Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2017, 01:44 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 35 M
State: New York
THOR #6832
Ny to San Diego trip plan

First stop Nashville then heading west. Any advice. Possibly thinking Austin then, but we don't know. Flying by the seat of our pants with our new Windsport 35 m.
Looking for a good route. Thanks

Old 10-19-2017, 01:57 AM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
That's the best route, wherever the seat of your pants takes you! Enjoy the trip, go wherever which ever way the wind blows.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:32 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
If you will be traveling through Colorado, I70 west to I15 south is good roads and nice country to see. Check the weather as some of the higher elevations have already had snow. I think I 40 is a little more south and will take you through New Mexico and Arizona. Can't much beyond that. Have a safe trip!
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:27 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Yep - the trip out west is GREAT. If the weather holds take I-70 out then I-15. Colorado is terrific, Utah is Canyon Country and Arch country (Bryce, Zion and Moab even the north rim of Grand Canyon), then Las Vegas and on into San Diego. On your way back (if you are going back) follow I-10. Lots to do there also. Totally different terrain, mostly desert until you get back to eastern Texas. We traveled each of these and it is hard to pick a favorite. BUT WATCH THE WEATHER. Lots of snow coming in AND high winds in the desert (Calif, Arizona and New Mexico).

Biggest thing ENJOY the vagabond style - we love it. Our journey is the destination.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:02 PM   #5

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I-70 across Colorado is beautiful, but beware, those high altitudes are very prone to blizzards and lots of ice, from mid-August to June. Once you get to I-15, your weather challenges are much less, maybe some wind, possible anywhere along I-15. What's your destination in San Diego? We go to San Diego a lot, its about 2 to 2/1/2 hours from home.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:45 AM   #6

Model: Thor Chateau 31w
State: New York
THOR #3786
A place I am thinking of stopping is a reproduction of Noah's ark in Kentucky called the "Ark". It is suppose to be 5 footballs fields long and largest wooden structure in the world. Theirs museums and shops inside. Have a great trip. My favorite place to stop is tombstone Arizona. The RV park is right in the middle of the old west town. The whole town is supper dog friendly--i brought my lab on the trolley for the ghost tour at night.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #7

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Illinois
THOR #7085
How about researching and following whats left of Old Route 66? We plan on that "someday".
Old 10-25-2017, 11:41 PM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary d View Post
First stop Nashville then heading west. Any advice. Possibly thinking Austin then, but we don't know. Flying by the seat of our pants with our new Windsport 35 m. Looking for a good route. Thanks

A trip like this could take years! The Creation Museum and the Ark mentioned would be an interesting stop, as would Nashville. You might want to consider a more southerly route on the return trip, if you plan to return, to reduce your weather risk. Enjoy your adventures!