Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2022, 04:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 24FE
State: Washington
THOR #23201
Route 66

This summer we’re going to take our M/H and go down to Santa Monica,Ca and drive to Chicago on Route 66 (or what’s left of it) Does anyone that’s made the drive have tips on what to miss/not miss?

Old 01-17-2022, 04:45 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Parts of it are horrible
Rattles and potholes cannot bother you or you cannot go.
The stretch from exit 123 on i40, through Kingman, Oatman and ending at the Moabi campground is the best.
You'll be coming the other way.
Look up moabi.
Its right on the Colorado River and about the best example of a 1940's 66 camp.

There's a restored Harvey house at Kelso California.
Look up Two Guns Arizona. A short stop right off the i40 gets you a nice odd area and a chance to drive over a route 66 bridge that not 1:12,000,000 travellers has ever seen.
The Harvey house in winslow arizona is magnificent and had a Michelin quality restaurant(but it was slightly off key on our last visit).

Petrified forest and painted desert is best done on their loop at about 55mph.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:50 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
We drove Route 66 many years ago from the east to California. We bought a paperback book on driving route 66 that aided us on keeping on the old route. Inside there were tips on places to visit while on the route like the Lincoln Motel in Oklahoma or Granny's kitchen for a meal. Some places on the old route were not clearly defined on the roadway, but the book we had gave us the correct directions in each state to follow. It was a lot of fun to see the old sights and visit some of the spots in the book.

Paul
Old 01-17-2022, 06:08 PM   #4

THOR #23201
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
We drove Route 66 many years ago from the east to California. We bought a paperback book on driving route 66 that aided us on keeping on the old route. Inside there were tips on places to visit while on the route like the Lincoln Motel in Oklahoma or Granny's kitchen for a meal. Some places on the old route were not clearly defined on the roadway, but the book we had gave us the correct directions in each state to follow. It was a lot of fun to see the old sights and visit some of the spots in the book.

Paul
Do you happen to remember the name of the book?
Old 01-17-2022, 11:08 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
We managed to see it all over the years on various trips going both East and West. Some of what we saw in early years is no longer open, and some bridges are now closed due to safety, but there are many things to still see and do. This youtube is pretty good going west to east, and hits on a lot of things to see, and places to eat. You can also follow them on youtube for more info about Route 66.

Old 01-17-2022, 11:39 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Hi Racefan

I don't remember the actual title but I think I have the book inside our motor home which is in storage right now. If you google Route 66 books you can find several books that offer the same information(maps/atlas) as well as descriptions state by state as well as the history of Route 66. I will pm you once I go to the motor home and find the book with the title.

Paul
Old 01-18-2022, 01:05 AM   #7

THOR #23201
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
We managed to see it all over the years on various trips going both East and West. Some of what we saw in early years is no longer open, and some bridges are now closed due to safety, but there are many things to still see and do. This youtube is pretty good going west to east, and hits on a lot of things to see, and places to eat. You can also follow them on youtube for more info about Route 66.

Great video👍
Old 01-19-2022, 05:37 AM   #8

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Michigan
THOR #20290
We did parts of Rt 66 in 2 trips this past year, traveling from the east westward. We're from Michgan so these were our journeys:

Spring trip started south of Chicago. We didn't want to take the MH through or near the city for obvious traffic reasons. Spent an overnight as a Harvest Host stop in Pontiac, IL. Tons of small town fun. They have a great mural walk around town, cute little painted cars that are out on the sidewalks seasonally. There are a number of fun small museums, including the Rt 66 museum. Be sure to visit the museum of the Gilding Arts. That was amazing. Contact their chamber. They'll send you some really useful brochures and are SUPER friendly. We definitely want to stop there again. Love the place.

Lots of other Rt 66 photo ops in IL. Google and you'll see there is a whole flyer on the route taking you through the state. We found that quite helpful. Many venues were not open since we were traveling somewhat soon post covid lockdowns, but there was still plenty to see. Springfield, IL has Rt 66 sites too, but we were really after the Lincoln sites there. You should do those. The relatively new Lincoln Museum is a must see. Check ahead. At the time we went they had timed entry reservations to keep the crowds down and spread out.

Fall trip picked up where we left off. Our destination for that trip was ultimately New Mexico; following Rt 66 to get there. Check out the Motorheads Bar & Grill south of Springfield. We actually were there early in the morning since that is how our timing worked out. I actually enjoyed that better. It was closed at that time of day, but there were so many great photos to be taken without excess parking lot traffic. (We were actually trying to avoid crowed venues, so all was good.)

