Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2023, 05:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
Recent trip to Keys

Wanted to share our last trip in case anyone thinking of something similar.
Left Charlotte area in the evening and drove down 77 to 26 (about 2 hours to a Cracker Barrel near Orangeburg SC). Spent the night and ate. Woke up and was on the road by 6AM. Headed down 26 to 95. 95 a little rough in SC, nice in GA and FL. Stopped at a Camping World south of Jacksonville to stretch our legs, ate in the camper, and let the Doberman run (now my wife wants a Delano/Tiberon-funny, we went from 37ft to 35ft to 31ft, and now maybe 24ft). From there drove to Ft. Lauderdale KOA by about 4. In all, about 10 hours driving from house. That KOA had bad reviews, but we thought it was nice for a one night stop over. Woke up the next morning and drove to Boyd's Campground on Stock Island (next to Key West). Took our time, stopping a lot to enjoy the 80 degree plus weather and the turquoise water. Set up camp and some friends flew in to spend a couple of days with us. Stock Island and Boyd's is very conducive for ebikes. Between Hogsbreath, Perry Hotel, Sloppy Joe's, The Docks, etc., plenty of entertainment. Used Uber to go to Key West proper one night to be tourists. Friends flew home (and our livers thanked us) and we headed to Blue Water RV Resort for a few days (about 7 miles). Expensive but worth it. Besides kayaking, I don't think we left the campsite. From there off to Sugarloaf KOA (about 13 miles). Another few days there of riding ebikes, eating at Mangrove Mamas, renting boats (right at campground dock) to fish, kayaking, etc. The KOA has a great pool and bar, normally not my thing but everybody is so happy there! On road again by about 6AM and drove to Flagler Beach (about 6-7 hours/half way home). Stayed at Beverly Beach Campground. Super tight spots but the ocean is literally 20 feet away from front bumper. Also a very conducive spot for ebikes. Lots of restaurants and bars just a few miles south on nice bike path. After a few days headed back home (about 7 hours). Camper, wife, and dog did well. A few issues- lever on screen door had to be adjusted so the screen door opens with regular door, screw in shower worked itself loose (second time but its not going anywhere now!), strap that holds one of batteries down came loose (I put in new batteries last summer, probably didn't fasten it correctly), and when putting down levelers at Sugarloaf, the back left one had some hydraulic fluid in the shoe. Climbed under there and turned a bolt a quarter turn and was fine the rest of the trip (it was obvious where the leak was). I'm guessing all of these issues are from the 25,000 miles on some rough roads we've put on her in less than three years (the guy across from me had a mobile rv repair man out and I asked him to come over to check out the hydraulic and he said just loose, gave him a beer and no charge). I asked him what he worked on the most (keep in mind that most every camper there was $$$). He said Tiffin and Renegade pay for his kids college (lots of moving parts, lots to fix). Another interesting note, got 560 miles out of one tank of gas (gotta love those flat roads). This is the third time we've done this exact trip (except we tacked on Flagler this time) in the last year. Treat yourself and get water front sites at all the campgrounds. It's really fun and stress free, but now I have to go back to work (although off to Cheraw State Park this Thursday).Click image for larger version

Name:	20230123_072245.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	40774

Old 02-08-2023, 05:17 PM   #2

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Sounds like a wonderful trip. Thanks for posting this.
Old 02-09-2023, 01:51 AM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Thanks for sharing! Our last camping trip to the Keys we stayed at Curry Hammock St Park near Marathon. Bahia Honda SP is in the same area. Both are great. We had a car and it was a short drive to Key West.
Old 02-09-2023, 01:29 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Wanted to share our last trip in case anyone thinking of something similar.
Left Charlotte area in the evening and drove down 77 to 26 (about 2 hours to a Cracker Barrel near Orangeburg SC). Spent the night and ate. Woke up and was on the road by 6AM. Headed down 26 to 95. 95 a little rough in SC, nice in GA and FL. Stopped at a Camping World south of Jacksonville to stretch our legs, ate in the camper, and let the Doberman run (now my wife wants a Delano/Tiberon-funny, we went from 37ft to 35ft to 31ft, and now maybe 24ft). From there drove to Ft. Lauderdale KOA by about 4. In all, about 10 hours driving from house. That KOA had bad reviews, but we thought it was nice for a one night stop over. Woke up the next morning and drove to Boyd's Campground on Stock Island (next to Key West). Took our time, stopping a lot to enjoy the 80 degree plus weather and the turquoise water. Set up camp and some friends flew in to spend a couple of days with us. Stock Island and Boyd's is very conducive for ebikes. Between Hogsbreath, Perry Hotel, Sloppy Joe's, The Docks, etc., plenty of entertainment. Used Uber to go to Key West proper one night to be tourists. Friends flew home (and our livers thanked us) and we headed to Blue Water RV Resort for a few days (about 7 miles). Expensive but worth it. Besides kayaking, I don't think we left the campsite. From there off to Sugarloaf KOA (about 13 miles). Another few days there of riding ebikes, eating at Mangrove Mamas, renting boats (right at campground dock) to fish, kayaking, etc. The KOA has a great pool and bar, normally not my thing but everybody is so happy there! On road again by about 6AM and drove to Flagler Beach (about 6-7 hours/half way home). Stayed at Beverly Beach Campground. Super tight spots but the ocean is literally 20 feet away from front bumper. Also a very conducive spot for ebikes. Lots of restaurants and bars just a few miles south on nice bike path. After a few days headed back home (about 7 hours). Camper, wife, and dog did well. A few issues- lever on screen door had to be adjusted so the screen door opens with regular door, screw in shower worked itself loose (second time but its not going anywhere now!), strap that holds one of batteries down came loose (I put in new batteries last summer, probably didn't fasten it correctly), and when putting down levelers at Sugarloaf, the back left one had some hydraulic fluid in the shoe. Climbed under there and turned a bolt a quarter turn and was fine the rest of the trip (it was obvious where the leak was). I'm guessing all of these issues are from the 25,000 miles on some rough roads we've put on her in less than three years (the guy across from me had a mobile rv repair man out and I asked him to come over to check out the hydraulic and he said just loose, gave him a beer and no charge). I asked him what he worked on the most (keep in mind that most every camper there was $$$). He said Tiffin and Renegade pay for his kids college (lots of moving parts, lots to fix). Another interesting note, got 560 miles out of one tank of gas (gotta love those flat roads). This is the third time we've done this exact trip (except we tacked on Flagler this time) in the last year. Treat yourself and get water front sites at all the campgrounds. It's really fun and stress free, but now I have to go back to work (although off to Cheraw State Park this Thursday).Attachment 40774
Nice golf course at Cheraw!
Old 02-09-2023, 05:26 PM   #5

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Nice golf course at Cheraw!
Yeah, moved it to November though. Looks like a ton of rain this weekend. Bummed.