Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2016, 07:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 35SK Super C
State: Missouri
THOR #711
Route Help Please

Hello all. We will leave the Kansas City area heading to Phoenix (Ft McDowell) December 27th. Weather permitting, we would like to take the shortest route. I know our best chance to avoid bad weather through any mountain passes would be straight south to Ft Worth and over to El Pass to catch I-10 and over to Tucson and then up to Phoenix. I would appreciate any other recommended routes from anyone that may have traveled along this route. See my signature for rv type. I will have the jeep wrangler in tow. Thanks for your input.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:16 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Traveling similar route, similar days

My family is leaving Eastern Kentucky early on December 27th, driving to Los Angeles and then up to San Francisco. We plan to drive straight through (three drivers onboard). Planned route is I75 down to Knoxville, and then I40 westbound all the way. If we run into bad weather, we will go down to I10, but otherwise as stated. We are leaving two people in California so on the return trip it will just be me and the Mrs, and she doesn't drive the RV. For the return, we are driving Route 66 eastward to St. Louis, taking 2 to 4 weeks. I had thought about doing a daily blog on the Forums for the return trip...but I need to make sure that is acceptable...anyone know?
Old 12-04-2016, 10:53 PM   #3

Model: ace 30.1
State: Texas
THOR #5549
Exclamation ramosrv

When you come thru El Paso the I-10 lanes going west are sometimes
closed at night, you will be routed off freeway, and on to side road, will
take sometime to get around ..During the day I-10 going both ways are down to one lane , sometimes travel time takes 45 minutes - 1 hr to go through
El Paso . Hope this helps
Old 12-04-2016, 11:22 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Daughter was at the Grand Canyon over Thanksgiving and although they put out winter travel advisory for Sunday she only rain into light snow.

As a general rule the Dallus Ft Worth area doesn't get ice storms quite that early but they can. Otherwise I-20 might be an alternate route.
We leave tomorrow but will take mostly US 84 leaving from FL.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:29 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
How is that Rt. 375 around the east and north of El Paso? Crowded with lots of extra traffic? How long might we expect these detours to continue? Any idea?
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 12-05-2016, 02:27 AM   #6

Model: ace 30.1
State: Texas
THOR #5549
Loop 375 is clear , faster then I-10 , 15-20 min to Transmountain, 15-20 min to go through, I-10 repair to last until summer of 2017
Old 12-05-2016, 02:45 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
To the "sticker patch"(Phoenix) from KC, I would run to Wichita, then route 54 to Tucumcari , and I 40 west to I-17 into Phoenix.
From KY, I would go down to Nashville, take I-40 all the way to I-15 and drop into the LA metro from the north.
I always try to avoid any construction in Metro areas (just a hold over from doing oversize super loads I guess)
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:26 AM   #8

Model: Vegas 27.7
THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
To the "sticker patch"(Phoenix) from KC, I would run to Wichita, then route 54 to Tucumcari , and I 40 west to I-17 into Phoenix.
From KY, I would go down to Nashville, take I-40 all the way to I-15 and drop into the LA metro from the north.
I always try to avoid any construction in Metro areas (just a hold over from doing oversize super loads I guess)
Yea, normally I would take the Cumberland Parkway to I65 and then down to I40 in Nashville, but I have to pick up a passenger in Lafollette, TN this trip.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:19 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
I drove the I-10 last year about the same time period from FL to Las Vegas. The lower you go the better the weather.. you could run I 40 across which is shorter, I think Flagstaff would be the weather issue if any..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskrbina View Post
Hello all. We will leave the Kansas City area heading to Phoenix (Ft McDowell) December 27th. Weather permitting, we would like to take the shortest route. I know our best chance to avoid bad weather through any mountain passes would be straight south to Ft Worth and over to El Pass to catch I-10 and over to Tucson and then up to Phoenix. I would appreciate any other recommended routes from anyone that may have traveled along this route. See my signature for rv type. I will have the jeep wrangler in tow. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:08 PM   #10

Model: Four Winds 35SK Super C
State: Missouri
THOR #711
Thank you all for your reply's. Very helpful.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:33 AM   #11

Model: Challenger 37TB
THOR #1020
Be careful on I40. We have made the trip many times - three times now in our RV. The caution needs to be some of the higher altitude passes can have black ice that sneaks up on you. As others have said, pay close attention to the weather. Just our 2 cents.