Biggest hint: allow yourself much more time than you think you will need. We discovered this on the first day. We had been way too ambitious in planning how much we could see and enjoy in a day. Ended up deciding to skip some of the bigger cities en route with the idea of coming back and spending more time in the future.

Other highlights for us:
  • Cuba, MO mural city (detect a theme here? Ya, I love public art and murals.)
  • Just SE of St Louis - Cahokia Mounds. Technically also not Rt 66, but if you are that close you should stop. They are amazing. We were there years ago when our kids were young.
  • The very small section that cuts thru Kansas. It has a number of spots that were inspirations for the Pixar movie, Cars. Cute and great fun to put in the scrapbook.
  • Palo Duro canyon outside Amarillo, TX. Try to spend a few nights camped here. It is amazingly beautiful.

If you have a sense of humor, Uranus, MO. LOTS of bad bathroom humor, but hubby loved it. Biggest tourist trap ever and not really an original Rt 66 site at all. But quite the laugh if you can stand it.

As mentioned up thread, get a good guide book or two. I took several out of our library. They obviously had overlap but each had some sites that were not in the others. Perspective and interest of the individual authors.

Missouri and Texas will be HOT, even with AC. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. We came through in September and still found the heat and humidity almost stifling on a few days.

So many more highlights. Many are rundown old relics, but somehow it just added to the mystique. Give yourself time and be prepared to have a ton of quirky fun. We can't wait to travel the remaining legs of the trip sometime soon.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:26 PM   #9

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
Be sure to take a picture in front of the flat-bed Ford on the corner in Winslow, AZ.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:45 PM   #10

THOR #23201
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTig View Post
Be sure to take a picture in front of the flat-bed Ford on the corner in Winslow, AZ.
I told my wife I HAVE to stand on the corner in Winslow,Az and look for a girl in a flat bed ford. She looked at me like I was from another planet until I played the song😁
Old 01-21-2022, 07:06 PM   #11

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
California border to Seligman AZ is fun. The California border is a little confusing and not well marked. Western Oklahoma has some interesting roadside curbing and bridges that are somewhat unique. The road east of Vineta Oklahoma has original pavement that is 9 ft. wide. Take your time and make every stop is our advice. Oh buy a guide or 3, especially the States that have a RT historical society.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170424_134536481_HDR.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	35716  
Old 01-21-2022, 08:16 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan View Post
I told my wife I HAVE to stand on the corner in Winslow,Az and look for a girl in a flat bed ford. She looked at me like I was from another planet until I played the song��
The flat bed is actually there. And look in the 3rd window of the motel. Someone beat you to it

Fun fact: Grand Canyon and Santa Fe are not actually on Rt66 but very popular detours for rt66 travelers in its hay day.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!

Some links that might help:
http://www.historic66.com/
https://route66map.publishpath.com/W...t66terrain.htm
https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/route66/index.html
http://national66.org/
https://www.theroute-66.com/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190327_105940.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	35718   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190327_105253.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	35719  

Old 01-23-2022, 05:31 PM   #13

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
The flat bed is actually there. And look in the 3rd window of the motel. Someone beat you to it

Fun fact: Grand Canyon and Santa Fe are not actually on Rt66 but very popular detours for rt66 travelers in its hay day.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!

Some links that might help:
http://www.historic66.com/
https://route66map.publishpath.com/W...t66terrain.htm
https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/route66/index.html
http://national66.org/
https://www.theroute-66.com/

When were your pics taken? We’ve got pics (taken in April 2018) from that corner, but the first and third windows (from the left) are gone and replaced by brick, although you can see the outline of the old windows.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:11 PM   #14

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTig View Post
When were your pics taken? We’ve got pics (taken in April 2018) from that corner, but the first and third windows (from the left) are gone and replaced by brick, although you can see the outline of the old windows.
March 27, 2019. What you see in the pics is just the façade. If you walk around the back side, it's a major disappointment. The windows obviously aren't really windows but painted brick. This must have been done after you were there.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:23 PM   #15

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan View Post
I told my wife I HAVE to stand on the corner in Winslow,Az and look for a girl in a flat bed ford. She looked at me like I was from another planet until I played the song😁
Whaaaattt? Take it easy was my high school theme song. 4 that want to own me, 2 that want to stone me, one says she’s a friend of mine. Those 7 women are always on my mind!
Old 01-23-2022, 09:16 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Well the facade was there when we were there back in 2013:

Name:	DSC_0468.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	35794