Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2021, 01:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Virginia
THOR #19875
RV Friendly Fuel Stops with TOAD

I'm about to embark on my first "real" road trip. A little concerned about finding accessible fuel stops for an ACE with a minivan on a tow dolly along the way (don't want to get trapped in a bad situation). See some websites like RV gas buddy, but when i randomly picked a location and viewed overhead images, it was suggesting something in an industrial park really off the beaten path! Would love some advice/suggestions.

Old 06-28-2021, 01:38 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
I usually plan my trips using RV Trip Wizard. I then go to Google Maps and follow the route planned. Using the satellite view, I look at the areas where I believe a fuel stop will be made and search for a gas station that appears to have room for an RV w/toad to safety get in and out. Occasionally I have to plan fuel stops sooner than I would have liked in order to gain access to the pumps.
If on the interstate, Pilot/Flying J are usually my first choice. Shell is another one that I have used. When not traveling on the interstate, Walmart/Sam’s stations usually have adequate space.
When approaching the fuel pumps, I try to plan my entry/exit strategy so I don’t get trapped in.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:14 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Google Aerial Views is your best medicine. This is the biggest reason I tow a car hauler with the car on it. More than not I've have to back up a few feet to position at the pump, exit a pump island or negotiate a tight turn out. It can be traffic positioned at the station as well as the property layout. Choose huge stations ahead of time and scan like crazy as you pull in. It cuts down on your ability to price buy a bit but nothing is worse than having to unhook the toad in the middle of all that drama.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:17 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I also use StreetView in google to check out the pumps to see if its easy or not.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:09 PM   #5

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Costco
Old 06-28-2021, 03:14 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
How about Pilot and Flying-J?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:16 PM   #7

Model: Miramar
THOR #22927
Yes. I use also Costco better on price, if it’s convenient.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:17 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
How about Pilot and Flying-J?
Not all PFJ are accessible by a large rig towing. There is one off I82 in Virginia around exit 213 that is a nightmare for large rigs. It was difficult in a class c towing
Old 06-28-2021, 10:25 PM   #9

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Not all PFJ are accessible by a large rig towing. There is one off I82 in Virginia around exit 213 that is a nightmare for large rigs. It was difficult in a class c towing

Exactly! Most of the older ones are small and tight. Most of the new locations are huge with dozens of pumps and islands installed at angles. Again...aerial view and street view tells all.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:41 PM   #10

Model: Windsport 27B
State: Maryland
THOR #20189
I agreed with Pilot and Flying J. Google street views is how I plan most new trips, especially if traveling smaller roads. It gives me some level of comfort that I am familiar with the roads and turns.
I also try to fill up BEFORE getting to camp at the end of the day. Better prepared for storms or others situations if the park loses power and I need my generator.
I have also used the KOA trip planner when covering lots of miles. Most KOA's close to the highway are also close to a larger gas station.
Old 07-10-2021, 12:39 PM   #11

Brand: DRV
Model: 2010 MS 38TKSB3
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3240
In some areas, even truck stops are fairly scarce. We pull a 38 1/2-foot fifth wheel with a Ford F450, and on a trip back to Oklahoma from Utah, we traveled across I-70 from Salina, UT to around Highway 24 just west of Vail, CO. After Green River, UT, I never saw a truck stop next to the interstate.

I had found a Kum-n-Go convenience store that I thought gave me plenty of room when looking at it with Google Map's satellite view. When I got there to fill up, I ended up having to back out again to the street because of the number of vehicles around the pumps and the store.
Terry and Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 03:49 PM   #12

THOR #11130
Another benefit of street view is canopy clearance. I've seen a few older stations ahead of time from this view that had 10' canopies. Most of the ones less than 16' are marked along the top of the canopy.
Old 07-10-2021, 04:09 PM   #13
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry and Jo View Post
In some areas, even truck stops are fairly scarce. We pull a 38 1/2-foot fifth wheel with a Ford F450, and on a trip back to Oklahoma from Utah, we traveled across I-70 from Salina, UT to around Highway 24 just west of Vail, CO. After Green River, UT, I never saw a truck stop next to the interstate.

I had found a Kum-n-Go convenience store that I thought gave me plenty of room when looking at it with Google Map's satellite view. When I got there to fill up, I ended up having to back out again to the street because of the number of vehicles around the pumps and the store.
If you are looking for diesel and can use truck lanes and are enrolled in the TSD Logistics fuel program you can use TSD Open Roads or the EFS app to locate stations where the EFS card is accepted. The EFS card is used at truck diesel pumps only. The EFS app will often list stations that are not part of the TSD program and displayed in Open Roads.

I'm currently in Gillette, WY and truck stops across the state a few and far between, however, there are stations normally thought of as convenience stores that also have high flow diesel pumps for trucks.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 04:16 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I have found that getting fuel is a crap shot. No matter what online service you use it can not tell you how busy a fuel stop will be when you get there. The size of the crownd can make even the largest, most spacious fuel island a tough spot to be in when driving a camping rig of any length. I start my fuel search at 1/2 tank and try not to pass any appropriately sized station regardless of brand. That being said, if there is a Buc-ee's along the route, they are overly large and do not allow big rig trucks. This makes filling the RV easy.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:29 PM   #15

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #6457
Usually Pilot's can accommodate. You are doing the right thing by checking overhead. We have an ACE with a toad on a dolly
Old 07-10-2021, 06:54 PM   #16

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: Nebraska
THOR #3161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmgsteve View Post
I'm about to embark on my first "real" road trip. A little concerned about finding accessible fuel stops for an ACE with a minivan on a tow dolly along the way (don't want to get trapped in a bad situation). See some websites like RV gas buddy, but when i randomly picked a location and viewed overhead images, it was suggesting something in an industrial park really off the beaten path! Would love some advice/suggestions.
Flying Js usually have RV lanes. If u go to their website u can search for stations which have RV lanes, propane, etc. Pilots don’t usually have RV lanes. Sometimes u have to get assertive when trying to get a spot at a station. If there isn’t an open one that’ll work I will go stand by one that will work and when it’s current occupant finishes I stand in the way of anyone else until my husband can pull our ACE 30.1 with toad into the pump. When my husband asks which of 2-3 stations he should use my answer: the one we can get in and out of. Finally, as soon as we fill up I identify our next station so we know whether we have to fill sooner/later.
Old 07-10-2021, 06:59 PM   #17

Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
I always worried about the same thing. I went online to the Flying J site and printed the list of stations. Using the list you can even enter the address into your GPS and plan your trip. The list will tell you whether the Flying J or Pilot has RV lanes.

You can print the list by state and just follow the highway to the station with the next RV lane

Most of us can’t afford a diesel so planning includes the location of RV friendly gasoline stops. Almost all Flying J’s fo have RV lanes. Pilots do also but the online list will tell you if they do or not.

I was fortunate enough to be able to afford a diesel and bought one last March. But, I remember the difficulty I had in finding fuel for the past 15 years.

Try my suggestion and it will take at least some of the worry in planning your trip.

Phil

2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33aa
Old 07-10-2021, 08:56 PM   #18

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
At 55' with the jeep being towed I never really had a problem. Yes I look at the station before pulling in and pick the pump with easy out when done. Sometimes I have to wait to get the pump I want but it's never really been a problem

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 09:13 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
I turn off POI's in GPS for gas station. I only use POI for truck stops.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:31 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
And then there is Buc-ees a real fuel stop paradise. The food is quite good, also. Breakfast starts at 4 am.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel stops