Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2022, 12:30 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Wonderful thread. Keep it up and the pictures flowing. In my spare time, I can sit in my RV and pretend, and then get back to pretending to be at work Glag I don't work for Tesla.

We visited Antietam a few years back and we did not even know it was on our route. It was the most amazing of Interstate venture we ever took. I still can't grasp how many fought and died in that war. And when you visit and see the many more that were wounded and maimed it was even more tragic.

Safe Travels

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:13 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
We’ll be in Nashville in 3 weeks. I’m going to reserve a day to drive down to Shiloh. Thanks for the great narrative!
Old 07-05-2022, 10:29 PM   #23

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
We’ll be in Nashville in 3 weeks. I’m going to reserve a day to drive down to Shiloh. Thanks for the great narrative!

We were just in Nashville two days ago. Stayed at the Two Rivers campground out by the Grand Ole Opry. Not a bad place. Tucked in between a Camping World and a Gander RV. Got to watch RV prep and PDIs while drinking a beer - pitiful PDIs. There is a shuttle to downtown for $10 per person round trip - worth the $$$. We didn’t care for Nashville - seems to be the new party spot. We don’t care for C&W music either but the show at the Opry was top notch.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:25 AM   #24

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Utah
THOR #19910
Thanks for the kind words! It's actually been a blast to write.

Nashville was fun for us the first time... Now it's more of a pain to visit IMHO. I would go back to see a performance of the Opry, but we always seem to miss the darn things.

We saw Two Rivers on the way back after staying at Seven Points, it looks like a nice spot.

If you can spare the time, you won't regret visiting Shiloh. And try Hagy's! It's awesome, even if you don't like catfish!

After Shiloh, we're adding a trip concentrated on visiting the major Civil War battlefields to the bucket list.

Although Piney Bay was beautiful, the weather was not. 102 degrees and 100% humidity. We tried to sit out at 7pm, and it was still 99 degrees and felt like you were wearing a wool blanket over your cold weather gear. I spent 5 years over 2 postings in the Army, and cannot ever remember such an oppressive heat. When we woke up this morning to 92 degree heat and 95% humidity at 6am, the boss gently suggested we ditch our plans and head for the hills - the Colorado Hills.

We had planned on staying at another COE park in northern OK, followed by a night in Dodge City, KS (I really wanted to notch another historic cowboy town in my belt!), but this whole area is under an extreme heat warning for the next 3 days!

We were scheduled to be in La Veta, CO on the 7th, but the nice folks at Circle the Wagons RV Park were able to get us an extra day on the front end.

So, we shoved off from central AR at 7am with the idea that we'd drive 'til we had to stop, or it got reasonably cool, with our goal to be in La Veta on the 6th. After nearly 12 hours of driving and more than 600 miles, we're squatting in the little town on Clayton, NM. I'm not sure I've ever had as much fun driving as I did today. We saw parts of 3 states we'd have never seen any other way, found half a dozen neat little towns with friendly folks and CHEAP DIESEL! Well, as cheap as you find it these days, $4.99 a gallon.

So we sit just a bit under a 150 miles from La Veta, and the temp tonight is a wonderful 65 degrees, and no perceptible humidity. And they have antelope! Feels like home already.

We did manage to salvage some fun from the Piney Bay area though. We visited the Museum of Automobiles near Morrilton, AR. The museum sits atop Petit Jean Mountain (more of a hill, really), and features a small but wonderful collection of classic cars from early Ford perambulators, to muscle cars from the 60s. The museum was backed by, and sits in the middle of the ranch of, Winthrop Rockefeller. Winthrop was the fourth son of John D., and became the first Republican Governor of Arkansas since Reconstruction. Winthrop was also a cattle rancher and car enthusiast. Several of the vehicles in the collection are owned or loaned by the Winthrop and his family.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4131.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	38541   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4133.jpg
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	38542  

Name:	IMG_4130.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	38543   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4134.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	38544  

2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi (TOAD!)
2013 Harley FLHCUI
Greybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 01:09 PM   #25

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybear View Post
More pics from GSMNP:

Blue Ridge Parkway views

The Farm Exhibit at the South Visitor Center

Mingus Mill

Foothills Parkway
Spent several years in Knoxville, Chattanooga area and rode my motorcycle all over the Blue Ridge Parkway many times

Enjoying your post
Old 07-07-2022, 09:56 AM   #26

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Michigan
THOR #20290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
This has been a great travelogue. I love hearing folks experiences and "revisiting" places we've been on past road trips. Thank you all.

