Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2020, 04:02 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24FS
State: New Mexico
THOR #12181
Scam alert!!!! must read

Hello all, Two months ago I used reserve America to reserve some camp grounds for next year. Today I was going over my credit card charges and found a charge for $89.95 from ACTIVE ADVANTAGE.com. The internet is full of pissed off people that were scammed by this company. Every one said the same thing, They did not sign up for the 30 day free trial. If you ever used reserve America go back and check your past Billings. According to the web, There are many other online purchases that will get you in trouble with this F- rated BBB company

Old 04-01-2020, 09:59 AM   #2

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
So how do you know Reserve America was behind or associated with this charge. Have you contacted the bank who issued your credit card and reported an unauthorized charge? Have you contacted Reserve America?
Old 04-01-2020, 02:07 PM   #3

THOR #12181
I at first couldn't figure out where it came from. Then I did web search on ACTIVE ADVANTAGE.com. scam. There was so much info avail online. Most of the people were caught up in this mess from signing up for running races and sporting events. Then a victim said he got scammed while signing up for reserve America. I checked my transactions and I was charged 30 days after signing up for camping. Technically it's not a scam but a big deception. ACTIVE ADVANTAGE.com. finally emailed me back and said they will refund my money.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:09 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
On another note

Marriot was hacked - again. Be diligent and watch your accounts carefully if you've ever used them for anything in the last 5 years or so.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:34 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
They have had this for years. It is in fine print where you check out. It says or did say if you do not want this service check this box,
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:16 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I have seen this too when checking out on reserveamerica. Shame on them for making it so we must opt out to prevent that surprise billing.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:29 AM   #7

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Dang! Is it not awful when capitalists start capitalizing to make capital and make the shareholders happy? Caveat emptor
Old 04-02-2020, 01:37 AM   #8

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
Dang! Is it not awful when capitalists start capitalizing to make capital and make the shareholders happy? Caveat emptor
Only when it's deceptively buried where a trusting constituent might not check. A reputable firm would have you opt-in, not having to opt-out.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:51 PM   #9

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #9543
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2 View Post
I at first couldn't figure out where it came from. Then I did web search on ACTIVE ADVANTAGE.com. scam. There was so much info avail online. Most of the people were caught up in this mess from signing up for running races and sporting events. Then a victim said he got scammed while signing up for reserve America. I checked my transactions and I was charged 30 days after signing up for camping. Technically it's not a scam but a big deception. ACTIVE ADVANTAGE.com. finally emailed me back and said they will refund my money.
No; don't wait for them to do that. If they are a SCAM company, are you going to believe 'the checks in the mail'? Call your credit card company and dispute the charge. You should have already done that.
2017 36RSSB3--2012 F350 KR, LWB, SRW, bilsteins, 1 1/4" anti sway bar, bilstein steering stabilizer, airlift air bags, on board wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, all synthetic fluids; KEM, Tyrant, and PIP tunes with SCT X4 programming, G37 2017 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission and torque convertor, Edge CTS gauge monitoring.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:56 PM   #10

THOR #9543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
I have seen this too when checking out on reserveamerica. Shame on them for making it so we must opt out to prevent that surprise billing.
This is not 'buyer beware', this is a fraudulent practice. I've recently changed, internet, cell phone and home phone. I learned the hard way, that every new account automatically checks 'Yes' on receiving promotional information. I could not figure out why my mail box was full of ads until I went into one of the accounts for information and found the contact list. After checking the others, I discovered entire page full of 2d and 3d party sharing.
2017 36RSSB3--2012 F350 KR, LWB, SRW, bilsteins, 1 1/4" anti sway bar, bilstein steering stabilizer, airlift air bags, on board wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, all synthetic fluids; KEM, Tyrant, and PIP tunes with SCT X4 programming, G37 2017 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission and torque convertor, Edge CTS gauge monitoring.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:22 PM   #11

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
This is not 'buyer beware', this is a fraudulent practice. I've recently changed, internet, cell phone and home phone. I learned the hard way, that every new account automatically checks 'Yes' on receiving promotional information. I could not figure out why my mail box was full of ads until I went into one of the accounts for information and found the contact list. After checking the others, I discovered entire page full of 2d and 3d party sharing.
This is not nearly pervasive as third party tracking cookies present on your phone and browser cache. Google it. Seriously. They have apps that will show you where the cookies are going and how they multiply along the way. Always block third party cookies.

