenix I think would make SW Florida #2.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:20 PM   #20

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
I'm spending a lot of time in Palm Beach county on Atlantic side, and occassionally go to Ft Lauderdale or Miami airports. Drivers here are much worse in my opinion than when I travel to Ft Myers or other areas along Gulf Coast. There are a lot of drivers who don't read English, don't know the rules, and even when they do, they don't think it applies to them.

The other day I took my dad to a doctor's appointment, and I had an SOB give me an angry horn "preemptively". First time I've ever seen or heard such a thing. Apparently he was warning me in advance that he expected me to move quickly once the light turned green -- this while light was still red. Freaking incredible.

And sure enough, once we turned left at intersection he passed me on right side doing at least twice the speed limit.