One of our road trips, just prior to buying our MH, was down the Natchez Trace. Lots there to see and learn. I'm literally just now getting those photos into one of my many travel scrapbooks.

One of our side trips was to Shiloh. Definitely go! We got there late in the day and I wish we had had more time, but it was still a great stop. The cemetery is quite moving. Also take in the neighboring Indian mounds and, if you can, a sunset over the river.

Even more so, go to the NPS interpretive center at Corinth. I'd never heard of that battle. It was most enlightening and probably some of the best interpretations I've seen at any of the national parks. We learned a ton!

Make sure to take in the ranger presentation at the reflecting pool. I won't say more; you need to experience it for yourself. If the red haired ranger, sorry his name escapes me just now, is still there, he is an amazing wealth of knowledge and totally into his subject matter.

Another don't miss part of this park is the Contraband Camp. That was a piece of history that I had never heard of. Quite interesting.
Old 07-07-2022, 11:14 AM   #27

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
I just wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying your vacation... vicariously! I keep getting notices of updates and posts about 3 days after they are posted, so didn't realize y'all were in our neighborhood! Newport KOA is just a hop from our home in Dandridge! Would have loved to have bought you a coffee!
Keep enjoying your vacation and making us smile!
Safe travels!

~nancy
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:29 PM   #28
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwife View Post
This has been a great travelogue. I love hearing folks experiences and "revisiting" places we've been on past road trips. Thank you all.

One of our road trips, just prior to buying our MH, was down the Natchez Trace. Lots there to see and learn. I'm literally just now getting those photos into one of my many travel scrapbooks.

One of our side trips was to Shiloh. Definitely go! We got there late in the day and I wish we had had more time, but it was still a great stop. The cemetery is quite moving. Also take in the neighboring Indian mounds and, if you can, a sunset over the river.

Even more so, go to the NPS interpretive center at Corinth. I'd never heard of that battle. It was most enlightening and probably some of the best interpretations I've seen at any of the national parks. We learned a ton!

Make sure to take in the ranger presentation at the reflecting pool. I won't say more; you need to experience it for yourself. If the red haired ranger, sorry his name escapes me just now, is still there, he is an amazing wealth of knowledge and totally into his subject matter.

Another don't miss part of this park is the Contraband Camp. That was a piece of history that I had never heard of. Quite interesting.
I believe that Corinth is where the battle of Shiloh started and took place. A very famous battle of the Civil War, or if you are from the south, The War Between The States.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:12 AM   #29

THOR #20290
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
I believe that Corinth is where the battle of Shiloh started and took place. A very famous battle of the Civil War, or if you are from the south, The War Between The States.
You are correct. Corinth was pivotal to the war's outcome. I don't know why I had never heard of it before. I must have been absent from history class that day. I find it hard to believe that our northern school didn't teach that piece of history.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:21 AM   #30

THOR #19910
Again, thanks for the kind words!

Calico, I think we drove through Dandridge in our crisscross exploration of the area! What a neat part of the world!

As for Corinth, it's importance was that it was the junction of the two most important railways for the South. IIRC, one of the railroads was the South's only rail line to the Atlantic coast, and cutting it off also cut the major Confederate Supply line to the southeast. The fighting at Shiloh happened because Johnston was able to intercept the Union Troops at Pittsburgh Landing before they could get there.

Unfortunately we didn't get down there, but that just means a return trip!

