Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2016, 05:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: FE22 (traded)
State: North Carolina
THOR #4681
Routing from NC to Maine

Hello all, new to the sight with a new Thor Freedom Elite 22FE. Me and the Mrs are getting ready to head to Portland ME. from our home in NC just off I95, and I was concerned with the RV restrictions as far as the tunnels and bridges. Good Sam has us going straight through NYC but I was under the impression that going across the GW Bridge wasn't permitted and I know that some of the tunnels dont permit LPG. I put the restrictions on the mapping system but it didnt change the route. Any help would be appreciated. We are trying to get to our destination as quickly as possible do to limited time for the trip.
Thanks in advance for any and all help/suggestions.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:11 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I drove up I-95 from Florida to Maine last week -- I'm presently on my way south. Maine was great, much better than I expected -- visited Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor area. We will definitely return for longer stay.

We went through New York City area, but in a low profile van so it won't be as much help. I can only add a couple of problem areas.

I was following Google directions and found myself on the lower level of the bridge, where trucks (and I assume RVs) are not allowed. There were trucks on upper level as I recall. Did not notice motorhomes specifically since I was on lower level with cars and SUVs.

On east side of bridge we were routed north along 9A, the Henry Hudson Parkway, which you should avoid. There were many overpasses with clearances as low as 9'-2" at edge of road. I think that I-95 northbound would probably have been OK from an elevation standpoint since trucks have to get to all cities.

On way back south I decided to stay west of New York City area to avoid the traffic that was horrendous on Friday afternoon on way north. Perhaps it's not as bad mid-week, but on a Friday traffic was way too slow for me.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:03 PM   #3

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Just returned from there on Tues. We go up most every summer and usually use I-77 to I-81 to I-84 and cross the Hudson at NewBurgh, NY. Toll is cheaper there than at the Tappanzee. Then continue I-84 to Mass Pike to I-290 at Worcestor to I-495 to I-95 and points north to ME.
Depending on where you are starting from in NC, you may want to look at taking I-64 from Richmond or US 17 from Fredricksburg to I-81 via I-66.
Above is more or less the express route for an RV to New England. If you go thru DC and NY on I-95, you can expect traffic and tolls.
Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip and congrats on your new coach.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:30 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #1592
rv s are not allowed on the GW Bridge.Avoid New York City area at all costs! use the Tappan Zee bridge,then take 287 to 95 all the way to Maine.For some reason all of the trip routing companies don't get it!I have Good Sam , AAA,and Coach Net and have found all three constantly putting me in places I shouldn't be!
Old 08-12-2016, 02:37 PM   #5

THOR #4681
Thanks all for the info... I love this forum, you can always get great quality information from experienced travelers!!
Old 08-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #6

Model: Palazzo 35.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #2831
Also, the tunnels in Baltimore are a no-no if you have propane in your RV. You can take the easterly route ( going across the Francis Scott Key Bridge - TOLL ) or take the westerly route around the Baltimore Beltway, only slightly longer, but no tolls. BUT, if I were coming up I95 from the south, I would take the Capital Beltway east to US 50, take that across Chesapeake Bay Bridge ( TOLL ), then stay on US 301 into Delaware, which eventually becomes Delaware Rt 896, take to I95 North. Your choice of taking the NJ TPK, and can't help you much up in Northern NJ. Have a safe trip.
BlueOx tow system
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:57 PM   #7

THOR #4681
Good Sam trip planner

If you have never used this trip planner...be aware that if you aren't zoomed in as close as you can get, this will have you off route just a bit. I checked my directions after plotting my route and it had 97 different turns!! I zoomed in to see what the problem was and the waypoint dot was off on several side streets that you cant see when you're zoomed out. The planner had me taking exits to surface streets and had me driving in circles to get back to the intended route! Lesson learned. Glad I checked things before saving and taking off to my destination
Old 09-24-2016, 05:12 PM   #8

THOR #4681
Headed home

Well it's been a VERY short week in Maine with very little time to see all the things the wife and I wanted to do. The weather was beautiful, even with a little rain, and of course the best day would have to be today with a temp in the middle 60's and bright blue skies. I absolutely love this place and have even discussed moving back here but the winters are just to harsh and we both prefer "warmer" temps. I don't think that there is a single stretch of road that isn't under construction or needing construction I went with the I95-I81-I84 route because of the tolls and tunnels, a bit longer but still not a bad drive. This was the first major trip with the FE22 and all in all it did pretty good 7.6 mpg and the last I checked it appeared to be increasing. The semi's still blow the rig around somewhat so I'm going to have to look into a larger dampener for the front end. I've already had the front end fixed at the alignment shop...WAY OUT!!!!, no thanks to CW or THOR as yet, not holding my breath. I replaced the stock sway bars with the HELWIG both front and rear and I think that I may look into the sumo shock system to help with those not so smooth roads. The fresh water tank sensor has stopped working, just discovered, also discovered the fresh water tank is only strapped down with ONE strap and it's not even where it's supposed to be, anyone else run into that?? The bathroom door seems to have been affected by the humidity and swelled at the bottom. Looking at the door, it could've been raised off the floor a tad bit more than what they did but I can fix that. Lets hope the return trip is an uneventful one...have to drive this one straight through