Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #1

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
road trip

Planning trip from Chattanooga, Tennessee to Yellowstone. How many weeks should I allow and what month should I go. Only stopping to sleep over night. No sight seeing out or back. Spending one week around Yellowstone.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:33 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Colorado
THOR #1497
How many miles a day do you like to drive?

I have found this online planning program to be extremely useful in planning my trips and finding campgrounds. Home of the Best RV Trip Planner Ever - Give it a try!

The program lets you set up distance circles (based on your preferences) from each location you overnight, Very helpful in trip planning. You can also export your trip to a spreadsheet when done.

There is a yearly subscription to use the site...I think 50/yr or so.

When I find a campground I look it up on campgroundreviews.com and see if it meets my needs.

I am not affiliated with either product, just like to use them.

I've been to Yellowstone several times. I think September/October is a good time to go. Jun/Jul/Aug is going to put you smack dab in summer vacation. Just be careful in Oct...they start shutting some of the services and campgrounds down - check online to see when this happens.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:19 PM   #3
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Planning trip from Chattanooga, Tennessee to Yellowstone. How many weeks should I allow and what month should I go. Only stopping to sleep over night. No sight seeing out or back. Spending one week around Yellowstone.
I googled Chattanooga to Yellowstone...1765 miles, 25 hours of driving time...
that is coming up to St. Louis...I70 over to Kansas City...then this map sez take I29 up to I80 in Nebraska...and across...
We were on I80 across Nebraska , June 2015, and it is very rough...You could take I70 across to Denver..then North on I25 to Cheyenne and on to Casper .. then US hiways to Yellowstone...Beautiful country...
There are many trip apps out there...but, it is hard to beat the Google app..
We were in Yellowstone in August...you can check the weather patterns of the areas you are traveling.
I agree with Greg and the information he offered.
Have fun !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:29 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
We did a road trip (no RV) to Yellowstone last year in mid-September.

The weather was beautiful.

BUT...many things (hotels, campgrounds, facilities, AND entrances) start closing up around the first of October. We were surprised at how many places were already closed, and many more preparing to do so. Not sure what part(s) of Yellowstone you plan to visit, but you should double check the availability of services when you make your plans.

Hope you enjoy your trip...sounds wonderful!
Old 05-02-2016, 01:31 AM   #5

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Fairly easy to do the math on how long. It depends on how fast you intend to drive and how long each day. Do you have a toad or will you rent a car?

Best advise - plan NOW for RV space in Yellowstone area. We stayed at Buffalo Bill State Park and at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone. There maybe some available space in Yellowstone NP but I doubt it. Cody, Wy, is an interesting place. We were fortunate to be there when for the Plains Indian Museum Powwow. This year it is June 18 - 19, 2016. Here is a link:Plains Indian Museum Powwow, a Pow Wow in Cody, Wyoming

As you plan your trip PAY CLOSE ATTENTION to rv routes. Some can get ugly quick. I used this site that offers an in depth review of the various routes.
Road to Yellowstone

I'd strongly encourage you to take a bit longer mileage trip on the way out or on the way back - Mt Rushmore!!!