We spent two really nice days in La Veta, CO! When I was planning the return leg of our trip, I needed a midway point between Dodge City, KS and Grand Junction, CO.. I also knew I did NOT want to go through Denver! I hate that place with a white hot passion. So, since Dodge City is south, it was either route through Gunnison or Durango. We've been to Durango a bunch, and had never been through Gunnison, so that was decided. La Veta was almost exactly halfway, and was supposed to be a quick overnight stop.

Once, we got burned out of OK and KS, we decided to spend more time in La Veta, and man did that decision pay off! The La Veta valley is at the south end of the Rockies, more specifically the Sangre de Cristo subrange. Sitting at about 7000 ft above sea level, the temps are perfect in the summer, with warm days and cool nights. Entering the La Veta valley is like dropping into Shangri La. Verdant, surrounded by mountains that just rise up in front of you in every direction, the town sits along the Cuchara River.

Along the way, we came across Capulin Volcano National Monument. It's one of the best examples of a cinder cone type of volcano in the U.S.. We could only spare a quick visit, but plan to explore more fully next trip down this way.

We stayed in a little mom and pop campground called Circle the Wagons. About 3 dozen sites, all back in, but covered in mature trees, and right along the river. Dead quiet, and well kept, it was the best camp of the trip hands down.

La Veta is about 45 miles north of Trinidad, CO, and 63 miles south of Pueblo, CO. We managed to do a bit of sightseeing in both places. We also visited some small towns along the road to Cuchara Pass, a wonderful scenic byway trip.

Today we hit the road to Grand Junction, CO, another destination we've visited a bunch. This time, however, we took the Gunnison route along Hwy 50, allowing us to get some glimpses of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. Because of major construction on Hwy 50 (2 hour delay!), we didn't have time to stop this time, but it's on the list for the next visit to La Veta and Gunnison. We also put Great Sand Dunes National Park near Poncha Springs on that same list.

We're out at the break of dawn for the final leg home tomorrow. What a great trip!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4135.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	38582   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4137.jpg
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	38583  

Name:	IMG_4140.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	38584  
2013 Harley FLHCUI
Old 07-09-2022, 10:13 AM   #31

THOR #20290
Sounds like continuing fun times! We enjoyed our fall 2021 trip so much; Rt 66 Illinois to New Mexico then home roughly via the Santa Fe trail. We too came through Trinidad, CO; neat little place to spend a half day walking around and ended up at Capulin Volcano NP.

Capulin was one of the highlights of our trip. I had discovered, prior to leaving home, that due to a road shoulder washout a few years back we wouldn't be able to take the MH up to the top of the cone.

What a disappointment, but it turned into something even better. Late in the day, they close the road to vehicle traffic and folks can hike or bike up the 2 mile road. We had brought our e-bikes just for that. WOW. Sooo cool. Perfect weather, fantastic views, we had the whole place to ourselves. The most fun bike ride I've taken to date!

We stayed at a little mom & pop campground right at the base, not the same one you were at though. We'll have to check out "yours" on a return trip. We are definitely planning a return since there was lots of northwest NM we did not get to on that trip and also want to see Black Canyon of the Gunnison.
Old 07-10-2022, 12:55 AM   #32

THOR #19910
For sure if you didn't get over to La Veta, Stonewall and Cuchara, it's worth a return trip.

Trinidad was cool in that a lot of the old buildings have been preserved. We grabbed lunch at the Las Animas Bar and Grill. Cool ambience, and pretty good grub.

Capulin had a 30 foot restriction on the rim road, so we were out of luck. We thought about taking the toad up, but were pushing to get to the campground before it closed.

The trip through Ft. Garland, Alamosa, Poncha Springs and Gunnison was amazing. On Hwy 50, you just catch a glimpse of the Black Canyon near Gunnison Reservoir. We're heading back with the Harley so we can take 92 out to Crawford, which is supposed to be a bucket list ride.

Safe travels!
2013 Harley FLHCUI
Old 07-10-2022, 05:36 PM   #33

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
When you're in that area throw in Crested Butte for at least a day. Great place to hang out and relax. Especially the original town and several places great for lunch.

We usually camp to the West off the HI way at a resort for a week or more. The only drawback in the area is very poor cell service.