Exception: I'm in the unfortunate position that my bank uses a third party to process and maintain their online banking system. It requires third party cookies are enabled so, as much as a PITA as it might be, I enable them for that session, subsequently disable them and then shut down my browser to clear my tracks (yes, ALL my tracks). Google hates me and people like me. They can go pound salt.

p.s. and Adblock Plus drives them and others absolutely bonkers. They make it for your browser and phone.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:27 PM   #12

THOR #9543
Yes, but usually you can’t operate on a Computer without cookies. And, tracking cookies don’t send you emails.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:09 PM   #13

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
In my best Steve Martin voice:
'I'm reeaading some victim hoood heeerrre!'

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:03 AM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Ventana LE
State: Tennessee
THOR #16834
I have used Reserve America a few times to reserve a campground in my wife's hometown in Northern Minnesota. The campground only takes reservations from RA. I just made one early February for mid-July.

Never had any problems with RA, but then being a former IT guru, I always scroll to the bottom and look for those "automatically checked" options for stuff that I don't want/need.

IMO, I would have called the credit card company and disputed the charges. Mine takes disputed charges off immediately and follows up with the source of the charge.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:28 AM   #15

THOR #12189
Guru is a pretty strong conviction with many IT disciplines.

[Looking for] Mr. Goodbar is a 1977 American crime drama film, based on Judith Rossner's best-selling novel of the same name, which was inspired by the 1973 murder of New York City schoolteacher Roseann Quinn, who led something of a double life.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:28 AM   #16
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
Wrong. The practice is perfectly legal and it is not fraudulent. The purchaser of a service is responsible for reading and accepting the terms of an agreement before completing the purchase. This option is clearly marked on the website and so happens to be a opt out option rather than an opt in option. Basically there are three options which are:

1. Read the sites' information more closely before agreeing to a transactions
2. Stop using the site and if it means stop making campground reservations then that is an option as well
3. File a complaint with the folks using Reserve America for reservations and request that this become an opt in rather than opt out. Depending on their contract terms with Reserve America maybe the option will change but then again maybe it won't

Just because a site user does not read all aspects of the agreement they are entering into doesn't mean the site is a scam or fraudulent.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 02:05 AM   #17

THOR #12181
Good news, I was refunded my money. Seems they are getting better at doing so. I usually read everything carefully when dealing online. In this case I was trying to book popular camp grounds in Florida for next winter. The sites were booking up immediately for next year so I rushed thru the process.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:37 AM   #18

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Ventana LE
State: Tennessee
THOR #16834
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Guru is a pretty strong conviction with many IT disciplines.

[Looking for] Mr. Goodbar is a 1977 American crime drama film, based on Judith Rossner's best-selling novel of the same name, which was inspired by the 1973 murder of New York City schoolteacher Roseann Quinn, who led something of a double life.

In my case "Mr.Goodbar" was in reference to the candy bar, that and good friend from the 70's used it as a nick name for my real last name.

I used "guru" because of 44 years of working on, supporting, programming, everything from IBM, HP, GE, Honeywell, Bull, Digital Equipment, and Tandem mainframes to servers, and PCs. Most non-IT people have probably never heard of some of these companies.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:19 AM   #19

THOR #9543
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Wrong. The practice is perfectly legal and it is not fraudulent. The purchaser of a service is responsible for reading and accepting the terms of an agreement before completing the purchase. This option is clearly marked on the website and so happens to be a opt out option rather than an opt in option. Basically there are three options which are:

1. Read the sites' information more closely before agreeing to a transactions
2. Stop using the site and if it means stop making campground reservations then that is an option as well
3. File a complaint with the folks using Reserve America for reservations and request that this become an opt in rather than opt out. Depending on their contract terms with Reserve America maybe the option will change but then again maybe it won't

Just because a site user does not read all aspects of the agreement they are entering into doesn't mean the site is a scam or fraudulent.
Yeah, right.